Power Infusion and Twisted Fate - Discipline - Xhul'horac

Normally I used Power Infusion (like most everyone else). I remember reading something about how Twisted Fate doesn't play well with shield but can't remember the details (doesn't proc from shielding someone who is low vs. not being applied as plus healing to shields is a big difference).

We are doing progression on H Xhul'horac. I was considering the sub 20% on the boss (estimated 40 seconds to kill or be killed time). Anyone consider the possibility of spamming PoH at that point with a "burn the mana now" mentality with twisted fate. I'd have heroism and the on use of the ring at that point. Or sticking with PI and using that there be best.

Anyone have a reference for how Twisted Fate doesn't work or advice on the sub 20% on Xhul'horac?
    Last edited by Nzete; 2015-07-28 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Failure to drink enough coffee before posting... see italics for changes

Twist of Fate* is a terrible choice for discipline because it doesn't work on absorbs. You should use Power Infusion, always.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Twist of Fate* is a terrible choice for discipline because it doesn't work on absorbs. You should use Power Infusion, always.
    That and spamming PoH with PI sounds a lot more efficient.

This. You'll get more benefit tossing out PW: S instead of spamming PoH. PW: S also heals for more with 5 PW: S which would take roughly 5 seconds as opposed to the 2 PoH's you would get out.

I was curious about the how of "doesn't work with absorbs". Absorbs don't proc? Absorbs don't benefit if you proc it with a level 90 talent? Both?

Both of those instances.

Quote Originally Posted by djriff View Post
    Both of those instances.
    Then that raises the question of "why on earth is that talent available to discipline?"

Deleted
    It depends how long you plan on spamming PoH. Assuming you are only using spells that actually heal and never press PWS then PI is still going to be better hps than ToF if you only plan on using PoH for ~25sec, plus you'll save some mana. Realistically I don't think you can or should afford PoH spamming for more than 30sec, if you have the mana to burn then you may consider dropping some spirit in favour of throughput stats and going back to pressing PWS.

And indeed ToF won't activate if you cast a shield on a low health target, nor will shields benefit from ToF once it is active.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, anyone been using ToF at all this tier?
    I actually swapped to it for gorefiend mythic just for healing the tortured essences, since feast healing didn't really seem to require PI, no doubt an overall hps loss but I was struggling to top the essences and keep my mana for the fight, going ToF allows me to drop some flash heals in favour of 'heal', which drastically changes my mana consumption in that phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzete View Post
    Then that raises the question of "why on earth is that talent available to discipline?"
    Not every talent has to be useful. We choose PI because the mana return is better than a debuff ignoring PW: S.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsparowe View Post
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, anyone been using ToF at all this tier?
    I actually swapped to it for gorefiend mythic just for healing the tortured essences, since feast healing didn't really seem to require PI, no doubt an overall hps loss but I was struggling to top the essences and keep my mana for the fight, going ToF allows me to drop some flash heals in favour of 'heal', which drastically changes my mana consumption in that phase.
    Why are you casting heal in the first place? If you're really struggling in there, try to get intuitions gift and pop PI the first time you go in, and gift the second time as a way of alternating CD's. That will give you more throughput and let you still benefit from the 20% less mana of PI.

Deleted
    Not every talent has to be useful. We choose PI because the mana return is better than a debuff ignoring PW: S.

Why are you casting heal in the first place? If you're really struggling in there, try to get intuitions gift and pop PI the first time you go in, and gift the second time as a way of alternating CD's. That will give you more throughput and let you still benefit from the 20% less mana of PI.
    I wasn't, I started casting 'heal' in the second place. Replacing flash heals to save mana. With ToF I'm still doing about 2m to them each time I go in.
    Also badly worded by me, I didn't mean I was struggling to top them, I was struggling to keep my mana up WHILST topping them. A way to save some mana would be to cast less flash heals (since it's very inefficient) but when I started using heal instead I began to fall behind, adding ToF made up that shortfall.
    I only tried ToF for a couple of tries, I may end up just going back to PI and using PI in there instead of during feast though.

Don't knock the gift idea either. While it won't help the healing in there, you could pop it with PI during feast and just chain PoH that way to proc some massive DA.

ToF is really good for atonement, but unfortunately this expac atonement has been terrible

Deleted
    Don't knock the gift idea either. While it won't help the healing in there, you could pop it with PI during feast and just chain PoH that way to proc some massive DA.
    it does involve getting gift though. I'm hoping Gorefiend will be dead before I get that trinket xD

Even the heroic one is worth looking at IMO. Hell I use it for shadow on some fights.

On use crit with AS? sounds hot.

Intuition's Gift doesn't actually do anything to help heal the adds.

Crit only increases the frequency of Divine Aegis applying.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit:
    Directly contradictory reply afterwards for some reason.

Anyway, if the disc priest is assigned to deal with add healing, there's no need to worry about feast healing.

Feast healing is extremely easy to deal with if you have decent throughput healers anyway combined with a proper cd rotation, and you really only need 2 good ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redsparowe View Post
    I wasn't, I started casting 'heal' in the second place. Replacing flash heals to save mana. With ToF I'm still doing about 2m to them each time I go in.
    Also badly worded by me, I didn't mean I was struggling to top them, I was struggling to keep my mana up WHILST topping them. A way to save some mana would be to cast less flash heals (since it's very inefficient) but when I started using heal instead I began to fall behind, adding ToF made up that shortfall.
    I only tried ToF for a couple of tries, I may end up just going back to PI and using PI in there instead of during feast though.
    Disc has mana issues if they do not conserve during the non-feast non-stomach components, which are more than easily handled by throughput healers. This is true even with Phylactery. So if you note most other disc parses that focus on add healing, you notice their overall hps is significantly lower than those who focus more on raid healing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snaxattax View Post
    ToF is really good for atonement, but unfortunately this expac atonement has been terrible
    It's the other way round, Atonement was really good for ToF. Keep Holy Fire up and it pretty much guaranteed 100% ToF uptime if there are targets below the proc threshold, since you always want to proc ToF before actually hitting Dstar/Spirit Shell.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Yeah i forgot that Disc crits = DA. Been playing holy to much recently.

We choose PI because the mana return is better than a debuff ignoring PW: S.
    That talent's Spirit Shell now D:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

That talent's Spirit Shell now D:
    Been playing holy to much recently.
    Is it so bad that I forgot SS was a talent?