Too much mastery - Boomkin

Hey, so I've looked around at top boomkin players along with this site and many other top sites regarding boomkin rotation/stats. My question is, is it possible to have too much mastery? I'm currently sitting at 71% mastery raid buffed and with savage feast food buff. I'm around 20% crit and I have two piece T-18. My armory is Kitkàt - Sargeras US Alliance. Should I be gemming/enchanting for crit? Do I need more haste? Or is this amount of mastery fine? I realize I should sim myself, but I'm not very good at it. I will take a look at it though. Thanks in advance from a semi-noob boomy.

You cannot get enough mastery because it's a mastery that can increase past 100%.

tldr mastery is even good at 1000%

7+ Year Old Account
    There is no such thing as too much mastery.

You can gem for haste if you feel your long cast times are making you unable to perform the rotation up to par, but to truly min/max you have to deal with the long cast times and pour your secondaries into mastery.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I figured you couldn't have too much mastery, just wanted to make sure! I appreciate the answers!

I ran some simulations of your character with different combinations of haste and mastery enchants. There are 275 points of stats to play around with (50 + 50 + 100 + 75). Your actual character is the "275mastery_0haste" character and the other characters have a few combinations of the mastery enchants replaced by haste ones.

The simulations were run with the latest version of SimulationCraft (620-03), with a 450 second fight length, 20% length variation, and 25000 iterations. I tried a few different fight styles, but the results were pretty consistent: swapping all of the enchants from mastery to haste was a minor DPS increase (on the order of 0.7%-1.8% across the different fight styles).

Patchwerk, 1 target, results

Patchwerk, 3 targets, results

Patchwerk, 5 targets, results

HeavyMovement, 1 target, results

HeavyMovement, 3 targets, results

This isn't meant as a comprehensive analysis of all the different stats. You could probably find a better setup than switching everything to haste. It's just meant to illustrate that it isn't quite right to say that to truly min/max you should always go full mastery. You have to run the sims to check. Also, because of how close the marginal weights of the stats are, the best solution will vary widely as your stat amounts change.

Because of this and the fact that the differences are so small, you're perfectly safe just going full mastery. But it isn't always the correct answer for min/maxing. You have to run the sims to check.
    Last edited by Tarm; 2015-07-30 at 02:22 AM.

I'm curious about how you are able to change which enchants you're using. I assume it's through the Reforge Plots tab, but I'm not quite sure how to do it.

I used the Automation tool under Import. I selected gear as the comparison type and included a bunch of gearsets with the different enchants. You can just change enchant=75mastery to enchant=75haste or whatever.

There are a few more automated ways of making these comparisons as well.

One is in the Plots tab under Options. What this does is run a bunch of simulations where it starts with the stats of the profile that you are simulating and then varies the amount of each of the stats you specify. Here I ran a scaling plot of a version of Kitkat without any enchants equipped. It should give a sense for what the character's DPS would be like if it was enchanted for different amounts of either haste, mastery or crit:

So again, we can see that haste wins out. This is not a perfect comparison because it doesn't actually show tradeoffs, but it can give a sense for how each stat would scale if you added that stat alone.

Another, probably better, way is the Reforge Plots tab under Options. With this, you can select 2 stats and see how DPS changes as you exchange one for the other. Here, I took Kitkat with mastery enchants on and ran a reforge plot between mastery and haste (from -475 to +500 in increments of 25):

This again shows that Kitkat could increase simulated DPS by exchanging mastery for haste. However, we can see that it only increases DPS when you swap up to about 250. Any more than that and mastery become better than haste again and so DPS falls when we gain more haste and lose mastery. The peak of this reforge plot is the point we should aim for: DPS is maximized and the marginal weights of haste and mastery are equal.
    Last edited by Tarm; 2015-07-31 at 05:07 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maldehv View Post
    I'm curious about how you are able to change which enchants you're using. I assume it's through the Reforge Plots tab, but I'm not quite sure how to do it.
    It's not.

At the bottom of your sim profile you do:

copy=haste_enchants
    neck=vial_of_imiscible_liquid,id=itemidhere,bonusid=567,enchant=75haste

And it will run the exact same thing as the original profile swapping out the conditions you stipulate in the copy.

Thanks for the information guys, I appreciate it.