Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Problem solving.

I was discussing with a Uni professor various stuff and I was impressed by some advice he gave me.

He told me it's not your knowledge that matters, but your ability to solve problems fast, responsible and efficient.

This is what you get payed for in the industry. Not your knowledge. Your knowledge is just a tool to solve problems.

Any thoughts regarding his advice/quote?

He is correct, specially in the engineering areas. Your university is not there to teach you the tools, but instead, how to learn the tools yourself, how to think, how to approach problems, and how to find how to do the previous actions if you don't know yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Einstein said something similar when he was asked what was the speed of sound (or light?). He responded by saying he didn't know and didn't bother memorizing such things that are readily available in books and that universities are for learning how to think and not for learning facts.

"I do not carry such information in my mind since it is readily available in books. ...The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think." seems to be the exact quote.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    He's correct. Knowledge is relatively simple thing. Solving problems when you don't know answers is hard.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    The amount of knowledge related to more or less any educated job is more than a human can remember. If you give me enough time i can find out more or less any information or fact through the internet, the library or by contacting knowledgable people. And im sure most agree that doesnt make me one of the smartest people on earth. If you can remember that 2+2=4 and 2+3=5, but dont have the insight and understanding of math, than you mightve forgotten that 2+4=6. Instead of knowing all the answers, you should learn and understand the system, so that you can efficiently come to the right solution. And a smart person doesnt flawlessly remember what 34x15,82-27,1 is, they are smart enough to grab a calculator/phone.

The problem with the education system below college is that it relies on memorization only and problem solving is not valued, so people get the impresison that this is what is important.

Problem solving is a talent. There's probably some Indonesian peasant following a buffalo pulled plow across a rice paddy right now who's the best problem solver in the world.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Problem solving is a talent.
    you don't think it can be learned, then, only improved?

Quote Originally Posted by HomeHoney View Post
    you don't think it can be learned, then, only improved?
    That's my hunch. If you're good at problem solving, you could very well be drawn to something like engineering though.

Some day some scientist will discover if people are born problem solvers or it's a learned skill.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I think Einstein said something similar when he was asked what was the speed of sound (or light?). He responded by saying he didn't know and didn't bother memorizing such things that are readily available in books and that universities are for learning how to think and not for learning facts.

"I do not carry such information in my mind since it is readily available in books. ...The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think." seems to be the exact quote.
    I agree.

However, it helps to remember some facts so you don't have to waste time looking them up. Of course, you need to remember that there's even a fact to look up...

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Sounds like some generic motivational facebook quote tripe to me.

"The love in your heart is just a tool to help you do good onto others."

"The spark plug socket in your socket set is just a tool to help you replace spark plugs."

"You have to use your brain to use it."

"Derp"

Sounds about right - we needed knowledge buffs before computers and libraries and so on were around. Now that you can have any information you need instantly, it's a matter of how to search for the right information and how to properly use that to solve a problem or project you're working on.

There are things that you need to know, things that you can refer to a book and there isn't a thin line between these two types of "knowledge". Sure, problem solving skill, aka analytical skill is very important. Perhaps the most important. However, just like your professor said, knowledge is the tool and without the tool, you can't solve the problem. Sometimes, novelty comes from knowing a lot and incorporating ideas out of your field.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2015-07-26 at 03:51 PM.

Deleted
    Well usually knowledge helps to solve problems fast, responsible and efficient. And without the knowledge, you wouldn't be able to either explain it or pass it on to others, which would make your ability limited.

The two are intertwined, not separate that is a more reasonable viewing of it, if I was to say so.

The advantage of knowledge is being able to react to time sensitive problems faster, so it's not something that should be completely shunned.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    The advantage of knowledge is being able to react to time sensitive problems faster, so it's not something that should be completely shunned.
    The actual advantage of knowledge is it opens the possibilities of better solutions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Problem solving is a talent. There's probably some Indonesian peasant following a buffalo pulled plow across a rice paddy right now who's the best problem solver in the world.
    Like many things are, you can't want or try a lot of things or even give your life trying to get better at it...but theres only so much one can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I'll agree with this too. However, the ability to apply your knowledge is required to react to time sensitive problems.

If you can't act and make a decision then how many things you know or what you know doesn't matter.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    The actual advantage of knowledge is it opens the possibilities of better solutions.
    Then we circle back to problem solving. Just, for example, in my profession. "Shit, the grill is down and the repair guy is an hour out. What other ways can we do the burgers and steak, and among those options, which is best?"

Ok ok, Burgers, flat top, go. Steaks, broiler, go. I'll tell expo we might be off on timing, go. Wait, did I just tell myself to go? Fuck it, go.