Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Starting fresh - Any tips?

I picked up Heavensward and found I had lost all of my account info from my free month and I don’t remember what email it was tied to (it was two years ago and have lost my account-password paper - doh’t!) so I decided rather than fight with support just to start over since I wouldn’t be able to remember what to do with my monk after 2 years anyways.

I’m slowly remembering things as I start over (currently level 13 pugilist) but I am wondering since there is a new expansion if there is stuff I can flat out ignore doing in the original content because they just are not worth grinding through anymore?

Any tips for getting to where I need to be quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I picked up Heavensward and found I had lost all of my account info from my free month and I don’t remember what email it was tied to (it was two years ago and have lost my account-password paper - doh’t!) so I decided rather than fight with support just to start over since I wouldn’t be able to remember what to do with my monk after 2 years anyways.

I’m slowly remembering things as I start over (currently level 13 pugilist) but I am wondering since there is a new expansion if there is stuff I can flat out ignore doing in the original content because they just are not worth grinding through anymore?

Mostly, you'll want to focus on the MSQ. They increased the experience gain from it so you should be able to ignore most everything else to save it for leveling alts. They also made the later quests give you gear so you will have the iLvl to run the required dungeons with no additional work. There are still the unlocks you'll want to do like the side dungeons so that you'll have the Roulette's unlocked when you reach max level, useful for farming currency. Also the chocobo, materia and glamour side quests probably. There are likely other side quest unlocks I am forgetting, but for the most part you can ignore the side quests.

For the most part, do the main story and ignore just about all the side quests/events with a few exceptions. The exp from the main quest has been buffed enough that you should hit level 50 pretty quickly, not to mention the MSQs give gear now.

The few side quests/events worth doing are:

Retainer stuff - this unlocks your bank and access to the market board (AH). You can have 2 for free, and more by paying a little extra on your subscription. 2 should be enough.
    Dye quest - allows you to dye some pieces of gear (some dungeon/raid sets can't be dyed)
    Aesthetician - barbershop dude so you can change hair styles/face paints etc.
    Challenge Log - basically free exp/gil every week for doing stuff you'd probably be doing anyway
    Dungeons not unlocked by the MSQ:
    Halatali - level 20: Talk to Nedrick Ironheart in Vesper Bay
    The Sunken Temple of Qarn - level 35: Talk to Nedrick Ironheart in Vesper Bay
    Cutter's Cry - level 38: Talk to Silbold in Ul'dah Market Wards
    Dzemael Darkhold - Level 44: Obtain rank Sergeant First Class in your Grand Company, then speak to your Grand Company commander to start the quest Shadows Uncast.
    The Aurum Vale - Level 47: Talk to Nedrick Ironheart in Vesper Bay OR Promotion Quest for Grand Company rank 3

There's more I've missed I'm sure, but that's the highlights anyway.

Welcome back! I remember reading a lot of your posts and I'm glad you decided to give it a second try. Ironically enough I tried the beta, and couldn't STAND the game. I got my lancer to like level 11 or something and quit.

The other posters pretty much covered the things you need to know between mandatory (i.e. important) sidequests and the MSQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Welcome back! I remember reading a lot of your posts and I'm glad you decided to give it a second try. Ironically enough I tried the beta, and couldn't STAND the game. I got my lancer to like level 11 or something and quit.

The other posters pretty much covered the things you need to know between mandatory (i.e. important) sidequests and the MSQ.
    11 is not near enough of a shot for this game. The first 30 levels are basically a tutorial and the game goes really slow until that point. Even after that, things don't really ramp up until you are 50, but after 30 is when you will start seeing bosses in dungeons start having more unforgivable mechanics and most of the classes start getting enough abilities to not be a snooze fest. Some classes really don't even pick up steam until late 40s though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post

Yeah I really enjoyed FFXIV but with my play schedule I can either do one game to the hilt or I can spin my wheels in two. I chose to return to wow because I have rl friends who I play with in my raiding guild. I'm at the point where I can sense a wow burnout coming and I don't want to be yet another cumurdgeon who hasn't figured out the problem has more to do with me than the game so I need a nice long break. When you are at the point where you could slam out all the new raid bosses but don't care to because the questing greens next expansion will just nullify them its time to pull back and go do something fresh. Unfortunately my RL friends can't afford to pay subs for two games.

I appreaciate all the tips.

Grab a RAF code and get the +20% exp helmet (you'll also get 10 silver feathers).

There's a guide on Reddit for catching up to 3.0 it's also got the location of all the misc unlocks like the challenge log, your mount, and dyes.

Beyond that, kick back and enjoy the story.

I came back from vacation and my boss told me that due to lack of work we are cutting everyone back 1 day of work, so besides spending that day looking for a new job It looks like I will have a lot of time for FFXIV. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    11 is not near enough of a shot for this game. The first 30 levels are basically a tutorial and the game goes really slow until that point. Even after that, things don't really ramp up until you are 50, but after 30 is when you will start seeing bosses in dungeons start having more unforgivable mechanics and most of the classes start getting enough abilities to not be a snooze fest. Some classes really don't even pick up steam until late 40s though.
    Yeah I made that post when I was hungry so my brain wasn't all there. I play the game now. I've cleared A1 Savage, i186 DRG. I love the game. I quit raiding at a top level in WoW to come back to FF14.

That said, I really couldn't get into the ARR beta when I tried. Glad I gave it another shot.

As far as tips, the best i can give to an up n coming melee, Positionals. Know what to flank and what to rear. The image should help explain the target indicator.

http://i.imgur.com/HVP2IBW.jpg

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    As far as tips, the best i can give to an up n coming melee, Positionals. Know what to flank and what to rear. The image should help explain the target indicator.

http://i.imgur.com/HVP2IBW.jpg
    That's really helpful, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by snowfall View Post
    That's really helpful, thank you
    Should also be noted that melee positional attacks look at your position at the beginning of the animation... not the end.

Deleted
    The 'ignore side quests' is good advice if you intend to level even a second class. I did most of them on my WHM and am finding those levels a bit of a grind on alts, having to run lots of dungeons. Then when i do find a zone where i left some quests up it's like 'YESSS!'

Kinda a shame, because the quests are quite easy and some of them are fun, but your main character seems to get such a big xp boost from the story, that it's a waste to do them on her/him.

I'm level 44 now and downed Garuda last night, working my way to 50 this weekend. Is there anything I should do before moving into the new expansion?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm level 44 now and downed Garuda last night, working my way to 50 this weekend. Is there anything I should do before moving into the new expansion?
    Not really.

Everything I can think of like the super fun Hildi Questline, can also be done once you are 60.

10+ Year Old Account
    Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly
    Man, if you can finish 44 and get to Heavensward in that short a time, I commend you. I couldn't do it. Each patch took me at least a day, or felt like it.

Good luck though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enjoy the story. Seriously...it is the absolute best part of the game.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

The lvl 50 content should keep you busy for a few days at least unless you skip the CS... there is a lot of quests.

Quote Originally Posted by arisoh View Post
    Man, if you can finish 44 and get to Heavensward in that short a time, I commend you. I couldn't do it. Each patch took me at least a day, or felt like it.

Good luck though.
    It only took an hour to get from 44 to 46 last night, doing main quests while waiting for random duty finder to pop and if the main quest got stuck I would just pick up a few normal quests or levequests if there wasn't a cloud of players running from Fate to Fate. The biggest trick is that around 40 I kept getting Main Quest locked because the exp for just doing mainquest stopped being enough to keep me up with the main quest chain. The biggest slow down was waiting for a Garuda group to form, 44 minutes.

Wow.. Took me like 3 hours to get 2 levels or less... Then again I do the daily turn ins for my GC and such.

- - - Updated - - -

I just starte a month ago and have:
    42 monk
    30 Gald
    15 lance
    15 something

And then all professions/gather skills 15+