Low FPS in High Population Areas

Hi guys I'm having a kind of annoying problem. I'll leave my specs below for you to read so someone can figure out what is going on. One of the main servers I play on is Kel'Thuzad so it's a pretty high population server. Stormshield is always really crowded so whenever I load into the area I get pretty bad fps drops down to around 30-40 when I want to stay at a stable 60.Right around the area where pvp vendors are there's about a hundred people just standing around. I only play on the High settings and my resolution is 1920x1080. I don't know how to fix this when I just recently upgraded my graphics card and my cpu isn't all that bad.
    CPU: fx 6350
    GPU: msi r9 390 8gb

Deleted
    mmorpgs depend more in cpu than gpu; WoW just use 2 cores of a cpu which means that the ideal cpu for wow is the one with best single core performance, making it for you unfortunately since AMD cpus doesn't shine in their single core performance, just best option would be OC the cpu

I don't have much experience with the AMD chips, but only dropping to 30-40 FPS in that crowded of an environment is pretty good.

Short of a new motherboard/CPU and possibly a faster/lower latency internet connection, I doubt there's much you can do other than drastically lowering the settings for things like the distance rendered. The Intel chips generally have better performance than the AMD chips, as the "lower performance but more cores" strategy they used wasn't an effective one for the more or less single threaded environment of most games.

Even then there's only so much that will do. Lag in such situations has been a fact of life in WoW pretty much since the beginning and you don't want to know what something like the opening of the gates of AQ were like, when most of the server turned out in one place.
    Last edited by Akainakali; 2015-07-30 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitterra View Post
    Hi guys I'm having a kind of annoying problem. I'll leave my specs below for you to read so someone can figure out what is going on. One of the main servers I play on is Kel'Thuzad so it's a pretty high population server. Stormshield is always really crowded so whenever I load into the area I get pretty bad fps drops down to around 30-40 when I want to stay at a stable 60.Right around the area where pvp vendors are there's about a hundred people just standing around. I only play on the High settings and my resolution is 1920x1080. I don't know how to fix this when I just recently upgraded my graphics card and my cpu isn't all that bad.
    Yes, your CPU is that bad, because it's AMD. WoW is primarilty a single threaded game and AMDs individual cores are much weaker than intels. Seriously, an intel Pentium G3258, which is a dual core without hyperthreading, outperforms AMD 8 core CPUs in WoW because AMD focuses on having more cores not stronger individual cores. It's great for multi-threaded operations, but not for single core.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterra View Post
    It's your CPU. It's pretty awful. Don't fall for AMD's "OMG 8 CORES LOL" gimmick; each core sucks, and WoW only focuses on single core performance.

Intel > AMD, every time in the CPU department.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Deleted
    No it isnt the CPU...

I run An 8350 CPU. I had a gtx660ti. I recently just upgraded it to a R9290x 8Gb version. Since doing this my FPS is pretty shit in wow. But ONLY wow.

142 FPS in bf4 on ultra... 32 FPS in wow.. lol..

The 660 used to give me high 70s fps.. Just amd drivers don't seem to like wow.

OK thanks everyone for the replies. I read up on it and its mostly the same thing. I'm upgrading CPU, mobo, and case within a week or so I was just making sure it was my CPU that was the problem. Thanks again.