Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    $80/mo for 50Mbps (usually throttled down to 25Mbps) with Time Warner (I have my own modem, so it's not even including that fee). It's the only provider where I am and it sucks and it's expensive and I hate hate HATE it.

$50 a month. Yeah. I'm getting screwed (even by US standards), but I don't have a lot of options. For what I do, the download speed is enough to get me by, at least. I can do online gaming and such without any major problems. But when I need to download some 20GB game off Steam, it's gonna take a while. I usually buy the game and don't plan on playing it until tomorrow night.

There's another ISP in my area that's slowly working its way up and would be able to get me 50Mb/s (up and down) for that same cost, but I live just a bit too far out of their service area. I've been trying to convince my neighbors to call this ISP up and nag them, but my neighbors are all old people who don't care much about Internet service. This ISP is not going to expand for just me unless I'm willing to pay a massive one-time fee for it.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-07-25 at 03:42 PM.

About $75 for 85 down 12 up. I've been trying to downgrade the internet, but the next lowest speed is 25mb down and its costs around $60. Comcast at its finest...

$35 per month for a 12Mbps Downstream with a 1.5Mbps Upstream. I live in an apartment complex where the owners have a deal with Hotwire Communications. So you can't pick whatever internet provider you want as a result it's a tiny monopoly here. For $35 at Comcast in this area, I can get double the speeds this company offers, but then again my apartment complex is still using satellite for it's TV and internet, and I'm in the city too...I've complained to them once and they said they were in the process of upgrading their hardware here to provide faster speeds come the end of the summer.

I'll believe them, as the FCC did raise the standard as to what classifies as Broadband connection. From 4Mbps/1Mbps minimum, to 25Mbps/3Mbps minimum. This happened just this winter.

So know that currently (by FCC standards) if you aren't seeing 25 DL/ 3 UL then you don't have high speed internet.
    "Do fish have dreams?" - Nick Cage
    The Cage!! In his most primal form!!

15mb/1mb 30$

10+ Year Old Account
    Think we pay 40-50 pounds for internet and phone. That's for unlimited usage and an 80/20 speed, we also get free sport channels on the tv with it.

40 bucks for 15 down 3 up

america internet is terrible.

Deleted
    36euro 5 down 0.5 up Cyprus sucks.

With Rogers, $80 a month gets me the 100mb down and 10mb up package, though speeds are often a lot higher. Also includes a subscription to NHL game center and shomi.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    $10/month for 50mbit. No other limits. Can have 100mbit for $20/month but I don't need it. Russia, west Ural.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helgrimm View Post
    So, my family pays about $90 a month just for internet, which includes:

Wifi, 4 ethernet ports on router, ~200kb/s torrent download speeds, and can run netflix + wow easily on one computer. (thats all i know)

Does this sound like too much to be paying a month? We have service in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA through CenturyLink.

What do you pay for yours and what does it include?
    Mother of god... 200Mb/5Mb - $30 in Israel... They cap upload badly - only 5Mbps, but download through the roof. WiFi capable cable Router is free, if they would demand payment for it - they'd have no customers. No limits on downloads too.

And that is like a most premium package for home.

You can get 15Mb/1Mb for like $5 with free router too, which is the lowest of low here, can't find slower speed anymore here.

We're also getting fiber next year and another infrastructure company chiming in, so I guess it will be even cheaper. Currently we have like 3-4 infrastructure providers and god knows how many ISPs, so they are fighting to death for every person here.

----

Same story with cellular, country-wide LTE 20GB monthly limit for as low as $25. 5GB limit - $10. We had some absolutely kickass communications minister who was very popular, he enacted a lot of reforms which allowed just about any company become MVNO fast and this plummeted the prices - you have like no less than 8 country-wide cellular providers now chocking each other.

I think I even seen some ridiculous stuff like unlimited calls, free international calls to 21 countries with some limit and 3GB of data allowance for like $4, which made me lol. I have no idea how they even make money.

----

Unfortunately for US, however, it seems all your lawmakers are bought by bigshot companies. So nobody gives a damn that Comcast, AT&T or others literally rob the citizens blind. They could easily charge 20% of what they charge now and still rake in profit.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2015-07-25 at 05:55 PM.

€8, 100/10, Finland.

10/1 is free. Gotta love Finland.

Deleted
    20mbps unlimited for 10 Euro in Bulgaria

10+ Year Old Account
    100/100 mbit is to be included in the monthly apartment fee, but since I upgraded to 1000/1000 I'm supposed to get an invoice to pay about 15EUR every month. Haven't gotten them since the installation about half a year ago and by this point I'm too afraid to ask :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    $90 for 150MB up and 25MB down

Cannot wait until Google Fiber goes nationwide and ass rams Comcast.
    Here in the greater part of Jersey, Cablevision is at war with FIOS. The result is that I get 50 Mbps down 25 Mbps up for $100 and that includes basic cable and telephone. Will Google really roll out Fiber across USA? It would be huge if they did but I don't think they will. Government needs to give them huge incentive to do this cause it would create an unbelievable amount of jobs.

Competition is the key to faster internet.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2015-07-25 at 06:36 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Here in the greater part of Jersey Cablevision is at war with FIOS. The result is that I get 50 Mbps down 25 Mbps up for $100 and that includes basic cable and telephone. Will Google really roll out Fiber across USA? It would be huge if they did but I don't think they will. Government needs to give them huge incentive to do this cause it would create an unbelievable amount of jobs.

Competition is the key to faster internet.
    That's the part where other big companies will start calling foul (Oh the irony!) because Google will basicly steam roll away the competition

10+ Year Old Account
    $60/m for 70 Mbps down, something like 30 Mbps up, and Wi-Fi modem lease. Not very cheap, but I live in the middle of nowhere in Indiana; I'm pretty sure in large cities pricing is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Thermor View Post
    €8, 100/10, Finland.

10/1 is free. Gotta love Finland.
    Holy crap. I wanna live in Finland!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Form3r View Post
    That's the part where other big companies will start calling foul (Oh the irony!) because Google will basicly steam roll away the competition
    Without competition to take consumers away, the cable companies turn their attention to existing customers to extract money. For example TWC's High-Speed Internet service has a 97 percent profit margin. Here in NJ we had a rule about having competition against Cable, but Verizon lobbied to remove this and Cable companies were spewing propaganda on TV to prevent this. Probably the only time I approve of lobbying.

FIOS ran their fiber in the tri-state area and cable lost customers. I've been with cable and Fios back and forth just switching to whoever had the better price. When I went with FIOS, cable would send a person with a deal I couldn't refuse. When that deal ran out, I switched back to FIOS. It took a while for Cablevision to fix their performance so now I stick with them.

But I'm more worried about internet for those who live in less popular areas. We need a better solution for those people other than crappy 1990's DSL. Even overpriced slow cable seems like a better deal. I have no idea what Google is doing with their Fiber service and I just don't see them rolling it out all over USA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    But I'm more worried about internet for those who live in less popular areas. We need a better solution for those people other than crappy 1990's DSL. Even overpriced slow cable seems like a better deal. I have no idea what Google is doing with their Fiber service and I just don't see them rolling it out all over USA.
    I think it depends more on the territorial placement than on the population of the area. Even in low populated areas on the east, there is usually, at least, Comcast which offers very fast cable Internet, if a bit expensive. Now, on the middle-west, far from the coastline, it's another story... Looks pretty grim in South Dakota, where no major ISPs offer any services.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit, it is times like this where I'm reminded how fucking awful our internet is compared to Europeans (both in terms of speed and price).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.