Subscription XP and Free to Play

Hello

I've played a few hours of F2P SWTOR solo and with a friend of mine (separate characters), and I'm loving the story focus of this game. I'm quite keen to subscribe for a month or two, however I still want to level a character with that friend without out-levelling him. If I subscribe, am I able to use the increased XP gain on my other characters but still have XP gain matched to my F2P friend?

Thanks

i don't think you can. you can get a thing to turn off the x12 story xp bonus, but even without that you'll still gain more xp than your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruen View Post
    Hello

I've played a few hours of F2P SWTOR solo and with a friend of mine (separate characters), and I'm loving the story focus of this game. I'm quite keen to subscribe for a month or two, however I still want to level a character with that friend without out-levelling him. If I subscribe, am I able to use the increased XP gain on my other characters but still have XP gain matched to my F2P friend?

Thanks
    I think there's a way to disable the 12x experience bonus from class quests. But in terms of the subscriber experience boost in general, you can't get rid of that. You'll be progressing faster than your friend if you two play together. The only way to counter it is for him to do some additional side quests/dungeons/PvP/Galactic Starfighter to make up for the experience difference.

Hey, thanks for the quick responses!

That's a shame though. I think I'll just subscribe and pay for my friend's first month if he doesn't want to pay for it.

The 12x class quest XP gain seems arbitrary. Is the idea that a character can be fully and comfortably levelled just off class quests?

Thanks

you get quite a bit of experience, but leveling just off class quests alone doesn't seem like a good idea to me. you'd probably be under geared and under level eventually, depending how over leveled you can get in the 1 - 30 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruen View Post
    Hey, thanks for the quick responses!

That's a shame though. I think I'll just subscribe and pay for my friend's first month if he doesn't want to pay for it.

The 12x class quest XP gain seems arbitrary. Is the idea that a character can be fully and comfortably levelled just off class quests?

Thanks
    Yup. They bumped up the payout for fleet tokens (forget the exact name) and reduced the cost of items for them at your factions space station. You can pretty much keep yourself more or less fully geared (and I think your companion too) between class quests and a few flashpoints every here and there. No need to really bother with side quests or planetary storylines if you don't want to.

That does sound fun, especially since I only plan to play for the class quests and maybe one or two flashpoints.

Unfortunately every time I go to subscribe, I end up this this error:
    "An error has occurred while trying to process your request. Please, try again later. {0}"

I've removed and re-added credit card details, and gone through the process on incognito mode and on another PC. I think I'll just do as it says and try again later.

Thanks greatly for the info you two

Yeah, I know they have issues with their billing every once in a while. Make sure that the card you're using is accepted by them and give it another go tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yup. They bumped up the payout for fleet tokens (forget the exact name) and reduced the cost of items for them at your factions space station. You can pretty much keep yourself more or less fully geared (and I think your companion too) between class quests and a few flashpoints every here and there. No need to really bother with side quests or planetary storylines if you don't want to.
    where do you find these lower cost vendors? the vendors on each leveling planet has the same prices i remember back before i quit.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    where do you find these lower cost vendors? the vendors on each leveling planet has the same prices i remember back before i quit.
    http://www.swtor-spy.com/guides/comm...ion-guide/725/

Location of the basic commendation vendors. The prices should be way cheaper than before, but I honestly haven't checked recently. I should hop on my jug and see, actually.

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Gearing through with just class missions right now is quite easy actually. Most class missions give 12 Basic Comms now and they lowered the cost of mods to 2 comms a piece. Every 10 levels or so you can fully gear yourself and a companion in gear quite easily. It's pretty awesome to be honest. They've also made it so you have access to all flight paths as soon as you land on a planet, and quick travel with no legacy perks is only 6 minutes now.

http://www.swtor-spy.com/guides/comm...ion-guide/725/

Location of the basic commendation vendors. The prices should be way cheaper than before, but I honestly haven't checked recently. I should hop on my jug and see, actually.
    good grief... welp. i've wasted all my comms on three of my characters.... wonderful.

10+ Year Old Account
    good grief... welp. i've wasted all my comms on three of my characters.... wonderful.
    From what I have seen, for the most part the vendors on each planet have the same prices, but not always. At least once I almost bought a couple pieces of armoring before noticing they were priced at 8 coms each and not 2 like on the fleet. It's really odd. Also, the pictures in that link are old. The vendors are still in the same place, but are now just named by level range and not by planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    From what I have seen, for the most part the vendors on each planet have the same prices, but not always. At least once I almost bought a couple pieces of armoring before noticing they were priced at 8 coms each and not 2 like on the fleet. It's really odd. Also, the pictures in that link are old. The vendors are still in the same place, but are now just named by level range and not by planet.
    eh, i bought level 55 epics on oricon for like 40 and 60 comms a piece, was a total waste lol, i could outfit my whole team and my character for everything i spent there.

eh, i bought level 55 epics on oricon for like 40 and 60 comms a piece, was a total waste lol, i could outfit my whole team and my character for everything i spent there.
    Yeah, I didn't bother with adaptive gear on my juggernaut at all and I'm regretting it. Playing my new sage and damn, just went and filled out full sets for her and Qyzen (minus his weapons, I'll grab those eventually when I can find them for cheap) and if it's going to be this easy on each planet then it's going to be a lot faster to level since I won't need to dick around with as many side quests/will have better quality gear the whole time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, heh yeah that was a waste.
    Yeah, I didn't bother with adaptive gear on my juggernaut at all and I'm regretting it. Playing my new sage and damn, just went and filled out full sets for her and Qyzen (minus his weapons, I'll grab those eventually when I can find them for cheap) and if it's going to be this easy on each planet then it's going to be a lot faster to level since I won't need to dick around with as many side quests/will have better quality gear the whole time.
    Yeah I leveled a character up to 55 when I jumped in on this 12x thing about a month ago doing nothing but class quests, not even flashpoints or anything, and had no issues with gear. It was a character I had leveled part way from before though. I just started a new Jugg partly to see if I could go from 1-55 completely with just class quests and so far it looks like it should be no issue. Since you get 12 coms per mission (not quite every mission though) and that is enough to completely upgrade 2 pieces of armor or weapons. May have to spend a little bit more early on to get a full set of adaptive gear but once you get that, it smooth sailing. Having those sets of adaptive gear that you get in the mail from the galactic starfighter thing helps a ton especially with companions. They may not be the best looking armor, but they get the job done. I don't even remember why I have those, but they are in the mailbox of every new character I make.

Some vendors have the updated comm prices and some don't, so just watch out before you start spending your comms.

I use credits to buy cheapish gear off the GTN for my current companion (usually Treek) so I can really go all out on my characters comm gear so my damage output goes up and things die faster. I broke down and bought a few of the adaptive armor sets, weapons, and off hand items on the GTN and used cartel coins to unlock the option for every character on my account to use them for free. It really helps early on because you have gear in slots you're not even supposed to have yet so your combat effectiveness is super high... breathing on weak enemies kills them. And you get plenty of comms to fully outfit yourself in gear every planet, just maybe not right at the start of the planet (don't go spending all your comms on the current best thing when the next tier of upgrades opens up in 1 level... nothing in the story missions is hard enough/ tuned to require you to have the most current highest tier gear available), so it's OK to be a little behind. There were several times throughout leveling that I skipped upgrading while on a planet and just geared up at the start of the next one because I wasn't feeling at all gimped.
    Last edited by Katchii; 2015-07-28 at 03:57 PM.