Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    £12.50 a month, including line rental. £5.00 not including rental. No caps, fibre, all that jazz.

Only downside is that England doesn't hold a candle to the net speed of some of our European cousins. That said, what I've got is perfectly suitable for me.
    Last edited by Twinkelle; 2015-08-01 at 02:55 PM.
    We're a band of vicious pirates,
    we depend on RNG.
    If I only get one buff,
    then bury me at sea

Quote Originally Posted by Helgrimm View Post
    So, my family pays about $90 a month just for internet, which includes:

Wifi, 4 ethernet ports on router, ~200kb/s torrent download speeds, and can run netflix + wow easily on one computer. (thats all i know)

Does this sound like too much to be paying a month? We have service in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA through CenturyLink.

What do you pay for yours and what does it include?
    200 kb/s is incredibly slow for typical internet connections, at least in my area. To give you a point of comparison, I pay about $130 per month for internet + cable + HBO and I get download speeds about 20x faster than yours (4-4.5 MB/s).
    Last edited by Varabently; 2015-08-01 at 03:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

€ 59,95 per month, including a phoneline and HDTV (~90 channels).

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    15 down, 10 up (In practice it's more like 12/7). 160gb/month. $80 per month. I can add unlimited usage for an extra $30 a month. Lawl.

God I love how expensive Toronto is getting.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    If you truly have such a connection in Romania, it is amazing. I just have never seen anything like it anywhere, except for Google Internet which is available only in a few large cities in the US AFAIK. I guess the technology travels faster than I thought.

I don't think data throttling from AT&T and Comcast has been a secret, so I totally support the company here, even though, let's be honest, AT&T Internet is terrible.

When it comes to internet infrastructure and internet speeds we (USA) lag way behind the rest of the world. In this case we are the third world country.

Gigabit has been a thing in many places outside the US long before google or other services started offering it here.

When comcast and friends agree to not compete they have no incentive to dump millions into upgrading their networks.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TaintedOne View Post
    When it comes to internet infrastructure and internet speeds we (USA) lag way behind the rest of the world. In this case we are the third world country.

Gigabit has been a thing in many places outside the US long before google or other services started offering it here.

When comcast and friends agree to not compete they have no incentive to dump millions into upgrading their networks.
    Well, I knew that we lagged far behind countries like France, Finland, Norway, let alone Japan or South Korea. But if even Romania or Latvia are already better in this...
    Monopolies/oligopolies really should be purged with fire.

I don't think Google will change it though. As much as AT&T is a monopolist in DSL and Comcast is a monopolist in cable, Google will probably be a monopolist in fiber, so again we will have to pay outrageous sums for the service.

EDIT: I just read that in upload speeds the US lags behind Lesotho and Belarus. Holy cow...
    Last edited by May90; 2015-08-02 at 01:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think Google will change it though. As much as AT&T is a monopolist in DSL and Comcast is a monopolist in cable, Google will probably be a monopolist in fiber, so again we will have to pay outrageous sums for the service.
    Google doesn't want to make enemies with ISPs. They rely on them so their customers can use their services. But Google is hoping that they can prove Fiber is feasible and to show ISPs it can be done cheaply. So Google is between rolling out their own service or waiting for ISPs to accept their duty and roll it out themselves. But if Google does roll out Fiber they may find their services are suddenly slow for a lot of their customers. ISPs aren't going to obey Net Neutrality as AT&T has shown.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Google doesn't want to make enemies with ISPs. They rely on them so their customers can use their services. But Google is hoping that they can prove Fiber is feasible and to show ISPs it can be done cheaply. So Google is between rolling out their own service or waiting for ISPs to accept their duty and roll it out themselves. But if Google does roll out Fiber they may find their services are suddenly slow for a lot of their customers. ISPs aren't going to obey Net Neutrality as AT&T has shown.
    Which is illegal and sue-able XD
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Quote Originally Posted by mackeral View Post
    Yup, have checked it all out, where I live (valleys) cant get anything faster than sky who ofc use BT cables. And that price is cheaper than BT. Tv is included but phone calls are extra so my monthly bill is somewhere along 110gbp.
    70 just for internet really. and that is a mega 4.5mb top speed (can go down to 2mb)

No other options out there - tried talktalk-bt and another which escapes my mind. This is best deal available which is pretty much worse than most of the world
    how much of that cost is your actual satalite tv bill and if you wouldnt mind can you give us a gist of where you live on this map?
    http://puu.sh/jmsHw/b393e6ab87.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    Which is illegal and sue-able XD
    Meanwhile Bing has taken away a lot of Google customers, thus permanently damaging Google.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I knew that we lagged far behind countries like France, Finland, Norway, let alone Japan or South Korea. But if even Romania or Latvia are already better in this...
    Monopolies/oligopolies really should be purged with fire.

EDIT: I just read that in upload speeds the US lags behind Lesotho and Belarus. Holy cow...
    Competition breeds consumer friendly behavior from companies, the fact that American ISP's operate a lot like oligarchies are a large part of the reason for why its lagging behind.
    Last edited by zealo; 2015-08-02 at 02:58 PM.