When to switch to UM

I have done lots of reading on these forums about talents and I have one question. I know for both arcane and frost in BIS, UM is the best talent to use. When can you make that switch? Do you have to wait until you obtain the class trinket or does it have to do with tier. I did some dummy testing yesterday with my 4p as arcane yesterday and was still getting better results with supernova. After watching the finalboss interview yesterday, kuni mentioned something about switching once you obtain the 4p for frost. Someone smarter than me please give me a helpful hint on when would be an ideal time to switch.

Also I lied I have more than one question. What are people doing about Glyphing Arcane Power? I know unglyphed it lines up with crystal every time but I have been glyphing it since Mists and just haven't changed. Please enlighten me mage community and correct me from my bad ways!

Deleted
    UM as arcane only with 4pc+tome trinket with full haste build. And even then there are some bosses (Kromok for example) where the burst from SN is better.
    There is no clear point. There is its slightly better with some statcombinations. A clear answer can only simcraft calculate for your own char.

Regarding AP: U glyph it most of the time because the initial burst is better. U have to unglyph it with the tometrinket because u will run oom with Glyph.

Thank you so much for the arcane help! Is there a difference between arcane and frost?

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people are unglyphing AP because they have the Tome trinket, since you will easily run OOM with a lot of time left on AP if you are glyphed with it. If you don’t have the trinket, then it gets a bit murkier. In prior tiers you generally wanted to keep it glyphed so you should continue to do that if you don’t have the legendary ring yet. If you do have the ring, then it may be best to unglyph in order to sync up PC/AP/Ring.

As for UM, there are multiple things that make it better: Tome trinket (due to wanting to cast more ABs with it during burn), Haste (more casts = more UM procs), and tier (you want haste with tier, and maybe UM not taking up a GCD so that also leads to more AB casts).

If you have 4T18, then you should be going haste as Arcane, and I would think that UM would come out ahead even though you don’t have the class trinket yet. You would need to sim yourself to know for sure. For Frost I’m not sure when UM takes over, though I’d imagine it has more to do with the class trinket because all the extra Frostbolts you want to cast with shatterlance is better for UM.

Deleted
    So when u glyph AP, do you still use Crystal on CD or do you delay it?

Quote Originally Posted by Uzume View Post
    So when u glyph AP, do you still use Crystal on CD or do you delay it?
    Crystal on CD still. All your CD's should lineup with unglyphed AP, but even with glyphed, it'll be up for every 2nd PC.

EDIT: I should clarify, you want to use PC as soon as possible, as long as your evo is coming off CD. You dont want to use your PC, if evo has say 30-40 sec remaining on its cooldown, as you'll end up too low on mana, and eventually oom.
    Last edited by Insomlol; 2015-07-31 at 04:38 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Literally the only reason to delay Evocation is if you get a PoF proc and you have missile charges ready. There's no reason your Evo would be substantially separated from your PC.

ESPECIALLY when you have class trinket, it's important to not dump a fuckton of AM charges with low mana just to delay evo.