Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frakchaw View Post
    Blizzard should really hire some people that actually enjoy lore and make damn sure things are actually accurate and work in a game environment.

Hell I have no qualifications what-so-ever but I'd gladly fact check their shit for free... plenty would.
    The sad thing is, they have. The guy who used to run Scrolls of Lore got hired by them SPECIFICALLY for this job. However, they're a gameplay-first company and the lore department has pretty much zero say against the devs, leading to the absolute, horrific mess we get ingame versus how things tend to mesh much better amongst one another in the novels (Golden, at least, can keep track of her own plot developments between books, unlike the Blizzard devs between expansions).

I imagine much of his time on the clock consists of sobbing into his hands as he's completely ignored by the would-be rockstar devs sipping expensive coffee while they drive the game into the ground.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you could speculate that Talador is the Draenei name and Terokkar the Arakkoa name for the same place or different parts of it. But it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either.

Blades edge is an odd one as its clearly a massive over sight on their part. As it was called blades edge mountains in beyond the dark portal I think?

Also, what did happen to our Outland, obviously we can still go there in game, but what about lore wise? I presume since we cleared out the major legion and illidari forces the place is pretty much under control along with the ogres there being pretty much cut down and their leaders killed.

Would be interesting to know whats become of it. Personally I think its a bit of a lost opportunity to have had Akama brought into WoD, perhaps to find a way to help his people in the future he could go back to the un-corrupted black temple to get something/someone to help him. Would have been interesting at least.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's literally a forest in Talador that has a flightpoint called the "Terokkar refuge" in WoD.

What are you guys even complaining about.

There are quite a few differences between Draenor and Outland/preOutland Draenor, and I prefer to treat this AU Draenor as a different version that doesn't necessarily have the same history as ours. This is backed up by species existing in Draenor with no proof of them in Outland, or vice-versa.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    That's nice but "don't bash Blizzard" aside, it's a central, straight-down-the-road-of-truth, factual statement when someone says "Blizzard just sort of rewrote things because they either forgot or just didn't care." To belittle people by calling them "edgy" isn't helping your position.
    No it's not factual:
    "Blizzard just sort of rewrote things" is loose, sloppy and imprecise language.
    "They either forgot or just didn't care" is just pure conjecture. Even if you don't like it, for all you know the ret-conning was carefully considered to produce a coherent story for this expansion.

I have no idea either way and, I think like most players, too little grasp of the lore to be bothered. I have learned all my lore through playing WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by ct67 View Post
    Even if you don't like it, for all you know the ret-conning was carefully considered to produce a coherent story for this expansion.
    Given Blizz's history of admittedly sloppy ret-cons in the past (see Draenei for details) I'm inclined to believe that was not at all the case.

Also, the story in WoD is marginally coherent at best, and barely counts as a story. It's the messiest narrative they've had since Cata, which previously held the title for 'worst story', and that's saying something.

Talon-King Terokk

Terokkar Forest

MIND=BLOWN

Retcons. Changing Warcrafts lore since 2004.

Deleted
    Temple of Sha'naar is located far too west in Hellfire, or too east in Tanaan. Zeth'gor and Zeth'gol difference. Shattrath in Draenor being silver/purple and completely different design and layout, while in Terokkar it is dark green/brown.
    Many inconsistencies.

Maybe it's like Deutschland and Germany. Some call it oneway some the other.

Shattrath in TBC is a rebuild from ruins.

Also, the whole planet exploded. Some parts flew away, some got merged creating new mountains.
    Last edited by Heldamon; 2015-07-23 at 12:21 PM.

Deleted
    Blizzard had no red shirt guy to tell them they're about to do some bullshit that's ignorant of their own universe.

They didn't want that every zone on Draenor has the same name as the Outland zones.

Nagrand & Shadowmoon valley werre bearable but if they had named every zone just like the Outland ones and designed them that way, people would cry over "Just a rehash!".
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2015-07-23 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ct67 View Post
    No it's not factual:
    "Blizzard just sort of rewrote things" is loose, sloppy and imprecise language.
    "They either forgot or just didn't care" is just pure conjecture. Even if you don't like it, for all you know the ret-conning was carefully considered to produce a coherent story for this expansion.

I have no idea either way and, I think like most players, too little grasp of the lore to be bothered. I have learned all my lore through playing WoW.
    Actually, it is factual. The relationship between Sargeras and the Eredar was retconned because Metzen not only forgot what he originally wrote, but didn't even bother to go back and read what he originally wrote to remind himself while writing The Burning Crusade. They didn't even know it was a mistake until Draenei were announced and players went, "Wait, what?"

Then of course there's the fiasco with Falstad, Kurdran, the Council of the Three Hammers, and Red Shirt Guy. Blizzard didn't even bother to check whether one of its racial leaders was alive or dead in the lore, or who the racial leader was even supposed to be.
    Last edited by Cooper; 2015-07-23 at 12:47 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't like this "word", but... in this case... the answer is really "lorelol".
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    YouTubers are a plague. Fuck 'em. All of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heldamon View Post
    Maybe it's like Deutschland and Germany. Some call it oneway some the other.
    Never understood why they don't call it Germanien instead.

I do have to give Blizz the credit for one thing. At the very least they had the decency to make WoD an alternate reality, better than trying to pretend they could ever be consistent with lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always figured Terrokar forest was the zone that Shattrath was in. So it doesn't bug me.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    What happened was Blizzard has no long-term plan and is just making this shit up as they go along.
    Sounds like most writers/authors.

You seriously think this is new to just Blizzard's Warcraft? Pffft.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    What happened was Blizzard has no long-term plan and is just making this shit up as they go along.
    ^ This. Exactly and entirely this.

They don't hold the lore sacred at all and just make up whatever shit they want and don't care how much retconning it does in the process. It's why I facepalm whenever anyone tries to defend lore in this game.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.