Page 1 of 2
LastLast

w10 update random?

Is the notification randomly selected or is there some place to download it? I see hundreds of people with the download done already so I'm a bit curious. Thanks!

I dont have the update on my desktop or laptop yet, be patient young padawan

I really wish people would stop recommending that tool. Its very possible people dont have the update yet because windows has not found the proper drivers and downloaded them to your machine yet, this is why you see so many people with problems who use the option the guy above linked. If you are impatient and want problems go ahead, but smart money is waiting until you get the notification.

Deleted
    Update is priority based. First insider people, then whoever that reserved earliest.

However you can force the update the following way :

1. You pretty much make sure all updates are installed (so search a few times and keep installing updates).
    2. You open command prompt in admin mode and type : wuauclt.exe /updatenow
    3. After that it should show you windows 10 download is ready or it starts downloading
    4. Go to control panel and reveal hidden folders - if it's downloading you'll see a folder called WINDOWS$BT

5. The file will be around 6.3gig big. If it stops at 5gig, then you can go to :

Windows folder
    Software destribution
    Downloads - AND DELETE EVERYTHING INSIDE THAT FOLDER.

6. That should try to push the upgrade another time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I really wish people would stop recommending that tool. Its very possible people dont have the update yet because windows has not found the proper drivers and downloaded them to your machine yet, this is why you see so many people with problems who use the option the guy above linked. If you are impatient and want problems go ahead, but smart money is waiting until you get the notification.
    I don't get the annoyance. How exactly does it affect you if people want to try something new head on?

It is not set in stone at least; for instance, I had not had Windows Update on for over a year, and I did all the updates since then today, and I was also able to download it (in-Windows) today.

So I guess make sure you are fully updated?

Yea I'm fully updated so I guess I'll just play the waiting game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just google how to force it. Its like one line in the command prompt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Update is priority based. First insider people, then whoever that reserved earliest.

However you can force the update the following way :

1. You pretty much make sure all updates are installed (so search a few times and keep installing updates).
    2. You open command prompt in admin mode and type : wuauclt.exe /updatenow
    3. After that it should show you windows 10 download is ready or it starts downloading
    4. Go to control panel and reveal hidden folders - if it's downloading you'll see a folder called WINDOWS$BT

5. The file will be around 6.3gig big. If it stops at 5gig, then you can go to :

Windows folder
    Software destribution
    Downloads - AND DELETE EVERYTHING INSIDE THAT FOLDER.

6. That should try to push the upgrade another time.
    I doubt there is a priority. I reserved it on my desktop right away, and still haven't gotten the update. But my laptop I reserved the morning of the 29th, and was able to update in less than 5 minutes. I wasn't in the betas

I am installing 10 on my laptop right now, i dont recall when i reserved the upgrade but it was at least a few weeks after my desktop.....which hasnt got the 10 upgrade yet. /shrug

All I did to install it on my PC that said, "Thanks, but you have to wait until we're ready for you." I downloaded the installer tool to make a USB bootdrive. With that, I then started setup in Windows and it upgraded. I believe it's only if you want to do a clean install that you need to wait for it so your key is validated, but upgrading it inside Windows 7/8.1 worked for me.

My Surface Pro 3 got the prompt to install at like 11 PM MDT on the 28th.
    CPU - i9 9900k | CPU Cooler - Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | Motherboard - MSI Z390 Godlike | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 2080 Ti
    RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | SSD - 2x Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVMe | PSU - EVGA Supernova 750w P2 |Case - Corsair Air 540

I fixed the problem with this link here

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/com...ng_to_install/

Now that I have w10 I'm having a problem with Nvidia drivers being updated. w10 so far seems like a pain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gkai View Post

Now that I have w10 I'm having a problem with Nvidia drivers being updated. w10 so far seems like a pain.
    That is more your fault by not checking if there are Nvidia drivers for W10.....

I "forced" it on my laptop and I have zero issues. I used the method from the third reply.

After I reserved I was able to just download it from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10 and working perfectly now running W10.

10+ Year Old Account
    I forced it and i'm good. Everything works. Linked it to my friends, they forced it and are also fine. I'm not saying everyone everywhere can force it and be alright but can't hurt to try, you can just roll back.

10+ Year Old Account

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html

download the latetest 353.62 from the link .. solved my TITAN X issue ..

u need to restart after u install it as u will get error code 43 on ur GPU ..

Deleted

You must have been using old drivers, the latest drivers they pushed (before 29th) were W10 compatible, and those gave no problems during install. It's up to you to always check your drivers before you upgrade to a windows, there was enough warning on tech blogs about of date drivers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by addlemanc View Post
    I doubt there is a priority. I reserved it on my desktop right away, and still haven't gotten the update. But my laptop I reserved the morning of the 29th, and was able to update in less than 5 minutes. I wasn't in the betas
    There is a priority system, there's been blog posts about it and microsft tech have confirmed it multiple times.

Gotta remember there's around 3 billion eligible computers, if even a 10th of them upgrades, it's a long queue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I Went through every Insider build they released and decided to wait at the bare minimum 1 month before installing it on my working PC. Nothing is working 100% yet... and probably never will as it is windows after all
    i7 4770k 4.6GHZ................................................ ¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
    OCZ Arc 100 x2 (240g) RAID 0.........................°º¤ø„¸? Druid ,„ø¤º°¨
    Kingston HyperX 8 gig 2400.......................... ¸„ø¤º°¨ For Life! 0¤ø„¸
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 OC.......................... ¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸ ¨°º¤ø

15+ Year Old Account
    The linked upgrade tool checks to ensure the system is compatible before upgrading. It does the same checks as waiting for your turn in the Win10 waves. There's zero harm in using it to "force" an early upgrade. I've run it on my Win8.1 system and my wife's Win7 system with zero hassles. The safe bet is simply to re-install your video drivers after the upgrade.