Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    This was inevitable imo. The only way Blizzard can make truly challenging content is by overloading your senses and creating chaos. Making 20 players running a mechanic is just an evolution of that.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard must block all addons and remove API of any kind. With addons Blizzard must create abilites that can't be countered without them. Everything that can be countered without addons will be trivial with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Girrag View Post
    Blizzard must block all addons and remove API of any kind. With addons Blizzard must create abilites that can't be countered without them. Everything that can be countered without addons will be trivial with them.
    There are ways to use something like Addons without Blizzard enabling this, ofcourse it isn't "legal" then, but people will find a way to do stuff, take Diablo3 HUD's as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Girrag View Post
    We've gotten a lot of good "official" Blizzard features thanks to them being user-created addons first. It would be stupid to stop this tradition.

If they were to disable WA they should have to disable DBM and Big Wigs cause they are pretty much mandatory for raiding and they give you valueable info on being too close to people and timers.

Deleted
    They design these encounters with addons in mind, they've said that much iirc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    They didn't. DBM has it built in. You know, those red and yellow circles that move across your screen.
    Why was it not updated or remade then? It was sick, I loved that addon. It showed everything and worked for all ICC bosses and made avoiding things super easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    They design these encounters with addons in mind, they've said that much iirc.
    Yes, and then addons go a step further and they either have to design encounters with those parameters in mind OR disable addons from using those features.

That is the point of the OP. This feature was barely used the past couple years but on archimonde it trivializes (yes) a complicated mechanic. The thread is here to discuss whether that's acceptable and blizzard should just design with this in mind too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

7+ Year Old Account
    From what I am seeing from Videos, AVR seems like Wildstar Telegraphs. I do not think WA can do that, I might be wrong though. If WA could do that everyone would be using it for telegraphing boss abilites. WA is essentially just a way for people to make their own mini addons without having to do Lua. It is not as powerful as AVR and it is a completely fair addon.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    That is the point of the OP. This feature was barely used the past couple years but on archimonde it trivializes (yes) a complicated mechanic. The thread is here to discuss whether that's acceptable and blizzard should just design with this in mind too.
    It does not trivialize the mechanic, it makes it much more manageable. All these addons are doing is adding clarity to an effect that should have been more clear in the first place.

Oh look, people crying for a useful addon to get ruined because a guild full of people they don't even know used it when they beat another guild full of people they don't even know. Wreck the long standing WoW addon system because I get personally affected by guilds I'm not in!

Quote Originally Posted by TeksRunetotem View Post
    From what I am seeing from Videos, AVR seems like Wildstar Telegraphs. I do not think WA can do that, I might be wrong though. If WA could do that everyone would be using it for telegraphing boss abilites. WA is essentially just a way for people to make their own mini addons without having to do Lua. It is not as powerful as AVR and it is a completely fair addon.
    If you only want to display a random buff/debuff yeah you don't have to know lua, but anything that is being discussed here in the thread requires really good lua-coders.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reloe View Post
    If you only want to display a random buff/debuff yeah you don't have to know lua, but anything that is being discussed here in the thread requires really good lua-coders.
    Even if you need good LUA coders, the Addon isn't as powerful as AVR, and if Blizzard had any issue with it or some part of its functionality they would break that function or even the whole addon.

Even if you need good LUA coders, the Addon isn't as powerful as AVR, and if Blizzard had any issue with it or some part of its functionality they would break that function or even the whole addon.
    Well as far as i know blizz removed the API to recieve your camera angle, thats what broke avr essentially? Thats also why those yellow/red circles from dbm aren't 100% accurate.
    But as I said, people will always find a way to do stuff. I guess its really hard for Blizzard to make encounters that aren't trivialized by addons. If you look at fel lord for example its an encounter where you have to have a good reaction time for when you get seeds, but then again a weakaura makes it pretty easy for you because it'll tell you where to run.
    We have to live with the fact, that addons are a big part of mythic raiding and that isn't likely to change and it wouldn't make things better if it would change.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reloe View Post
    Well as far as i know blizz removed the API to recieve your camera angle, thats what broke avr essentially? Thats also why those yellow/red circles from dbm aren't 100% accurate.
    But as I said, people will always find a way to do stuff. I guess its really hard for Blizzard to make encounters that aren't trivialized by addons. If you look at fel lord for example its an encounter where you have to have a good reaction time for when you get seeds, but then again a weakaura makes it pretty easy for you because it'll tell you where to run.
    We have to live with the fact, that addons are a big part of mythic raiding and that isn't likely to change and it wouldn't make things better if it would change.
    Well said.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Yes, and then addons go a step further and they either have to design encounters with those parameters in mind OR disable addons from using those features.

They already do though, WoW's API is probably the most well maintained in any MMORPG that supports interface modifications. You can see an earlier example of similar functions on Malkorok, the developers are obviously fine making encounters knowing that the players have the ability to create these simple visual aids. It's probably not correct to say trivializing, there was still strategy that went into planning that tactic. These are also the best players in the world, and had hundreds of wipes, I think it's safe to say they got it down to making it look effortless.

- - - Updated - - -

It was, and if Wildstar is anything it's good proof that even with telegraph-like visuals in place raid content can still be challenging. I think an addon that draws a line is perfectly acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    They already do though, WoW's API is probably the most well maintained in any MMORPG that supports interface modifications. You can see an earlier example of similar functions on Malkorok, the developers are obviously fine making encounters knowing that the players have the ability to create these simple visual aids. It's probably not correct to say trivializing, there was still strategy that went into planning that tactic. These are also the best players in the world, and had hundreds of wipes, I think it's safe to say they got it down to making it look effortless.
    Compare mechanic with and without addon. THAT is trivialized.

This feature hasn't been used to this extent before, so the verdict is up whether blizzard will stop it's use. AVR was used for ages before blizzard started to ban it.

Also this mechanic doesn't make hte whole fight trivial - but it's fair to say this mechanic becomes trivial due to addons. Yes it's not the only one this expansion, but it's certainly one of the most severe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."