Going over to the dark side - question for Shadow AS spec

So I'm asked to shift from holy to a shadow as my guild prepares to start mythic (guild already has a disc, and holy... we all know, ). I practiced a bit and more or less mastered the shadow COP rotation, and I haven't tried AS due to gear issues (low crit, ~15%). However from what I read, AS is superior at high gear levels.

First question I have is, for bosses like Assault, Concil, how much does AS pull ahead of COP when geared properly? Is it a few percent, or something like 10%, or even more?

Second question is the "rotation" of AS, do I just MB - spread Pain around - MB - ... DP when orbs >3, as the basic rotation? (mix in cascade, Death ofc)

Thanks! If possible, please use HFC encounters as examples to help me understand.

For fights like assault or council AS will easily pull ahead of CoP, even with relatively low crit. The rotation for AS is: keep SWP rolling on everything, cast Mind Blast/SWD on CD, and pump DPs on your priority target.

Deleted
    Can somebody please post a PvE rotation with AS and Mindbender in 6.2.2. for dummies who need to see it step by step ? Thank you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaip178 View Post
    Can somebody please post a PvE rotation with AS and Mindbender in 6.2.2. for dummies who need to see it step by step ? Thank you.
    Using AS and mindbender? Its not really a rotation and is actually very simple and easier to pull off than CoP rotations. Keep your cooldowns on cooldown (bender, blast and death when applicable), keep your dots up (swp>vt), cascade when shit needs cascading and use DP to not overcap on orbs or when you have to move. Fill with flay.
    Since the 20% flay buff in 6.2.2, insanity has become a much more viable option and I find I'm using it almost everywhere apart from Council and Xhul. Of course it helps that I find insanity a great deal more interesting to play with than bender, but bender is a lot simpler if you are learning shadow and the fights at the same time.

As for the relative difference between AS and CoP, it depends entirely on the fight. You have Zakuun and Kormrok, where you get best results using CoP with a dotless mindbender rotation or highmaul-style dotweaving, depending on your haste/mastery levels. Then you get Assault, Xhul'horac and Council where AS is just ridiculously better. Overall, it boils down to the fact that CoP is better single target, but is much less flexible. Its barely even worth putting dots on a second target (even less with class trinket and recent ST buffs) while playing CoP, so dont ever try to cleave with it, and the bonus to mind sear will almost always be useless padding on mythic progression.

Overall I play CoP on Reaver, Kormrok and Zakuun, and have played it on Kilrogg too the last couple of farm kills and seen better results with it. I only use the class trinket on Zakuun and Reaver, although I wouldn't use it on reaver progression as its largely useless during the airphase where most guilds will spend most of their progress time.
    Last edited by mmoc6bc984bfa2; 2015-09-20 at 12:17 AM.

Deleted
    Im not that good SP by any means, but what ive seen, AS only pulls ahead in spread aoe/cleave like council. For assault, my highest parse is with CoP for some reason.
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...124144/latest/

Deleted
    (0. get conspicious spirits)
    1. never overcap shadoworbs with AS
    2. NEVER overcap shadoworbs with AS
    3. What Diedre said, just that you will sometimes find yourself pressing DP on GCD due to rule 1+2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemski View Post
    Im not that good SP by any means, but what ive seen, AS only pulls ahead in spread aoe/cleave like council. For assault, my highest parse is with CoP for some reason.
    Playing AS properly has a much higher potential of damage on Assault that CoP does. Having SWP rolling on all decent targets lets you chain large amounts of burst into the main kill targets. I'd also recommend using insanity for the single target burst over mindbender, but thats less of a difference. Its hard to look at assault logs properly these days because of how the fights works. For us (11/13m, ~250-300 world rank) we have several phases of standing around for up to 20 seconds waiting for the next set of adds to spawn, which kills your dps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemski View Post
    That´s just because you play bad

Quote Originally Posted by Tinie View Post
    That´s just because you play bad
    No need to be mean.

You could be parsing bad on other fights due to raid comp. If adds are dying to quickly, then you'll get better DPS out of CoP. If adds are up for awhile, be a pad lord and you'll parse well.

Since the buffs in 6.2.2 I've been performing better with AS than CoP on every fight - even Fel Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamortykins View Post
    Since the buffs in 6.2.2 I've been performing better with AS than CoP on every fight - even Fel Lord.
    You have some CoP logs?