Deleted

How would you organize your guild on these points ?

Hi, i'm actually managing a social guild with two friends since 2012. We are casual players in majority and only do NM / HM raids. I'm asking for your help because i'm wondering if we are well organized on many points :

- For recruitment i use addons, and whisper those who have no guild with a "RP" message, nothing to say there, it works good for the kind of players we want to recruit.

- Me and my friends apply a quota and have only 3 players in test phase which lasts 2 weeks (i want your opinion on this one)

- The application is made on our forum and we ask questions about the player (and not about the skill or ilvl, that's not the kind of guild we want to show) to make sure he is nice and funny. A minimum of availability is required of course

- At the end of a test phase we pm our active members to know what they think of the new players, if they want to promote them to "real members", if they want to wait a week more, if they want to kick him, or if they don't know him (it means that the new player is not very active).

I really want advices from you because it's very hard to come back to a 10+ active players after our guild has been in stand by some months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedfax View Post
    We are casual players in majority and only do NM / HM raids. I'm asking for your help because i'm wondering if we are well organized on many points :

- For recruitment i use addons, and whisper those who have no guild with a "RP" message, nothing to say there, it works good for the kind of players we want to recruit.
    Does not compute.

Mass pulling people = low quality across the board.

Think of how and why the Ivy league colleges have their reputations for academic excellence -- they screen well.

Same applies for good guilds wanting to do anything higher than LFR.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    In our guild (we usually clear about 70% of the raid in mythic) we just recruit people what we need from trade channel.
    I think the application thing is more for the hardcore guilds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zkk View Post
    In our guild (we usually clear about 70% of the raid in mythic) we just recruit people what we need from trade channel.
    I think the application thing is more for the hardcore guilds.
    It's more for guilds that last longer than 6 months (the average life of a trade chat guild).
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Does not compute.

Think of how and why the Ivy league colleges have their reputations for academic excellence -- they screen well.

No, no that's not how it works. I always salute the player with a RP way. And then i send a polite message which clearly show our vision of the game. I'm not flooding at all, i discuss with my target

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Does not compute.

This is the kind of thinking that causes no mark world top 2000 guilds to make 10 page application forms.

Organized to what end? Your question doesn't make much sense without context.

On your trial period in particular, this depends on the size of your guild. 3 trials at most is, I would say, healthy for a 15-20man raid group. It implies high churn, but that's a different problem.

On people leaving your guild while it's inactive: of course they'll leave your guild. It's inactive and they're active. Why would active players remain in an inactive guild?

Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    This is the kind of thinking that causes no mark world top 2000 guilds to make 10 page application forms.
    Except that means they're screening poorly.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Deleted
    They are not leaving it, they became inactive. And i'm not surprised at all because i was too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    Because you're asking to join their community, and they have to screen the rift raft out or it won't be a community anymore.

6 month guilds don't care, they're done when the raid tier is done.

If I'm on a new alt / on a new server, I pretty much ignore (sometimes literally) anyone who uses an addon to send me a message.

Even though it's a message it's even more impersonal than a recruitment macro in /trade.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    In my experience, using applications for anything other than a hardcore PvE or PvP guild works against you more than for you, sometimes by a lot. Usually, even then, the most successful guilds seem to recruit from Trade Chat and Looking For Group... Also, I would avoid using an addon for invites... I know that there is no really effective way to advertise your guild, but trade or general chats seem to work the best, in my experience, at least until Blizzard actually does something about it.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Deleted
    The problem is not the recruitment, it's the evolution of the number of members. I could recruit 10 good guys per week if i want to, that's actually not possible because me and 2 co-GM put a limit of 3 players in test phase for 2 weeks. And i want your opinion on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedfax View Post
    Hi, i'm actually managing a social guild with two friends since 2012. We are casual players in majority and only do NM / HM raids. I'm asking for your help because i'm wondering if we are well organized on many points :

- Me and my friends apply a quota and have only 3 players in test phase which lasts 2 weeks (i want your opinion on this one)

- The application is made on our forum and we ask questions about the player (and not about the skill or ilvl, that's not the kind of guild we want to show) to make sure he is nice and funny. A minimum of availability is required of course

- At the end of a test phase we pm our active members to know what they think of the new players, if they want to promote them to "real members", if they want to wait a week more, if they want to kick him, or if they don't know him (it means that the new player is not very active).

I really want advices from you because it's very hard to come back to a 10+ active players after our guild has been in stand by some months.
    Most people who will respond to your thread will be progression types and min/maxers who will criticize your role-playing guild because it won't be trying to set world firsts or something. I'm not sure how to fish out the active role players from the rest of the community. Maybe transfer to Moonguard-US (and avoid Goldshire). Should be lots of role players there.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    I'm not really a role playing player, it's just to seem nicer than brutal recruitment announce.