Assassination execute phase with high energy

Hi all,

I know that dispatch is superior sub 35% vs Mut, but sometimes when I have high regen, I can't spam dispatch enough to avoid capping (or extremely close to capping), and feels slow gaining 5cps compared to Mutilate since I have enough energy to be able to use back-back Mutilates.

Granted, it doesn't happen often though so it's purely situational.

I guess my question boils down to: Does the higher damage from dispatch outweigh faster finishers using Mutilate under high energy regen conditions?

I should note that I am 696 ilvl with NO 2pc and NO class trinket.

Thanks for any assistance.

Deleted
    Im gonna tag along and listen, i find the assassin finisher akward at times as well..

From memory, the maths with no t18 tier (i.e. increase to dispatch) and no trinket means that dispatch is mostly similar to mutilate in dps, especially since the buffs to mutilate which may make dispatch equal at best. I find that without 4p or trinket (running 2+2), the envenom uptime isn't guaranteed in execute anyway without slipping in a few mutilates (t17 4p was a lot more forgiving) so you might find that if you have trouble with envenom uptime, its a dps loss to use dispatch.

Deleted
    If you don't have 2pc, dispatch is about 1.5% better than mutilate.
    after 2pc ~~ 11% better
    after 4pc ~~ 25% better

Quote Originally Posted by RiverT View Post
    From memory, the maths with no t18 tier (i.e. increase to dispatch) and no trinket means that dispatch is mostly similar to mutilate in dps, especially since the buffs to mutilate which may make dispatch equal at best. I find that without 4p or trinket (running 2+2), the envenom uptime isn't guaranteed in execute anyway without slipping in a few mutilates (t17 4p was a lot more forgiving) so you might find that if you have trouble with envenom uptime, its a dps loss to use dispatch.
    Some napkin math:
    Dispatch -> 330%/30 Energy = 11% Damage per Energy, 1 CP/30 Energy = 0.0333 Combo Points Per Energy
    Mutilate -> 273%*2/55 Energy = 9.93% Damage per Energy 2 CP/55 Energy = 0.0367 Combo Points Per Energy

The above (assuming Daggers of equal ilvl in both hands) shows that Dispatch is slightly better budgeted for damage, where Mutilate is slightly better budgeted for CPs. However, Mutilate can also give Blindside Procs which is free damage and CPs. If we normalize that value and bake it into the base benefit of mutilate:

(0.3*330+273*2)/55 Energy = 11.73% Damage per Energy and (1*0.3+2)/55 Energy = 0.418 Combo Points per Energy

This means that using Mutilate during Execute is still better than using Dispatch with no set bonuses, ESPECIALLY if you have low Crit because it's unlikely that you will be able to get 5 CPs before Envenom drops. This issue is exacerbated if you're like me and enchant for Multistrike because it's the best cross-spec enchant if you use Combat frequently.

Use dispatch unless you 1) are energy capping or 2) have vanish
    H Tichondrius - V I S C E R A L

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Djoron View Post
    Doesn't Mutilate also have twice the chance to trigger poisons, because...it's 2 hits?
    So that would increase it's damage slightly more.
    On the other hand, crit probably pushes it more towards Dispatch again, as you'll get one cp more from either ability, so the gain is higher / at lower cost for Dispatch. Hm.

How weird, so tier boni and such aside, as just a "basic rogue" you should only use Dispatch when it's free?
    Even when factoring in poisons it's still just under 1% stronger than Mutilate (math:https://goo.gl/EGmNk4)

http://puu.sh/je4Sz/3d25907d1e.png That's also sims with using Dispatch whenever possible vs only when it's free.

So even as a "basic rogue" it's never worth giving it up

So the Google doc suggests that using mut and including the value of blindside procs puts it at a 1% discrepancy in effectiveness, vs that sim that shows a difference of 15K DPS? I'm calling BS on that one. The Google doc may be right, but that sim is fucked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuitous1 View Post
    So the Google doc suggests that using mut and including the value of blindside procs puts it at a 1% discrepancy in effectiveness, vs that sim that shows a difference of 15K DPS? I'm calling BS on that one. The Google doc may be right, but that sim is fucked.
    Looks like it's simmed with t18 4p.

My question would be how much of a dps loss it will be to be capping energy with the t18 4p. ie. not using mutilate when about to cap energy and instead just keeping spamming dispatch even when energy just goes to full everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuitous1 View Post
    You're right, I didn't realize the default APL has a condition that allows mutilate casting only when above 35%. http://puu.sh/jgDOY/00f833416c.png Looks like I was wrong, do whichever you please
    Quote Originally Posted by Kompa View Post
    Looks like it's simmed with t18 4p.

My question would be how much of a dps loss it will be to be capping energy with the t18 4p. ie. not using mutilate when about to cap energy and instead just keeping spamming dispatch even when energy just goes to full everytime.
    I disabled the set bonuses manually, I just used t17M profile because I already had it open.

As for your question there's nothing in the default APL regarding energy as far as builder use goes. So to answer your question I'd have to put that into the APL so I might do it later.