Thread: Garden Camera

Garden Camera

Hello,
    This is probably quite a specific question, my dad is looking for a camera to put at the bottom of his garden, preferably wireless with some night vision and motion sensor.
    Basically he wants to be able to watch the wild life at the bottom of his garden, and be able to watch it back from the night before. It would be preferably to only have it record when movement is detected. I know nothing of this subject so was wondering where I should start? Should I be looking at a single CCTV set up or something different?

Thanks for your help

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, most CCTV systems will be useless for this.
    You want something more like a Go Pro Hero with Night Mode / Low Light Mode.

While the majority of CCTV systems will say they support 1920x1080 with pan tilt and zoom, actually for wildlife you need a better resolution and more control, especially if you want to record more than a single useful frame.

What he wants to do is have it static I think, so he can leave it at the bottom of his garden 24/7 and be able to watch the footage back during the day without moving the camera around. If that makes sense?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffygong View Post
    What he wants to do is have it static I think, so he can leave it at the bottom of his garden 24/7 and be able to watch the footage back during the day without moving the camera around. If that makes sense?
    If your wifi network reaches far enough there's no reason I can think of that you shouldn't be able to do that over the wifi.
    I can't say it's something I've personally ever done. But I do have a CCTV system looking from the house into the garden to watch our livestock and it's terrible for playback of any movement. It's great however for grabbing still images from but night quality is really bad when it comes to actually watching anything.

If you are looking for a quick solution, you could always use an old phone as a CCTV style camera... there's bound to be "an app for that"

The advantage of the Go Pro though is that its weatherproof and actually you'd be amazed how much CCTV systems aren't.

I'm not particularly advocating the Go Pro, especially since I've never personally actually used one. However the specs do seem to make it best placed to do what you need to do.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2015-07-28 at 05:52 PM.

I suggest a trail camera. Hunters use them to scout locations to hunt. You can do still shots and some if not most of them have video recording as well. They're made to be discreet.

Something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PHTCM28-R...n%3A4816646011

edit:

here's one with High def video recording.

http://www.spypoint.com/EN/products/...duct-HD-7.html
    Last edited by the game; 2015-07-28 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'm not sure if anything yet sounds perfect for what he wants as I'm not sure if some of the later suggestions allow streaming to a laptop or playback from another device. However I'll look into everything suggested so far thanks. Tbh, I'm not even entirely sure that it's going to be possible to get exactly what he wants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure which country you are in, but this is in Amazon's Todays Deals in the UK: Motorola Scout 73 Connect HD Outdoor Monitor http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N3LAWJC
    Last edited by Djinni; 2015-07-29 at 10:18 AM.

Ah that actually seems to tick all the boxes, it doesn't mention how close it needs to be fore wifi or anything though :S They have a pretty long garden also doesn't show any deal on it for me, but I wil send my father that one to look at along with the others from this thread, thanks so far!