10+ Year Old Account

novice bodybuilder

im 22 and started hitting the gym since the very beginning of june. for the first month ive been doing all-development training. that means 1 excercise for each muscle part every training to get into it.

now ive entered normal training plan, got 4 days planned: chest/biceps, legs, back, and shoulders/triceps
    i always do 4 sets of 14-8 reps depending on an excercise.

so far, so good. but heres the deal. i seem to make only slight, slow progress. for example i bench press 45kg only and my muscles get really exhausted, i just cant do any more BUT i dont feel my chest, i dont feel its pumped. even after 4 excercises for it.
    i hope its because its still beginning for me, my muscles havent developed yet and thats why.

back, biceps and legs seem ok (because they are used the most on daily basis) but triceps, shoulders and chest are the weakest parts. again, my muscles get tired after excercises but i dont feel these parts pumped.

any advice on this ?

Deleted
    Start out with a program with much lower rep range to build some strength/mobility/core stability. Maybe switch to something like 5x5 stronglifts for a while.

You have barely been training 2 months and you want 4 day splits with high reps, not a good idea. Get something like push/pull 2 day split with lots of compounds (squat, deadlift, barbell rows, SOHP etc) if you don´t choose 5x5 for a while.

Hard to give better advice without more info on program, size/weight, age, nutrition etc.

Forget the "pump" or high reps. Frequency is the most important thing as a beginner. Bench 2x a week and squat 2x a week, deadlift 1x a week and aim to improve a bit in those lifts each week (progressive overload). That's how you get bigger as a natural. You can add additional exercises afterwards for "bodybuilding" like side laterals and so on.. but they shouldn't be your main focus. As a beginner try something like stronglifts 5x5 as mentioned above.

Avoid bro splits!!
    Last edited by aisatsana; 2015-07-28 at 04:31 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    If you aren't getting that "pump" you aren't working the muscle properly. Try different grips, spacing, or form. If you want to know how your chest should feel after a good pec workout just take dumbbells in your hand and bring them to the front of your body and flex your pec muscles together for a few seconds. That should emulate how your chest should feel somewhat. Fatigue is very common for the first few weeks even months if you are constantly workout out. Also check your diet, you should add more complex carbs into your diet for energy.

10+ Year Old Account
    theres something that isnt entirely clear to me. the weights i should pick for 5x5

quoting here: The program's loading begins with 50 percent of your 5-rep max for each lift, which means that you have to know (or discover) what weight you can do for 5 and only 5 reps, then use half of that. That might seem awfully light early in the program, but you're going to add weight each week.

so, if im supposed to do 5 reps instead of 10 which i have been doing earlier i must obviously lift heavier, but then again it says i should half that. so again back to lighter weights. how does that make sense ?

Deleted
    It means that you should guess/find the max weight you can do only 5 reps with, then use half of that for the 5x5 program.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah and my point it that then its gonna be pretty much the same weight i would do 10x4 with, so whats the difference ?

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    yeah and my point it that then its gonna be pretty much the same weight i would do 10x4 with, so whats the difference ?
    You're not supposed to start with a challenging weight on these kinds of programs.
    Start light and focus on form. You've only been going to the gym since June, so it's likely that you form on the compound movements can use quite a bit of work. Do research, and use the sets with light weight as an opportunity to perfect your form. This will save you from injury and let you become more powerful once the weights get heavy.
    Starting light also means that you won't plateau as quickly. Starting a new program and plateauing quickly can be extremely frustrating and demotivating, and is usually a result of picking too heavy a starting weight. Programs like SL 5x5 have a fast progression rate, so the weights will get heavy within a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    im 22 and started hitting the gym since the very beginning of june. for the first month ive been doing all-development training. that means 1 excercise for each muscle part every training to get into it.

now ive entered normal training plan, got 4 days planned: chest/biceps, legs, back, and shoulders/triceps
    i always do 4 sets of 14-8 reps depending on an excercise.

so far, so good. but heres the deal. i seem to make only slight, slow progress. for example i bench press 45kg only and my muscles get really exhausted, i just cant do any more BUT i dont feel my chest, i dont feel its pumped. even after 4 excercises for it.
    i hope its because its still beginning for me, my muscles havent developed yet and thats why.

back, biceps and legs seem ok (because they are used the most on daily basis) but triceps, shoulders and chest are the weakest parts. again, my muscles get tired after excercises but i dont feel these parts pumped.

any advice on this ?
    Great book for beginners.

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren...rting+strength

Deleted
    I honestly pity anyone prescribing a strength based program for a beginner with less than 6 months. This beginning stage should be set aside from strength completely and set towards getting your muscles used to the movements, form and loads of volume. Beginners need volume too guys!

As far as not feeling a pump in your chest, there could be several causes:
    1. Your muscles aren't big enough yet, so therefore there will be a small amount of blood flowing through them, therefore little to no pump.
    2. You're not doing the exercise correctly/don't have a proper mind-muscle connection set up yet.

Tips to help:
    1. Widen your grip on bench to take as much tricep out of the movement as possible.
    2. Do more decline pec flys making sure to keep your arms locked in a straight position. (decline will help take the front delt out of the movement as much as possible so you can concentrate more on the pec)
    3. Keep at it! You'll get it down soon enough as long as you keep your mind on what you're doing.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bantokar and Xariste are 100% correct in their statements. As a beginner weightlifter the most important things to remember are that
    1. You need to maintain a calorie surplus
    2. You Need to follow an established full body program - follow them 100%! Do not turn an established program to a bro lift by making your own substitutions.
    3. You need to lift with proper form(even if you have to sacrifice weight)

All pros, Fierce 5, Stronglifts, and ICF are all amazing programs that will ease you into progress. If these programs are followed you will see amazing results in a 6 month period.
    Last edited by timoteo; 2015-09-14 at 04:53 PM.

You're probably best of to pay for a session or 2 with a PT, you risc getting several injuries if you go down the "bro path" (fucking up your shoulder happens for alot of people), several have made good points, but proper form should be your first priority, a PT will help tremendously with that, and if you get a good one you'll be well on your way.