Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Books] Help me find some fictional novels

Someone once talked about a novel or series where there was a world with elementalists and summoned minions, in a setting with kingdoms. Does anyone know what this series is?

Are there any novels about Heaven vs. Hell? Angels vs. demons, maybe from one of their perspectives?

Or novels with a mythological (Greek/Norse) setting (besides The Book of Swords by Fred Saberhagan)?

Can you think of anything with medieval/fantastic/wizardry (and captivating) that's not lotr, or the Shannara series? No Harry Potter please.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Are there any novels about Heaven vs. Hell? Angels vs. demons, maybe from one of their perspectives?
    You might be interested in Phillip J. Pullman's His Dark Materials. It's an interesting take on Theology.

You also mentioned no Shannara series in relation to the Medieval?fantastic/Wizardy genre, but have you read the Word and Void series? I thought it was quite a bit better than the Shannara series (even though it's technically a prequel).

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a friend once try to get me to read the Providence trilogy, which is about a war between heaven and hell and you follow a mortal girl who is stuck in between and in love with an angel. I thought it was a really boring and badly written YA novel, but it's about the closest thing I can think of to what you mentioned haha.

Deleted
    I'll give you three diferent settings with medievel/fantasy settings.

The magician from Raymond E. Feist

This one is true medievel fantasy setting with elves, wizards and whatnot.

For the second, I'll recomend tre Mistborn trilogy from Brandon Sanderson

This one a bit of a diferent as it is not true medievel/ fantasy, I'd consider it more Sci-Fi parallel universe thingie myself.

And for last I'll just say Wheel of time series.

EDIT: I had links to goodreads for all of them but mmochamp thinks I am a suspicious individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    You might be interested in Phillip J. Pullman's His Dark Materials. It's an interesting take on Theology.

You also mentioned no Shannara series in relation to the Medieval?fantastic/Wizardy genre, but have you read the Word and Void series? I thought it was quite a bit better than the Shannara series (even though it's technically a prequel).
    I'll check out His Dark Materials, thanks.

I read The Talismans and intend to read the series. I should have rephrased as I know of Shannara. I read the Hobbit and disliked it, that's why no lotr. I can't stand Harry Potter.

I loved everything about Chrysalids, is there a series for it or similar books?

As much as I loved The Book of Swords (series) by Fred Saberhagan, I was disappointed by his other works.

I loved Misery by Steven King and liked Thinner......then said wtf when he introduced the pie. I liked the concepts of 1984 but disliked other aspects of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CiaphasCain View Post

For the second, I'll recomend tre Mistborn trilogy from Brandon Sanderson
    I think that's the one with the elementalists!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Avenette View Post
    I had a friend once try to get me to read the Providence trilogy, which is about a war between heaven and hell and you follow a mortal girl who is stuck in between and in love with an angel. I thought it was a really boring and badly written YA novel, but it's about the closest thing I can think of to what you mentioned haha.
    How would you describe the supernatural element of it - or was it a "mundane New York City setting" where the angel visits her? I stuff like Constantine and Legion.

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King might be one to try. It's my most shameful "haven't read yet" series.

The Dresden Files start slow, but apparently get good. Think Harry Potter concept with wizards and supernatural elements in the modern world, but the wizard is an adult and a private investigator. If I recall his magic staff is a hockey stick.

I'll get flak for it, but I enjoy R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt series set in Forgotten Realms. As far as books go, they're more your summer blockbuster type. Action, adventure, nothing terribly deep and thought provoking but fun popcorn series. I do feel like Salvatore's one of the best for detailing sword fights, though. I like the supporting cast a lot too.

If you've not read Lord of the Rings, you might still try it. The Hobbit was written as a children's book for ages 8 or so at the time if I recall specifics. The Lord of the Rings is the more adult/mature book with a lot more things going on and less whimsy. That said, a lot of people don't care for the detail Tolkien puts into them, describing the area and details surrounding its history or events. It can move slow at times. I only mention this since you referred to The Hobbit and felt it worth noting there are differences between the two in style. After all, one is about a troupe of dwarves going after a treasure. The other is basically about humanity struggling against the embodiment of evil seeking to conquer the world.

If you want some fantasy with humor, check out Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, where the laws of reason are suspect and ridiculousness may be the answer to the problem. Pratchett plays with tropes and their absurdity at times. Only specific that comes to mind is firing an arrow with a rope to hit a difficult target is made EASIER if you take a few extra steps back and blindfold yourself. The hero always makes the impossible shot, not the difficult one, after all!

Another I haven't gotten too far into is by Elizabeth Hayden called Rhapsody. The main character is basically a bard, but the difference here is they learn the true names of things and can thereby use songs to affect the world around them. Knowing the true name of grass allows her to chant a song softly while laying in the grass and it will move to keep her covered and hidden when she's being searched for. There's a trilogy of them. The fourth book is the same characters in a new journey/adventure so think of it as a trilogy for the original story.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2015-07-22 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    -snip-
    The Dark Tower seems cool but the hockey stick was a turn off. I don't know what it is but Tolkien's The Hobbit just seems artificial to me. Hobbit and lotr = reluctant yet lucky little shits who get carried through adventures...next adventure comes and the protagonists hide again. No thanks...and I like details.

The Dark Tower seems cool but the hockey stick was a turn off. I don't know what it is but Tolkien's The Hobbit just seems artificial to me. Hobbit and lotr = reluctant yet lucky little shits who get carried through adventures...next adventure comes and the protagonists hide again. No thanks...and I like details.
    Hockey stick?

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Hockey stick?
    "The Dresden Files start slow, but apparently get good. Think Harry Potter concept with wizards and supernatural elements in the modern world, but the wizard is an adult and a private investigator. If I recall his magic staff is a hockey stick."

"The Dresden Files start slow, but apparently get good. Think Harry Potter concept with wizards and supernatural elements in the modern world, but the wizard is an adult and a private investigator. If I recall his magic staff is a hockey stick."
    His staff isn't a hockey stick. What is this, the Canadian Wizard Files? Dresden files is amazing popcorn fiction, if that is what you are in the mood for. (and I frequently am)

Now, if you want summoning and elementalists, check out Butchers' OTHER series, Codex Alera.

I read a lot of fantasy, lets see what we can come up with.

Heaven vs Hell and religions vs religions is would be good with Glen Cooks' 'Instrumentalities' series, starts with 'Tyranny of the Night'. Cook also does an amazing fantasy 'detective' series with Garret P. I.

Richard K Morgan does a great fantasy series with 'A Land Fit for Heroes'.

Pratchett as talked about earlier is a master, his Discworld books all touch on different facets of our current society.

If you feel like sci-fi is ok, try the Gaunts Ghosts series in the black library.

If you want a huge long epic series that is everything that fantasy can be, the Malazan Book of the Fallen is the holy grail of the genre EPIC fantasy.

Joe Abercrombies 'First Law' trilogy (and the stand alones after) are good, gritty fantasy if that is what you are in the mood for.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

His staff isn't a hockey stick. What is this, the Canadian Wizard Files? Dresden files is amazing popcorn fiction, if that is what you are in the mood for. (and I frequently am)

Now, if you want summoning and elementalists, check out Butchers' OTHER series, Codex Alera.

I read a lot of fantasy, lets see what we can come up with.

Heaven vs Hell and religions vs religions is would be good with Glen Cooks' 'Instrumentalities' series, starts with 'Tyranny of the Night'. Cook also does an amazing fantasy 'detective' series with Garret P. I.

Richard K Morgan does a great fantasy series with 'A Land Fit for Heroes'.

Pratchett as talked about earlier is a master, his Discworld books all touch on different facets of our current society.

If you feel like sci-fi is ok, try the Gaunts Ghosts series in the black library.

If you want a huge long epic series that is everything that fantasy can be, the Malazan Book of the Fallen is the holy grail of the genre EPIC fantasy.

Joe Abercrombies 'First Law' trilogy (and the stand alones after) are good, gritty fantasy if that is what you are in the mood for.
    Thanks so much, I'm looking up everything now!

Is anyone familiar with Fred Saberhagan's work? Wat do you think of it?

I only read his swords stuff. The first 5 were good, the back 5 were declining in quality so much that I had to slog through them. Honestly its been a couple years and I couldn't even tell you what the books were about, and I've got no want to reread them, so meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Someone once talked about a novel or series where there was a world with elementalists and summoned minions, in a setting with kingdoms. Does anyone know what this series is?.
    Codex Alera by Jim Butcher

"For a thousand years, the people of Alera have united against the aggressive and threatening races that inhabit the world, using their unique bond with the furies - elementals of earth, air, fire, water, and metal. But now, Gaius Sextus, First Lord of Alera, grows old and lacks an heir. Ambitious High Lords plot and maneuver to place their Houses in positions of power, and a war of succession looms on the horizon." "Far from city politics in the Calderon Valley, the boy Tavi struggles with his lack of furycrafting. At fifteen, he has no wind fury to help him fly, no fire fury to light his lamps. Yet as the Alerans' most savage enemy - the Marat - return to the Valley, he will discover that his destiny is much greater than he could ever imagine." Caught in a storm of deadly wind furies, Tavi saves the life of a runaway slave named Amara. But she is actually a spy for Gaius Sextus, sent to the Valley to gather intelligence on traitors to the Crown, who may be in league with the barbaric Marat horde. And when the Valley erupts in chaos - when rebels war with loyalists and furies clash with furies - Amara will find Tavi's courage and resourcefulness to be a power greater than any fury - one that could turn the tides of war."

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    In the TV show the writers changed his staff to a hockey stick for some reason. Probably a mix between budget and laziness.

The Mistborn trilogy is a fantastic set of books, but it's probably not the elementalist book you're looking for.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

I only read his swords stuff. The first 5 were good, the back 5 were declining in quality so much that I had to slog through them. Honestly its been a couple years and I couldn't even tell you what the books were about, and I've got no want to reread them, so meh.
    First and back 5 books? Could you please tell me what they're called? I only know of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, books, and the lost books including: woundhealer, sightblinder, stonecutter, farslayer, coinspinner, mindsword, wayfinder, and shieldbreaker. What am I missing?

I thought Face of Apollo dragged on, the next one was worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    In the TV show the writers changed his staff to a hockey stick for some reason. Probably a mix between budget and laziness.

The Mistborn trilogy is a fantastic set of books, but it's probably not the elementalist book you're looking for.
    I can read it now knowing it's a staff. I don't know why I'm on this reading kick.
    Last edited by dextersmith; 2015-07-23 at 03:40 PM.

I just recently finished reading The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, both are fantastic books from an interesting perspective of a man who is considered to be the most notorious wizard ever telling his life story over the span of three days. Each book is one day, the third has yet to be finished.
    The future belongs not to those who wait...

Is there a sequel or series for The Chrysalids by John Wyndham?

I read The Talismans and intend to read the series. I should have rephrased as I know of Shannara. I read the Hobbit and disliked it, that's why no lotr. I can't stand Harry Potter.
    Word and Void is the same world as Shannara but not really at the same time. Shannara's world is our world thousands of years after a cataclysm. Word and Void is set in the "present" day (Late 90s early 2000s IIRC) and leads up to that cataclysm.

My husband is into a series by L.E. Modesitt. There are several book series by him. I personally haven't read any of the books, but my husband says they are really good and loves them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...=L.E.+Modesitt

10+ Year Old Account
    For a somewhat humorous take on Heaven vs. Hell and the Apocalypse, check out Good Omens by Neal Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

There is a series called the Bartimaeus Sequence by Jonathan Stroud that, even though it is a YA series, I thought had an interesting take on magic. It takes place in an alternate version of our world where magic has had an active role in the world that has greatly altered history and there is a class system with magicians as the governing class. The interesting part is magicians have no real magical powers themselves, but preforms magics indirectly by summoning and controlling various spirits like djinns and demons. There are three books in the main series set in pretty much modern times and a prequel that takes place during the time of King Solomon.