Why guilds that need a tank don't want a paladin?

I'm on one of the biggest EU servers and I'm scanning trade chat and forums for guild recruitment messages and all I see (except the usual LF healers / ranged, tank spots closed) is LF 1 tank DK/Monk, LF Tank (NO PALA), LF tank monk preferred, other classes considered, but no pala, LF tank DK/Monk/Druid etc. etc. at least since 6.2 launched if not from before.

I thought buffs to protection paladins and set bonus would change something (like buffs to frost DKs made guilds suddenly recruiting them in droves since 6.2, I've never seen so many guilds recruit dps dks in BRF), so does anyone have any sensible explanation why paladin tanks are so unwanted? Or is it some weird phenomenon on my server and it's different where you play?

The only other class that I see so unwanted is Hunters, but that's simple to explain, they're easy to play at a basic level (casual to average level), great for soloing, fastest to level and nearly everyone has one, plus they can dps on the move so they're more forgiving to play in raids that require movement too. But still I bet I'd easier find a guild for a hunter than for a prot pala.

While Paladin tanks have been buffed recently DK, Monk, and Druid tanks are still quite a bit better then Paladin tanks for mythic. A good paladin tank can absolutely do mythic but as a raid leader you wouldn't recruit something when there are 3 other better options available.

10+ Year Old Account
    You only need 2 tanks for Mythic. With 5 tank specs to choose from, at any time, there will always be 2 specs which are better than the rest. Most guild leaders go the easy route - go for the FOTM and ignore the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paladins are currently one of the weakest of the tanks (The various tanking nerfs with 6.0 hit them HARD). While they are getting a number of small buffs, theres no point to pick a paladin when you can pick a Druid (Huge HP pool, great mitigation when geared, bursts does not exist), DKs (Same as Druid) and Monks (lolwhatsdamage).

As it stands, the two blocking tanks are subpar. Pally has very little to mitigate magic damage with, only having Divine Protection which you have to glyph for 20/20% damage reduction. Warrior is, imo, a better spot then Paladin as they can mitigate magic damage decently with Shield Barrier, but they are lacking somewhat on the overall physical damage mitigation side, taking more auto-damage then monks/druids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Paladins are currently one of the weakest of the tanks (The various tanking nerfs with 6.0 hit them HARD). While they are getting a number of small buffs, theres no point to pick a paladin when you can pick a Druid (Huge HP pool, great mitigation when geared, bursts does not exist), DKs (Same as Druid) and Monks (lolwhatsdamage).

As it stands, the two blocking tanks are subpar. Pally has very little to mitigate magic damage with, only having Divine Protection which you have to glyph for 20/20% damage reduction. Warrior is, imo, a better spot then Paladin as they can mitigate magic damage decently with Shield Barrier, but they are lacking somewhat on the overall physical damage mitigation side, taking more auto-damage then monks/druids.
    Holy shield is pretty great for magic damage no?

This is not the case anymore, the 4set with the buffs and class trinket put Prot Paladins well and truly on equal footing with other tanks.

I guess the main issue with Paladin tanks is that its easy to play them poorly as its very easy to not have the optimal rotation for your spec and not use your CDs at the right times. But played well with tier 18 + buffs, they are owning HFC.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deidios View Post
    as a raid leader you wouldn't recruit something when there are 3 other better options available.
    Yes but I'd rather have a good Paladin than a bad DK/Monk/Druid/Warrior.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    There are often other factors as well. My guild has 4 pallies already and we have declined apps based purely on class. They are a popular class so spreading the classes around helps with tier distribution. We currently have 3 ppl on the rogue/dk/monk/druid tier :/ wtb more DKs ands druids.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    Yes but I'd rather have a good Paladin than a bad DK/Monk/Druid/Warrior.
    And if you're recruiting from a pool of unknown-skill players, you'd also rather have an unknown DK/Monk/Druid/Warrior than an unknown paladin... if you think paladins are weak. Maybe the news of our 4-set hasn't percolated through yet. Raid leaders doing their recruiting probably just saw the 6.2 patch "paladins are weak and Slootbag switched to druid" stuff and didn't keep up to date with hotfixes.

Why are they unknown? You just do a 1week trial and then you know