Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    and I'm saying they can be a bit more creative. not demanding it but it would be refreshing.
    Or they should just create what they are good at, instead of fucking up with something they have no knowledge off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Is this going to be a 'Yes it is', 'no its not' thing? Because if it is, we should just quit while we are ahead.
    Ethnicity was more important, but also irrelevant to the discussion, This about people whining about the large amount of white people in European medieval games.
    I thought it was about a person that wrote a paper on the subject and tried to come to the conclusion as to why that is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Or they should just create what they are good at, instead of fucking up with something they have no knowledge off.
    Well it spossible to do something you're not culturally familiar with well. As I said, Bioware's Jade Empire.

is research not a thing anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Go read up on actual history.

People moving around.. a lot was not uncommon. Mainly due to war and the habit of enslaving people. Being that slavery was fundamentally different in the past, said slaves would often be freed at some point, and their children would continue to live in that society.. which is why they were ethnically and racially just as diverse rather than being one race dominant.
    It also depends on the time period and region. Fewer serfs moved in the Central and Northern European countries in such a way that there was abundant exposure to people of other ethnicities, nobles had more interaction and travel. However, in Mediterranean regions there was quite a lot of mingling of ethnicities, so really it depends on the time frames and localities.

Most "medieval" titles are based in Central European/Anglo-Saxon styles and there were fewer instances of individuals from other ethnicities. The most common were Romani and Jewish with a few Northern Africans. Side-note: this is why the Ashkenazi Jews developed as a distinct group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    I thought it was about a person that wrote a paper on the subject and tried to come to the conclusion as to why that is?
    Since the conclusion is wrong, I see it as nothing more than whining.

Is this going to be a 'Yes it is', 'no its not' thing? Because if it is, we should just quit while we are ahead.
    Ethnicity was more important, but also irrelevant to the discussion, This about people whining about the large amount of white people in European medieval games.
    It could be, but my sources (and given that i'm anthropologically trained, and focus on the roman-british period, i've spent a fair amount of time on this) indicate you're very wrong.

http://medievalpoc.tumblr.com/post/5...-the-all-white

Yes, it's tumblr; it's a history tumblr for medieval art (which is what I mainly use it for - i avoid all the sexist crap as much as possible and follow history blogs).

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswit...n-medieval-art
    http://www.academia.edu/321674/The_I...he_Middle_Ages

http://afroeurope.blogspot.com/2010/...in-europe.html

A blog, but meh, a decent article.

urgh..i hate people like this, really hate them

Well it spossible to do something you're not culturally familiar with well. As I said, Bioware's Jade Empire.
    Honestly I don't think the SJW crowd would even care at this point if it was done well. They would still find something to nitpick on.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    You're speaking of western nations right?

If so it wasn't really until the mid to late 1800s that racial minorities experienced comparable birth rates and growth to the dominant racial identity of said nation, blacks in the u.k were a historical minority and often sidelined until the early 1900s when some change occurred.

The u.s is a completely different story of course, but the majority if fantasy focuses upon European history.

I think you're overestimating the diversity present in the past...

Many people back then never left their home county, village, hamlet etc let alone actually travel to a country where they'd experience seeing so many different ethnicities.
    It wasn't "travelling" so much as "being taken" But I've posted some sources, never fear!

Deleted
    Wow there were some black people on pictures hence they were not 0.01% black at best.

Don't let get reality in the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    It is, but it should not be expected.

is research not a thing anymore?
    And that matters? how?
    Any culture if free to make games about their culture, not pressure other cultures to do it for them.

Deleted
    Since the conclusion is wrong, I see it as nothing more than whining.
    Man there is a lot of whiny scientists out there then, especially those physicist, bunch of babies!

10+ Year Old Account
    It could be, but my sources (and given that i'm anthropologically trained, and focus on the roman-british period, i've spent a fair amount of time on this) indicate you're very wrong.
    Ohh... that tumblr, i've seen it being proven wrong plenty of times. Like I said, I know what this is going to turn into, its obvious this will lead to nothing,

not demanding it but it would be refreshing.
    Like in a "woah so thats what non-white people look like in video games" kind of way or "woah this non-white culture is so incredibly designed" kind of way? What does refreshing even mean here? Its not like diversity can only come through having counterparts to real-life races.

Honestly curious, because "it would be refreshing" seems to me like the #1 go to response whenever this topic comes up.

I bet ppl would cry racism if a white guy creates a medieval game that focuses on black people.. you basically can't kill any black npcs without getting fked by "omgggggg disis razzzizm" guys.

When I play medieval games I want the basic stereotype game with european castles. I don't think that Camelot/Arthus would work as black guys (I would be pissed if they were in a game). If they add 1 or 2 slaves or unrelevant characters people would bitch about that, you can't do it right..
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2015-07-22 at 11:04 PM.

Not that I agree with the premise, but it IS super dumb that all medieval games have white-only casts 99% of the time. Countries were a lot more racially and ethnically diverse than they're presented.
    You are joking right?
    Non-whites were literally slaves in most countries in Medieval times.
    Countries went to war over religion and slaughtered non-Catholics by the dozen daily.

Is that what you'd prefer to have used?
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Ohh... that tumblr, i've seen it being proven wrong plenty of times. Like I said, I know what this is going to turn into, its obvious this will lead to nothing,
    Click the sources rather than whining about tumblr.

Or actually post why it's wrong rather than "i've seen it be proven wrong, so it's wrong".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Man there is a lot of whiny scientists out there then, especially those physicist, bunch of babies!

Scientists worked on that article? for what possible goal/reason?
    Physicist... on a article about medieval Europa? what?

Deleted
    Click the sources rather than whining about tumblr.

Or actually post why it's wrong rather than "i've seen it be proven wrong, so it's wrong".
    So one black person every 200 years is ok.