Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zia View Post
    Vanilla 10/10
    TBC 9/10
    WOTLK 8/10
    Cata 3/10
    MOP 1/10
    WOD7/10
    Yeah, clearly the best WoW music was the almost completely ambient stuff of Vanilla and early TBC.....

and I can tell you hate anything that sounds even remotely Asian.

If you like fantasy based look-around-and-feel-it then Warcraft music is up your alley. They pretty much nail every zone and area in that regard.

On the other hand, if you like pumped up and/or experimental techno/"weird"-instrument mixes (as in unusual), FF14 is probally more to your liking.

As a musician I love both approaches, but the Warcraft team has a much higher production value (better flow overall).

10+ Year Old Account
    Grizzly Hills music Kreygasm...

7+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla for me is just pure nostalgia, it just brings me back to time when I was getting into the game. Yeah it is also just great music.
    My favorite music for a zone would have to be Grizzly Hills though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmkyungri View Post
    Even fanboys of Blizzard like Towelliee can say FF series music is soooooooooooooooooo much better than any WoW music

https://youtu.be/shMaev-dSFI?t=86 that video is good enough proof and thats just Bismarck not even The last primal or any of the 2.0 primals like Garuda or Shiva
    It's personal taste when it comes to music but the music in that link you provided does nothing for me at all.... Not even sure what sort of emotion it's meant to stimulate. Doesn't fit in with the game action on screen in any way.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, WoW's music has always only been second to the Etrian series in terms of quality. Every expansion has had tracks that have blown me away (and some questionable, of course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATiuXOIqf8I
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fIVmFJkfaA
    watch

all of the mixes of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n6WP9qHyRM

And of course, WoW's GOAT
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nbowe32Ofo

I've never been too huge on final fantasy, but if the tracks you guys are linking are the good ones I can't really give SE any credit for good music. The Bismark tune is pretty good but unless you had specifically told me it was from the game itself I would've thought it was just an electronic track added over the kill video.

Quote Originally Posted by Jensxo View Post
    Just a random thread to post about how amazing the music was in older expansions

Not saying the WOD music we have now is fine - It's a bit too "battle" oriented for me but stuff like Howling Fjord...Storm peaks...Pretty much every zone in WOTLK had the most soothing/epic unbelievable feel to it that when you hear it again after so many years....You INSTANTLY recognize all the memories.

If there is a music panel at Blizzon - I'd very much like to meet these guys.

Not many people truly notice anymore how amazing great soothing music adds to a zone.

And people might call be a Sap for liking stuff like this but idc. The WoW music is better than any music i've ever heard in any game ever and to that i applaud the Music team or whoever the people are that make this stuff.

Been going on a nostalgia trip back in time on youtube just remembering the days of WOTLK. I truly thank you Blizzard for making such an amazing game. I know you guys can make it amazing again - Anything is possible. I'm optimistic that next expansion will blow people off their seats.

This isn't a quitting thread - Just a thread to talk about the memories of what people did back in those truly truly epic zones.

The best thing i loved about wrath zones were it genuinely felt you were going up a "hill" in a sense. You start from howling fjord then the landscape just makes you feel as if each new zone - your getting higher and higher. Honestly - Log on right now and stand on your ground mount just outside the entrance to storm peaks from crystalsong and just look up at the gigantic zone that is storm peaks.
    WoD has the best music of any expansion.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    Really? I played a bit of FF 14 and the music sounded just like every other FF game. WoW's music changes with each expansion.
    Yeah, I've always thought Uematsu was a bit overrated. He has made good music before, but it's always spotty for me. The tracks are never consistently 'interesting' over the whole of a game. Normally it's "I liked this boss fight music, this one, and this zone, then the rest are generic or recycled/reduxes of old music". It's gotten worse with time IMO.

I have to disagree with the OP about WoD though. Though there is more 'battle oriented' music than ever before, there's still tons of great zone music, particularly Magnificent Desolation(frostfire music) and the Shadowmoon music....but yeah, I still go back to TBC/WotLK/Cata soundtracks and listen to them on a regular basis

Hell, I have a 'bedtime ambience' track playlist of Azuremyst Isle/Nagrand zone music that I've been listening to nightly for the last few weeks. It's this strange mix of sounds that almost feels like it's 'reaching' into me(probably the low bass) and yet soothing at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mulgure, Grizzly Hills and Howling Fjord, those are on my top favorite music list.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Each expansion soundtracks has been nice, from Vanilla till WoD, all been 10/10
    No game comes near that epic level. None.
    How many other mmos have you actually played to make such a bold statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Jensxo View Post
    Just a random thread to post about how amazing the music was in older expansions

Not saying the WOD music we have now is fine - It's a bit too "battle" oriented for me but stuff like Howling Fjord...Storm peaks...Pretty much every zone in WOTLK had the most soothing/epic unbelievable feel to it that when you hear it again after so many years....You INSTANTLY recognize all the memories.

If there is a music panel at Blizzon - I'd very much like to meet these guys.

Not many people truly notice anymore how amazing great soothing music adds to a zone.

And people might call be a Sap for liking stuff like this but idc. The WoW music is better than any music i've ever heard in any game ever and to that i applaud the Music team or whoever the people are that make this stuff.

Been going on a nostalgia trip back in time on youtube just remembering the days of WOTLK. I truly thank you Blizzard for making such an amazing game. I know you guys can make it amazing again - Anything is possible. I'm optimistic that next expansion will blow people off their seats.

This isn't a quitting thread - Just a thread to talk about the memories of what people did back in those truly truly epic zones.

The best thing i loved about wrath zones were it genuinely felt you were going up a "hill" in a sense. You start from howling fjord then the landscape just makes you feel as if each new zone - your getting higher and higher. Honestly - Log on right now and stand on your ground mount just outside the entrance to storm peaks from crystalsong and just look up at the gigantic zone that is storm peaks.
    First time hearing it, it is awesome, but it gets old and boring real fast. I turned off the music by the time i made a 2nd lvl 100. Especially the Horde Garrison OST, by the gods I listened to it so many times, I am so sick of it, started to hate it too. But the music in the game is pretty far from perfect imo. Listen to it once, never again. FFXIV music is better (IMO), even the mount u ride have its own theme (not for every mount). Like Terra's theme for ur chicken walker mount etc.

Agreed. Except with Mop. That OST was shit. That asian theme didn't sound good at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Each expansion soundtracks has been nice, from Vanilla till WoD, all been 10/10
    No game comes near that epic level. None.
    You clearly have not played any games beside WoW then.

WoW's music is 5/10, 6/10 at best. Great for hearing it the first time, gets old and boring the second time you listen to them. Especially Horde Garrison's music. ugh disgusting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseDay View Post
    Agreed. Except with Mop. That OST was shit. That asian theme didn't sound good at all.
    It did not fit for WoW's theme. Beside I consider MoP a filler expansion.

WoW music is excellent!

I was leveling a belf the other day and I was loving the music in Silvermoon. I actually stopped for a couple minutes and just listened