Poll: Is racial profiling based on satistical evidence still wrong?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Yeah, he won't become president. He will most likely not even make it to the nomination and if he doesn't, he is going to run as independent and will guarantee a landslide victory for ANY Dem that runs against Trump and whatever Republican nominee. If he does win the nomination he polls the WORST against Hillary. So again biggest landslide victory for the Dems.

- - - Updated - - -

So if you were Muslim/Arab, you would WILLINGLY allow your rights to be trampled on? Good to know you like having your rights taken away. I am sure that if you were actually Arab, you would be singing a different tune after the first time it happened.
    Well I am fine with the NSA having access to any information they illegally obtain about me, phone calls, texts, etc.. Which is a huge violation of my rights. So, no my opinion would not change.

I say yes, it is still wrong to racially profile, mostly because it doesn't work, the guys on 9/11 I believe if we were looking for people that fit a description would have gone right through all the same.

Can I go out on a limb and guess that OP is white?

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Racial profiling sucks. It sucks for pretty much everyone who's not obviously white.

We just need a 2 day detention center for everyone who intends to travel by air. Spend 2 days in airport accommodations, wearing paper gowns and slippers, vacuum seal everyone's bags (except medications). If it's for national safety, really, who would object?

...I really wish I knew why I was pulled aside multiple times in my mid-teens to get checked over as I was leaving the airport. I don't even look slightly Mexican, never mind black or middle eastern.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

It's not fun when you are a christian or atheist arab, or someone from the middle east or mediterranean who isn't remotely muslim. Let's crack down on white kids at school because they might be shooters while we're at it. Ugh. It's unproductive.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    We just need a 2 day detention center for everyone who intends to travel by air. Spend 2 days in airport accommodations, wearing paper gowns and slippers, vacuum seal everyone's bags (except medications). If it's for national safety, really, who would object?
    I would. Mainly because I realize that this "security" fails to actually secure anything and actually just erodes personal freedoms. The real world isn't one inhabited by a significant amount of terrorist boggymen, just superstitious townsfolk and lecherous governments. More people die each and every day to really anything imaginable than Osama Bin Laden and ilk, the money spent on "securing" these places are far better spent combating poverty and disease than the new "red menace".

I misread and voted no. But, racial profiling is AT BEST a self fulfilling prophecy, if you're targeting a certain amount of people disproportionately they're going to show up more in your imagined misgivings. Impoverished people commit crimes, the mentally ill shoot up events and the disillusioned blow up buildings, fighting these things with more guns is like trying to stop a leak in a ship by the bucketful.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    But you provided no statistics. You pulled them out of your ass. There are far more deaths by Right Wing terrorists in this nation than there are killings by Muslims in this country.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/us...reat.html?_r=0
    http://www.npr.org/2015/06/24/417192...rorists-in-u-s
    http://time.com/3934980/right-wing-e...adi-dangerous/

Does that mean we should start profiling EVERYONE? No. It just means you want to feel good by portraying ALL Muslims as bad guys because of the color of their skin. That is the epitome of stupidity.
    Sorry if I was a TSA worker and you look middle eastern, I'm checking your shit. We might have a few loonies here and there, but their are many more active terrorist groups who are of middle eastern decent. I have no problem with stepping on your toes for a few minutes if it means the safety of hundreds are kept in check. These are the times we live in.

Deleted
    Airports are one of those places that racial profiling actually serves a legitimate purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianmage View Post
    National Securiry takes presidency over your constitutional rights in my mind. For example, I'm 100% okay with the NSA listening in on everyone's phone calls, etc.
    And this children is what is wrong with America. Nothing should ever trump your Constitutional Rights.

I profile all day long and it has nothing to do with race but how you "look". You know a threat when you see one unless you have your nose stuck in your smart phone.

- - - Updated - - -

But you provided no statistics. You pulled them out of your ass. There are far more deaths by Right Wing terrorists in this nation than there are killings by Muslims in this country.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/us...reat.html?_r=0
    http://www.npr.org/2015/06/24/417192...rorists-in-u-s
    http://time.com/3934980/right-wing-e...adi-dangerous/

Does that mean we should start profiling EVERYONE? No. It just means you want to feel good by portraying ALL Muslims as bad guys because of the color of their skin. That is the epitome of stupidity.
    I thought it was the left wing baby killers for profits?
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    This bullshit gets repeated way too often. Race isn't limited to skin color, it can just as well refer to a shared religion, culture, ethnicity etc.
    (ex: the Jewish race)
    The bullshit you just exposed is what is paraded way too often.
    Race, as a social construct, is a group of people who share similar and distinct physical characteristics. Ethnicity is the one that includes cultural mores.
    The Jewish People are an ethnoreligious group.

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    Read your own sources, before you pretend to know what is in them. I can tell you that in almost every modern field of social studies, race is used on a much wider basis. Even your wikipedia article explains that in the later half of the 20th century the word is also being used to denote shared ideologies, culture, religion, etc.
    Because race alone is a useless assessment. But, by all means, find a single usage of religion in that article as a defining trait of race.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Stereotypes generally have a basis in reality.
    We're not in danger of muslims doing anything really....