Why aren't the Riverbeasts aquatic mounts?

Considering they are aquatic animals, and the one in the Stables goes at full speed on water when you have to capture it.

10+ Year Old Account
    another blizzard oversight and another missed opportunity. it should have been treated as one, but like everything else this expansion it just doesnt live up to its full potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharum View Post
    Considering they are aquatic animals, and the one in the Stables goes at full speed on water when you have to capture it.
    Another feather in the cap for the ideas Blizzard has and didn't think them all the way through but just added part of an idea in game.

Most likely because they're based on the Hippopotamus, which actually can't swim.

Edit: Grammar

Just because a creature lives in shallow water doesn't automatically mean a swimmer. The riverbeasts tend to be near shallow water more than deep lakes.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    another blizzard oversight and another missed opportunity. it should have been treated as one, but like everything else this expansion it just doesnt live up to its full potential.
    That's only assuming it wasn't intentional, since aquatic mounts move 0% faster on the ground, and they didn't want either A. no one to use hippos because they can't run or B. to make hippos a "required" mount since it moves 100% on land and faster in water.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Treno View Post
    Most likely because they're based on the Hippopotamus, which actually can't swim.

Be that as it may, the entire game is filled with swimming riverbeasts.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

This is a very good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Treno View Post

Treno, I'm not sure if you're aware of how fast hippopotamus' can move in the water
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEXYw91lQuY

I've tried to find some facts about how fast they move in the water and all i've managed to dig up is they go a little over half the speed of their running capabilities which can reach up to 35km an hour, 17km an hour swimming? that's pretty fast.

(Apologies, i refuse to refer to measurement in miles.)

Quote Originally Posted by Boogums View Post
    That's only assuming it wasn't intentional, since aquatic mounts move 0% faster on the ground, and they didn't want either A. no one to use hippos because they can't run or B. to make hippos a "required" mount since it moves 100% on land and faster in water.
    Why can the waterstrider run across water at 100% then? It's the default ground mount on all my characters, even the ones with waterwalking abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    Why can the waterstrider run across water at 100% then? It's the default ground mount on all my characters, even the ones with waterwalking abilities.
    Currently a mount that swims fast is either not useable or is at running speed while on land. The water strider is an exception that water walks, a few classes already have mounted water walking. But it also requires you to go out of your way to earn them with some work involved (nat pagle both times and both times take you aside from everything else to earn them...except stockpiling thousands of fish ofcourse, 100 lucky coins for this expansions version is at minimum 24 hours of fishing straight) compared to the hippo's which are world drops, main faction vendor items, etc.

Being swimming mounts would mean they were going to be an easily available mount that was be at top speed on land, ontop of water, in the water.

Or more simply put. They never intended for them to be swimming speed mounts as those are often only brought in under special circumstances.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2015-08-03 at 10:34 AM.