Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    As soon as people stop talking about how "women in the military are a liability" and shouldn't be allowed because they're "weaker than men"
    This is about being cannon fodder. Women can be cannon fodder perfectly fine - no skill of any description required.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    about the same time jobs like roofing and garbage collection become 50/50 men/women
    After a gender specific murder virus pandemic?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    As soon as people stop talking about how "women in the military are a liability" and shouldn't be allowed because they're "weaker than men"
    Yeah funny how that works. I'm sure there are a number of women who'd like to serve, but aren't given the time of day while some men who aren't mentally capable of serving are dragged in kicking and screaming.

Funny old world.

That said selective service IS bullshit and don't wish it on anyone, but I'd still rather have the gals who wish to serve their country in this capacity able to freely and without trouble from crusty old men with warped senses of threatened masculinity.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

I'd prefer getting rid of the selective service entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    This is about being cannon fodder. Women can be cannon fodder perfectly fine - no skill of any description required.
    Actually, it takes quite a bit of endurance and upper body strength to be "cannon fodder." You have to get to where the cannons are, after all, and there isn't always a road.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Actually, it takes quite a bit of endurance and upper body strength to be "cannon fodder." You have to get to where the cannons are, after all, and there isn't always a road.
    IS has already shown that women can do this perfectly fine, even with a burka. You also don't waste full combat gear on cannon fodder.

i have no problem with women on the front line though they need to earn it, No lower standards bullshit should be allowed at all. Everyone proves themselves the same as everyone else.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...ments-end.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    "the woman".

Yes. All women are created from a single prototype. All women are exactly the same.

You serious with this, because I can go on mocking this crap forever. Drafting, if it is to stay, should be all or none, and standards should be based on individuals and not sexes. A man can't do it? He's out. A woman can't do it? She's out. And the reverse as well.
    I think you're missing the point entirely. The point was that men tend to be physically stronger and more durable than women in general - which is something that also holds true in professional sports and competitions. This would mean that men would also likely fair better as a soldier, where they're required to carry around 90 - 140 pounds of gear for long periods of time.
    And speaking of currently military bars for entry, there's also already been issues with the lowering of physical fitness standards for women in the U.S. military. The issue being that female soldiers that have met the bar to entry for women, but not the minimum standard that men are held to, are performing poorly due to not being fit enough to undertake the tasks and carry the weight required of them.

That said, I don't disagree with the premise that you're putting forward, that men and women should both be held to the same standard and dismissed if they don't meet said standard. However, that's not how the military's of countries like the U.S. operate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I have no idea what this is or if it is even a thing in the US.
    It is a thing in the U.S., though I don't think it's actually been used for half a century or more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Selective service is still a thing though in the US, I had to fill out the form when I hit 18, which was 5 years ago.
    I can do math, and now know you're 23.
    Just keep narrowing my search down, Jester.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    It is a thing in the U.S., though I don't think it's actually been used for half a century or more.
    Almost exactly half a century. The Vietnam War was the last one we conscripted for, though we have the mechanisms in place to do so again if it becomes "necessary."

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    I think you're missing the point entirely. The point was that men tend to be physically stronger and more durable than women in general - which is something that also holds true in professional sports and competitions. This would mean that men would also likely fair better as a soldier, where they're required to carry around 90 - 140 pounds of gear for long periods of time.
    And speaking of currently military bars for entry, there's also already been issues with the lowering of physical fitness standards for women in the U.S. military. The issue being that female soldiers that have met the bar to entry for women, but not the minimum standard that men are held to, are performing poorly due to not being fit enough to undertake the tasks and carry the weight required of them.
    In which case clearly the standards for men are too high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.