Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Blue Bear View Post
    Sounds like most writers/authors.

You seriously think this is new to just Blizzard's Warcraft? Pffft.
    It being common doesn't make it good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    But in Beyond the Dark Portal Blade's Edge is described exactly like Blade's Edge Mountains in BC. Nothing about it matches WoD's portrayal of it.
    Because the land could have already been shifting in Beyond the Dark portal. Since it takes place after the Cipher of Damnation would have been used. WoD portrayal takes place before any of the events in Beyond the Dark Portal could take place in the AU. So why would it even be remotely close?

Similar to the scenario above, in Rise of the Horde Terokkar Forest is described exactly like BC's Terokkar Forest, it looks nothing like Talador.
    Rise of the Horde has the Exodar in it which arrived after Draenor was already beginning to change.

So, people calling a shovel, a shovel are edgy. Instead you suggest we go around and make up headcanon to excuse the fact that Blizzard's writers are awful? You are the literal definition of a white knight.
    Pot calling the Kettle black.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

You know, at the end of the day does it even matter?

And further, is their way of doing things in this regard going to change?

The only thing that can change, or has a chance to, is how we react to it. Been many long years now and their way of doing things is pretty well entrenched.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's also completely possible that AU Draenor isn't exactly like our universe's Draenor was.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    Eh, Draenei went about naming the lands they settled as well. The Orcs accepted the name Draenor, because they didn't have a word for the world yet. Perhaps they had a word for Talador forest already, Terokkar, and that became the dominant name after all the Draenei calling it Talador were killed off.

I mean yeah, it's a retcon. Blizz didn't want to validate people calling WoD an Outland clone too much. Fair enough. Doesn't mean we can't give it a legitimate possible explanation without hopping aboard the Hate Train. Too many people enter these threads just to shoehorn in their edgy opinion of "Blizz sucks at lore now".
    You do realize that Terokkar wasn't named by the draenei right? Terokk-ar. It was named by the Arakoa.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    You do realize that Terokkar wasn't named by the draenei right? Terokk-ar. It was named by the Arakoa.
    I think you may be misreading that post. What I said back there was that the Draenei may have been calling it Talador when they controlled those lands, rather than Terokkar. I know Terokkar is a name it got because of the Arakkoa. Possibly it even held that name in times long before the Draenei even arrived. We may never know for certain.

The point of that post was that it's possible the different races had different names for the same forest. And with the Draenei gone from it in Outland, the name Terokkar becoming dominant again. Talador seems much more a Draenei name. Perhaps even a Draeneiic word.
    Last edited by Caerule; 2015-07-24 at 06:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Because the land could have already been shifting in Beyond the Dark portal. Since it takes place after the Cipher of Damnation would have been used. WoD portrayal takes place before any of the events in Beyond the Dark Portal could take place in the AU. So why would it even be remotely close?
    I mean, your entire post is full of unsupported, absurd justifications, so let's go through this step by step.

The land wasn't already "shifting" (in terms of how Blade's Edge was allegedly formed, as explained at Blizzcon 2013) in Beyond the Dark Portal. The Cipher of Damnation specifically had no large effects on geography (Elemental Severance aside). Furthermore, if we were to see more widespread changes in geography, it would have been far more likely to have been in Terokkar Forest, which shares a border with Shadowmoon Valley, than the Blade's Edge Mountains on the opposite end of the continent. Finally, at Blizzcon 2013, Blizzard stated that "the Blade's Edge Mountains were formed when Frostfire Ridge and Gorgrond collided into one another as Draenor blew up," there isn't any talk of the Cipher of Damnation, and it's a blatant retcon of Beyond the Dark Portal.

Rise of the Horde has the Exodar in it which arrived after Draenor was already beginning to change.
    You should probably work on your timelines before spouting absolute stupidity. The section I quoted from Rise of the Horde, took place during Durotan's childhood, far before any changes to Draenor.

Pot calling the Kettle black.
    This actually isn't a case of "the pot calling the kettle black." I'd like to say: "You tried," but as with the rest of your post, you clearly didn't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Retcons. Changing Warcrafts lore since 2004.

Right, since 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Can you even read? He said the draenei named it TALADOR, not Terokkar.

Which implies the orcs named it Terokkar, even more laughable. They didn't even know about the arakkoa's existence, if they did it would've been mentioned in the book.

God damnit. It was Talador, later renamed to Terrokar by its inahbitants, in the novel we got the name "Terrokar" because that's what we knew the land is called, and we have easier time identifying the location, instead of redundancy like 'they ventured into Talador, which is exactly where Terrokar is'. If Blizzard came up with a name for a miniscule detail right then and there, then they would be obliged to follow it in WoD, which is quite bad, because arguably much more thought was put into the name Talador than would have been put at the time of writing the novel.
    We didn't know the history of the place at the time, so that's what they went for. Now we are in the 'past', and know everything about it, we can point out the discrepancies, but that's not bad writing, that's expanding the lore. It's like looking at very old history books. They make do with info that they had at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Which implies the orcs named it Terokkar, even more laughable. They didn't even know about the arakkoa's existence, if they did it would've been mentioned in the book.
    Orcs don't have to be the ones to have named it, for them to take over the name.

It's true Arakkoa were first described in the Beyond the Dark Portal book, and there was no mention of them beforehand, so Blizzard probably thought up the name of the forest, before they thought up Terokk. Still, the Orcs did know of the Arakkoa according to current lore. They were a big threat to the Blooding Hollow in Kilrogg's Warlords movie thing. Arak was also intact, so at least the Shattered Hand, if they lived there in our timeline, would know of them very well too.

Now, it's unsure how the orcs came to know it as Terokkar. Arakkoa, Orcs, Ogres, even Gronn, passed through those woods, long before the Draenei even got there. Any of those races could have picked up the name from the Arakkoa, potentially. And passed it on further.

What is more certain is that the forest probably had a name before the Draenei arrived. And it is likely the Draenei to give it a name like Talador.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also aswell the Black Citadel used to be Hellfire Citadel but they changed it to Shadowmoon Valley later on. Its still in the old maps though. But yeah Terrokar in the book is very vague and i think they just wrote over it for the sake of a quest zone. OR it could be spires of arak and a consequence of Terrok dying or some shit i dunno.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is more certain is that the forest probably had a name before the Draenei arrived. And it is likely the Draenei to give it a name like Talador.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirilka View Post
    God damnit. It was Talador, later renamed to Terrokar by its inahbitants, in the novel we got the name "Terrokar" because that's what we knew the land is called, and we have easier time identifying the location, instead of redundancy like 'they ventured into Talador, which is exactly where Terrokar is'.
    And still you people are intentionally ignoring the fact that Terokkar as described in Rise of the Horde (During Durotan's Childhood) was described as looking more like BC's Terokkar Forest, and less like WoD's Talador.

It's more than a damned name change. I know it's tempting to ignore things so that you can defend Blizzard, but please don't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    And still you people are intentionally ignoring the fact that Terokkar as described in Rise of the Horde (During Durotan's Childhood) was described as looking more like BC's Terokkar Forest, and less like WoD's Talador.

It's more than a damned name change. I know it's tempting to ignore things so that you can defend Blizzard, but please don't do that.
    As Wayne said they changed things like the Black citadel being black temple and was originally in hellfire. Terokkar having its name changed and look change is indeed odd. It felt like the previous zone but also different if that makes sense. I guess it is just one of those changes blizzard makes and just tells us to accept it.

If they are the "same" wasn't our timeline/universe what have you wrecked by all the magic from the portals that tore Outlands apart? *Shrug* maybe all that portal magic swirling about and portals dying/destroyed caused all sorts of havak that changed it to the way outlands is. And in AU Draenor none of that happened. Yet/.....?

Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    As Wayne said they changed things like the Black citadel being black temple and was originally in hellfire. Terokkar having its name changed and look change is indeed odd. It felt like the previous zone but also different if that makes sense. I guess it is just one of those changes blizzard makes and just tells us to accept it.
    I'm not aware of that change. In Rise of the Horde, Gul'dan is described as taking over the Temple of Karabor after the draenei there had been slaughtered, and redubbing it the Black Temple. It's also described to be in Shadowmoon Valley, like it is in current lore.

Hellfire Citadel is just referred to as Hellfire Citadel, the center of the orcs' might, with a path leading straight from the citadel to the Dark Portal, which is accurate with the in-game Hellfire Peninsula.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    Oh, that's exactly what it is, unfortunately. We have to accept it, but I'm personally fond of trying to hold their feet to the fire on these matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    If they are the "same" wasn't our timeline/universe what have you wrecked by all the magic from the portals that tore Outlands apart? *Shrug* maybe all that portal magic swirling about and portals dying/destroyed caused all sorts of havak that changed it to the way outlands is. And in AU Draenor none of that happened. Yet/.....?
    Except for the fact that your "theory" has been debunked multiple times in this thread. Rise of the Horde, during Durotan's childhood, gives a clear description of Terokkar Forest. It looks nothing like Talador, and this was before all of the "portal magic swirling and portals dying and all sorts of havak."

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    I'm not aware of that change. In Rise of the Horde, Gul'dan is described as taking over the Temple of Karabor after the draenei there had been slaughtered, and redubbing it the Black Temple. It's also described to be in Shadowmoon Valley, like it is in current lore.

Hellfire Citadel is just referred to as Hellfire Citadel, the center of the orcs' might, with a path leading straight from the citadel to the Dark Portal, which is accurate with the in-game Hellfire Peninsula.
    Apparently they confirmed it a while back "It has been confirmed that the Black Citadel later became the Black Temple (although its unclear why it was moved from Hellfire Peninsula to Shadowmoon Valley). For a full analysis of this issue, please see Black Citadel and Temple." From wowpedia. http://wow.gamepedia.com/Black_Citadel_and_Temple

I think its pretty accurate going from memory.

Eh, Draenei went about naming the lands they settled as well. The Orcs accepted the name Draenor, because they didn't have a word for the world yet. Perhaps they had a word for Talador forest already, Terokkar, and that became the dominant name after all the Draenei calling it Talador were killed off.

I mean yeah, it's a retcon. Blizz didn't want to validate people calling WoD an Outland clone too much. Fair enough. Doesn't mean we can't give it a legitimate possible explanation without hopping aboard the Hate Train. Too many people enter these threads just to shoehorn in their edgy opinion of "Blizz sucks at lore now".
    As far as i know Terokkar forest was named after Draenor blew up, when the evil Arakkoa invaded it, as Spires of Arak flew into space and it's named after Terokk who tries desperately to find help for his people.