Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    Not sure it would, if they did it with 7.0 then it just be a new expansion with a clean slate, it woudn't bother me atleast.
    If you dump "easy" range checking, add-ons will just use spells.

Its *really* not as easy as you might think it is.

A big part of why WoW is so successful is its complex and advanced add-on system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    They did break AVR and HudMap because both were too powerful so maybe they'll do the same to WeakAuras.
    They did things they didn't want ppl to do in the game AVR was about as close to botting as you can get while still controlling your character. It took all thought out of fights. Weakauras can do some cool stuff it doesn't paint the room with safe and dangerous zones and high light the entire room with stuff.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Since the video is now private, I'm just wonder what exactly they used weak aura for and why it's broken?

Quote Originally Posted by Drodoo View Post
    Since the video is now private, I'm just wonder what exactly they used weak aura for and why it's broken?
    They had a HUD map that shows how dmg would move across the raid so ppl could stack out of it or aim the dmg to free spots. Several add ons will do stuff like this. The problem isn't the add ons it is Blizzard making fights so jumbled with shit now that people use them to filter out the garbage.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    In terms of generic Weak auras that display buffs, debuffs, custom timers based on combat log triggers etc. are not a problem, but the access to UnitPosition API in combat could definitely be revisited. Most of the bosses that nowadays have mechanics that force you to spread are just handled by a DBM or BigWigs range radar which kinda removes the mechanics entirely. Not necessarily related to the HFC WF race, but I could see the system being abused even more, mostly by building the entire boss area in weakauras and turning your entire screen into basically a huge minimap and a simplified AVR.

With that said I think blizzard should also take addons into account when making boss encounters and making such mechanics that can't be entirely done with just addons(Kromog+ert, every single spread x range to avoid pulsing/random AoE).
    Last edited by Puuhis; 2015-07-29 at 02:50 AM. Reason: *not a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Puuhis View Post
    In terms of generic Weak auras that display buffs, debuffs, custom timers based on combat log triggers etc. are not a problem, but the access to UnitPosition API in combat could definitely be revisited
    Take away UnitPosition - they will just create a reasonably accurate array based on spell rangechecking.

I don't know didn't they just remove avr because people were drawing dicks all the time ?
    Anyways don't think it's a problem very few people actually use those super sophisticated weakauras top guilds have at their disposal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    Final fantasy did it, it works
    Yeah...no. That interface causes instant aids unless you were using the standard wow ui before.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2015-07-29 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    Anyways don't think it's a problem very few people actually use those super sophisticated weakauras top guilds have at their disposal.
    ahahahaha, if thats what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by CTwin View Post
    ahahahaha, if thats what you think.
    No it's what I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    They did break AVR and HudMap because both were too powerful so maybe they'll do the same to WeakAuras.
    Blizzard never broke HudMap. The project was just forgotten until recently.

Beside, the HUD used by From Scratch has nothing to do with Weak Auras, that's a fully independent and original addon. In these cases, Weak Auras is just a convenient way to share Lua code between players. Making a radar display out of WeakAura is indeed quite impressive. You can't say an addon is too powerful just because it is flexible enough to allow coders to write custom actions and trigger and achieve things far beyond the addon original goal.

Take away Weak Auras, coders will just write plain addons while non-coders will lose a really great and useful addon that does not break the game when used as intended.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    AVR isn't comparable to the HUD used by From Scratch. There's nothing gamebreaking there.

Stop complaining about what top guilds do when it doesn't effect you.

WeakAuras doesn't display or track anything you couldn't see already, it just let's you display it in your on way. I use it to track my spell cooldowns and mana. That's it. That doesn't make me play much better, it just helps to a small degree.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I'd be a lot more concerned about what WA can do to you if you accept a string from someone you don't know than anything like this.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

I think Blizzard has been doing a better job at making mechanic visuals more convenient to see where addons like weakauras aren't needed. How many circles were there in the mannaroth fight? A lot. The luxury of detailed mechanic visuals didn't exist in ICC which is why AVR was a very controversial addition to high end raiding.

I think raid mechanics have changed enough since then so that players aren't too critical against addons that help with reacting to mechanics. Even if weak auras has gradually become more AVR-esque in its development, the more complicated nature of high-end raiding has made the public more approving of these sorts of things.

Mythic Wrought Chaos is a very extreme example of an ability that requires the whole raid to react very quickly to keep its damage in check. I don't blame weak auras for "trivializing" the mechanic but I think Blizzard has an obligation to not make mechanics like this in the first place. Besides, with a few more lockouts of gear 99% of mythic guilds probably won't be so hard pressed about double-hits on wrought chaos where they feel this WA string is needed to kill the boss.

10+ Year Old Account
    The failure in this case is not in allowing SUPER powerful addons like WA to exist, the failure is in designing mythic bosses which absolutely require these addons in order for the players to succeed. Bosses should be about getting the most out of your class and working as a team, not learning LUA code and designing the best weakaura to handle the absurd mechanic (see: mythic wrought chaos).

15+ Year Old Account
    If they break WA someone will just come up with something new it cant be stopped.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Holy fuck people cannot read a thread, this has fucking nothing to do with method vs pargon how the fuck can you not see that. It's purely a question on is the addons in use to powerful.

This style of weak aura has existed and been used for years now, I'm not saying I agree with it but certainly Blizzard does or they'd have put a stop to it like AVR.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Blizzard doesn't break addons by saying "this addon doesn't load anymore" or something like that. They break it by removing access to certain API functions and the like. In case of AVR, what broke it was that Blizzard apparently changed access (or content?) of some CVars which provided information about the camera position. So there's no real way to break WA as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    No it's what I know.
    The Malkorok addon was really popular, and that's an addon. Being able to just get the Archimonde WA through a click in-game is much easier.