10+ Year Old Account

Laptop dead - Looking to buy replacement ASAP

Hello everyone,

Recently the laptop that I use for school and gaming has died. I'm looking to find a replacement that has better specs. My budget right now is between $700-$850CAD.

My old laptop had: 6GB ram, 1000GB harddrive, AMD A6-3410MX (1.6ghz) processor, AMD A6-3410MX graphics processor

I need a replacement laptop as soon as possible and I have no idea where to really look. I would obviously like to get a new laptop that is better than my old one if possible within my price range. I was very close to buying the following laptop: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/...b177b4117aen02 though I decided to leave the store and post here first to get a better opinion on this. The laptop would be used for school and gaming (of course I know I won't be running the latest games at 60+ fps on max settings within my budget) While the above laptop has a really good amount of RAM I am a bit worried about the CPU/GPU.

Thank you so much for your help!!
    Last edited by Syndicate; 2015-07-29 at 03:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that's probably the best you'll find, given what the exchange rate is like right now. I'm not finding anything that would improve upon it without needing another $100+ of budget. Though note that your selection doesn't have an optical drive and you'll need to BYO if you need one.

And it would be an upgrade. This is what you currently have for a GPU, and this is what your proposed laptop has. You're looking at 2 to 6 times the performance.

Though in case you find more budget, this is one of the improvements I mentioned. Better CPU, better GPU, better screen, and an optical drive, in exchange for some RAM (which you can always upgrade later) and hard drive space (ditto). I believe it also has an mSATA slot for an SSD in addition to the hard drive, for $979

Also, you might look at local independent shops for end-of-run bargains. For example, at my favourite local shop, they have this unit available, which is the above mentioned up-budget, but with a step down on the GPU for just $919.
    Last edited by Masark; 2015-07-30 at 09:18 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters