Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gaotienter View Post
    She lived in a nice place and lived there for a few years before moving back home.
    Uhhh... what?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    At this point, I have enough information to say there should be no trip, and if she doesnt like it she can save her own money and go.
    Thing is, she is gonna sell her car and use that money to go.

But I think she should save that money for moving there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanadei View Post
    Uhhh... what?

- - - Updated - - -

Thing is, she is gonna sell her car and use that money to go.

But I think she should save that money for moving there.
    If she wants to sell her car (assuming she bought it), she should. I am very for separate accounts. If she moves she carries herself. If she fails she buys her own car again

I'm pretty sure it's a little harder to do than just go OMG I LOVE JAPAN. I'LL GO GET A JOB TEACHING ENGLISH OUT OF THE NEWSPAPER!!!!!

My ex boyfriend went and did exactly what you guys are thinking of doing. In order to qualify he had to write some kind of gigantic essay to say why he wanted to be an English teacher and jump through all kinds of hoops (I don't know exact details as we weren't together at that point) He didn't apply for a job out of the newspaper and rock up for an interview like you can do here (I'm Australian too)

I personally think you need to tell your GF to settle down and take some time to do proper research before you go ahead. The place is amazing on holiday i'm sure but once you've moved over there I guarantee it'd lose the glitz and glamor and it'd just be every day like here in Australia.

If she wants to sell her car (assuming she bought it), she should. I am very for separate accounts. If she moves she carries herself. If she fails she buys her own car again
    Well it was a gift from her dad who gave her permission to sell it.

It just seems foolish to waste what little capital you have access to on some quasi fact finding mission when you already know you want to move there, when you could instead put said capital towards the actual move you are planning.

But you are right in that I can't exactly stop her going.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nasriel View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a little harder to do than just go OMG I LOVE JAPAN. I'LL GO GET A JOB TEACHING ENGLISH OUT OF THE NEWSPAPER!!!!!

My ex boyfriend went and did exactly what you guys are thinking of doing. In order to qualify he had to write some kind of gigantic essay to say why he wanted to be an English teacher and jump through all kinds of hoops (I don't know exact details as we weren't together at that point) He didn't apply for a job out of the newspaper and rock up for an interview like you can do here (I'm Australian too)
    Who gets a job out of a newspaper? Like honest question.

We both have degrees in literature. Like english literature degrees. Writing "some kind of gigantic essay" does not intimidate me. We are speaking with two friends both teaching there currently (one of which did the same degree as us) so yeah, don't worry I know it's not incredibly simple but neither is it hugely complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasriel View Post
    I personally think you need to tell your GF to settle down and take some time to do proper research before you go ahead. The place is amazing on holiday i'm sure but once you've moved over there I guarantee it'd lose the glitz and glamor and it'd just be every day like here in Australia.
    Japan is very different to Australia. I mean, I have an EU passport and I wouldn't say that moving to EU would "just be like every day here in Australia", have you lived overseas before? Also we have been planning to move overseas for some time so this isn't out of the blue, its just the geographic specifics that we need to work out.

But thanks for your advice, interesting to hear what your boyfriend went through.

Dude, when you love someone, you try not to pull this shit okay.

OP, just slap some sense into your goddamn lady. Tell her you are down to go, and are fine going, but only with full research, and you will consider going for a month only if the research done at home proves to be non-substantial. She will also have to aid in that research, most likely will not do it in order to coax you into a one month trip. Stop fucking about, this is the real world, not some adventurer's fantasy land. She jus wants to go have a good time, and to be honest fuck that. It's extremely selfish of her to even request that at your mental expense.

Waiting just a small amount of time in order to properly plan something is a normal state of affairs, tell her to get her damn shit together. Also, you seem like a smart guy, so don't overthink this too much either. Just look up what needs to be done and go, this isn't something that's rocket science. I think you're annoyed at the pace she's trying to move at more than the actual move itself and are turned off from this whole experience because you feel like you're doing everything. I don't believe that's a good approach and you should work more with her, and the first step is to bring her speed and crazy ambitions into line aka more at your pace, which is slower.

If you're not fluent in Japanese, you're definitely not going to get a job teaching English, and in turn you're not going to be granted a work visa without both of you having jobs lined up.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    If you're not fluent in Japanese, you're definitely not going to get a job teaching English, and in turn you're not going to be granted a work visa without both of you having jobs lined up.
    It's clear from this statement that you have literally no idea what you are talking about.

In Japan english teachers are native english speakers who don't need to speak Japanese as the home room teacher handles the class and you just provide the lessons. Indeed, Japanese students aren't allowed to speak Japanese during english class.

Seriously, do a google search before making shit up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post
    OP, just slap some sense into your goddamn lady. Tell her you are down to go, and are fine going, but only with full research, and you will consider going for a month only if the research done at home proves to be non-substantial. She will also have to aid in that research, most likely will not do it in order to coax you into a one month trip. Stop fucking about, this is the real world, not some adventurer's fantasy land. She jus wants to go have a good time, and to be honest fuck that. It's extremely selfish of her to even request that at your mental expense.

Waiting just a small amount of time in order to properly plan something is a normal state of affairs, tell her to get her damn shit together. Also, you seem like a smart guy, so don't overthink this too much either. Just look up what needs to be done and go, this isn't something that's rocket science. I think you're annoyed at the pace she's trying to move at more than the actual move itself and are turned off from this whole experience because you feel like you're doing everything. I don't believe that's a good approach and you should work more with her, and the first step is to bring her speed and crazy ambitions into line aka more at your pace, which is slower.
    You literally sound like you are quoting me from when we argued together.

But yeah you are definitely correct that I should be more patient with her, she just accuses me of not taking any risks and not being passionate about anything when I say that I want to do research etc before we go and not just head over there and try to make things work.

Which hurts my feelings because I'm very passionate. About propane and propane accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post
    Dude, when you love someone, you try not to pull this shit okay.
    Pull what shit? Demanding my partner pay for something they want on a time table they want? Yeah, thats how debt happens and marriages collapse. Its fine to go in on things like cars, or tangible goods when its the right time, but this sounds absolutely absurd timing. If my boyfriend has it his way Id be buying him a new gaming computer when I take out a student loan and buy a new car. Some people just need help to deal with their money, and for that reason unless I pull in 100k a year, I wont ever share an account with my boyfriend, because that money will be gone faster than I can make it.

It's clear from this statement that you have literally no idea what you are talking about.

In Japan english teachers are native english speakers who don't need to speak Japanese as the home room teacher handles the class and you just provide the lessons. Indeed, Japanese students aren't allowed to speak Japanese during english class.

Seriously, do a google search before making shit up.
    You can quote google results all you want, recruiters aren't going to be interested in people without a teaching degree or the ability to communicate in the native language combined. Just because it isn't required, doesn't mean it's going to magically happen. You don't need a high school diploma to be a Wall Street exec, but it's sure as hell unlikely.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

You can quote google results all you want, recruiters aren't going to be interested in people without a teaching degree or the ability to communicate in the native language combined. Just because it isn't required, doesn't mean it's going to magically happen. You don't need a high school diploma to be a Wall Street exec, but it's sure as hell unlikely.
    I don't know about Japan but in China you just need to be a native English speaker and get that TEFL diploma which is apparently 2 weeks of study. Starting pay, roughly $2000 and free housing (which is pretty crap even but hey, unemployed adventure seekers....)

You literally have no idea what you are talking about.

This is what I've been told by people who taught English in Japan, the foreign English teachers in Japan are mostly there to familiarize Japanese kids with foreigners, not so much teaching English. So yes, you don't need to know Japanese, just have a positive attitude and be a fun person.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

My cousin lived in Korea and taught English there. She lived in a nice place and lived there for a few years before moving back home. The people she taught were already pretty fluent in english. She'd meet with them in restaurants and bars and have a chat with them, perhaps you can do that? I've heard that while Japan don't really like foreigners when they arent tourists. Also I hope you don't have tattoos.

I think November is doable, but sounds like she's dreaming far too much and has a romanticized view of living there.

edit: Wait 9 weeks? November? What?
    tattoos are fine on foreigners.. its the older People cuz Yakuza and shit. but yeah Japan doesnt realy like Foreigners, you could be born and raised there you will never be a Japanese

I don't understand the point of this thread. Anyone that says anything you don't like, or subsequently comments about the topic that they have no idea about (as you seem to do, even though you have no experience with it either, besides google from what I can tell?), just seems to provoke your ire. Are you looking for something to quell the relationship problems(?) that seem to be coming out of a decision like this, or are you looking for actual advice regarding living in japan as a foreign teacher, or something completely different?

I don't think many people here will have experience with something like that, as I would say your circumstances are pretty unique, where you seem to be going there in a matter of weeks with no real proper planning.

Either way, it sounds like this is something that you and your GF are going to do regardless, so I don't think anything anyone says will change your mind. As for "tips", well, I think that's a wash too since my advice would also be to plan this out properly, but I don't think it's a bad idea to drop it all and move to a completely new environment. At the very least there would be some valuable experiences from that.
    Last edited by Dawnrage; 2015-07-23 at 09:19 AM.

I have a friend who is doing the Jet course/program. He has been there a couple of years now I think. He did not know much Japanese but had the qualifications to teach English. So far he's having a blast.

I would speak to your partner lay out what you know so far. The average wages, rentals, average utility prices. Also factor in average price for food/drink over there (which ATM seems pretty reasonable). Would be worth advising on average time to get all the forms done so you can move over there (along with what area you plan on going to and what schools/openings are available to work for).

Would also be worth letting her know what the average house/flat living space is really like. They would be a lot smaller than you are used to. Really it is more of a here is what we know so far. Then once you've decided on where you would like to go start putting some applications in. You have the funds so once you've got all your information its best to put it to use

It's been a while since ive been to Japan having been there over a month last time, going there again in august with the GF her first time there so should be fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    What ever you do, do not, I repeat, do fucking not let your gf there alone. Especially if she is "adventurous". She'll be fucking someone else before you can finish your research.
    If she is off banging other people and cannot be trusted moving with her to a new country is the least of his problems.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about.
    * Needs help on a particular topic
    * Claims people have no idea on that topic

If you know what you are talking about, why seek help in the first place?

I'm an American professor who teaches in Tokyo. Living in Japan can be a lot of fun depending on where you live. A lot of teachers come here thinking they can go out partying every weekend and get to experience a very weird and amazing culture.

The reality is that most teachers end up living very far out of the interesting urban centers and tend to live regular, uneventful suburban lives. Yes you can explore the country when you aren't working but there are many downsides to living here as well. As you said, you don't speak Japanese so expect to have a much less vibrant social life.

You also need to take into account that costs of living are outrageous in Japan and unless the school you are working for gives you heavy subsidies you are not going to have a lot of money to take trips and go out a lot (which can also be very expensive). You are also most likely going to be paid a salary based on the Yen which is incredibly weak to the Dollar and the Euro right now.

That's just my two cents. Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnrage View Post
    I don't understand the point of this thread. Anyone that says anything you don't like, or subsequently comments about the topic that they have no idea about (as you seem to do, even though you have no experience with it either, besides google from what I can tell?), just seems to provoke your ire. Are you looking for something to quell the relationship problems(?) that seem to be coming out of a decision like this, or are you looking for actual advice regarding living in japan as a foreign teacher, or something completely different?

I don't think many people here will have experience with something like that, as I would say your circumstances are pretty unique, where you seem to be going there in a matter of weeks with no real proper planning.

Either way, it sounds like this is something that you and your GF are going to do regardless, so I don't think anything anyone says will change your mind. As for "tips", well, I think that's a wash too since my advice would also be to plan this out properly, but I don't think it's a bad idea to drop it all and move to a completely new environment. At the very least there would be some valuable experiences from that.
    I agree.

In this case, OP, I am exactly what you are looking for since I've been teaching and studying in Japan for most of my life while being a complete foreigner.

I live here because it is what I know, I grew up in a Foreign Service family so I actually have a reason to live here. You need to understand something though OP, although I have lived here upwards of twenty years and am fluent in Japanese, I will never be considered one of them. It is not just because I'm white. Japanese stick to their own and you're unlikely to meet many Japanese people who want to mingle and become long term friends with Gaijin.

- - - Updated - - -

One last thing, Aussies can have a tough time getting a job to teach English because frankly, you speak it pretty poorly. They want Americans first and some schools will take well spoken Brits.

Deleted
    You seem to be going over the getting a job thing really quickly. Apparently based on some google searches and maybe an anecdote? You say you need more time to prepare but finding a job would be #1 concern by FAR, so you clearly got that settled so I wouldn't be too worried and just go along with your partner. As my 2 cents, if it is really THAT easy to find a job, you don't think competition for those jobs is high? What makes you think they will choose you over someone who can speak japanese on top? Or someone who also has a teaching degree? Or as Knadra said, an american or brit?

Deleted
    I read somewhere that Japanese people generally hate outsiders that live/work there.

Did you have anything useful to add or did you come here just to argue semantics?

My plan is to teach english over there, as I have a degree in english literature, a modest understanding of the Japanese language and enough money to support myself. Is that good enough for you to step down from your high horse and give me some actual advice?

Honestly.
    Wow you ask for advice and when you get some you're just straight up rude.

What he said is useful in some areas English teachers (especially foreign ones) aren't highly regarded, very marginalized and often underpaid.