Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Where's muh brofist bro?

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    before you sympathy for her, think of how many teenagerslife she would ruin with the drugs she smuggled

Quote Originally Posted by Teaon View Post
    before you sympathy for her, think of how many teenagerslife she would ruin with the drugs she smuggled
    About as many as the lives without her smuggling the drug. Drug use will exist whether or not there are bans on it. Drug bans are silly.

sounds a bit extreme, but the concept of severely punishing drug mules or w.e sounds about right...

if the woman was framed.. well.. too bad..

if she is guilty... well.... ha hah hahahahaha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    About as many as the lives without her smuggling the drug. Drug use will exist whether or not there are bans on it. Drug bans are silly.
    so.... is that like a "drug user and proud" statement?

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post

so.... is that like a "drug user and proud" statement?
    Never touched a drug other than alcohol in my life. So I'm not defending myself. I also haven't got any relatives that use drugs, as far as I know. It's just the nature of people to try things and do whatever the flick they went to their own bodies. How's that for a hard concept to grasp?

Drug bans are silly.
    No they're not. If anything, they need to be more aggressive, and focused on the people producing them rather than trying to fixing it by focusing on the symptoms rather than the cause.

That said, those who are involved in the symptoms -- especially voluntarily -- deserve every bit of justice they receive. They're not innocent by any means whatsoever.

Never touched a drug other than alcohol in my life. So I'm not defending myself. I also haven't got any relatives that use drugs, as far as I know. It's just the nature of people to try things and do whatever the flick they went to their own bodies. How's that for a hard concept to grasp?
    That guy has a personal vendetta against every drug, don't try to argue with it.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Death Penalty is a pretty harsh punishment, but if you are stupid enough to smuggle drugs to a country where it is the punishment you gain no sympathy from me.

10+ Year Old Account
    She broke the law and now has to pay the price.

She is from Columbia... who the hell does not check on people that come from Columbia of all places if they have any drugs on them, and smuggling it in a computer it just stupid as hell.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    She broke the law and now has to pay the price.
    Sometimes laws are just so asinine they must not only be broken, but utterly destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant Groove View Post

That said, those who are involved in the symptoms -- especially voluntarily -- deserve every bit of justice they receive. They're not innocent by any means whatsoever.
    Justice? I wonder who in Beelzebub's name is affected by their behaviour in any way that there would be need to apply justice? Why not just let those people put whatever substance in their body they fancy and deal with the obvious consequences themselves? I don't understand the need to increase their long-term suffering by punishing their behaviour.
    Teach people drugs are bad, but more than that is just plain repression.

Deleted
    How's that for a hard concept to grasp?
    And how hard of a concept is it for you to understand that for as long as society, that being everyone, has to fork out money and resources to take care of those who abuse things, we need to draw lines as to what is acceptable and what is not.

The whole "It's my body, I can do what I want" falls flat on its face when you take into account that people like me, being an emt/p, ends up having to deal with the consequences of their irresponsibility.

Drug laws are part of the whole, surely a death penalty for it is excessive but it should still be illegal and carry hefty fines and/or jail time.

10+ Year Old Account
    /facepalm

The cliches that get trotted out in some of the China threads are mind boggling, particularly given the age of many posters here. Catch up, folks.

With that out of my system . . .

As noted by another poster, the title of the thread is wildly misleading since she hasn't been sentenced at all -- let alone sentenced to death. The article itself may also be spinning things a bit, they present her as some random model and budding soccer star, but why was she coming to China? To make money as a business woman. Buried down the page:

Her friend Lis Hernandez told the website she went to China to collect clothing, accessories and other souvenirs she could sell back home.
    Does that ring odd to anyone? She's a small time model and plays soccer for a minor team. Did she just hop on a plane to fly half way around the world and buy a few dresses to resell? What's her budget, where is the money coming from, are small time Colombian soccer players paid well enough that they can fly around the world to indulge in penny ante trade? It doesn't add up for me. People fly halfway around the world when they expect to make enough money to make it worthwhile. Also, the drugs *could* have been placed in her baggage, but it wasn't simply her baggage. It was her computer, something that most of us keep fairly close at hand. What's the more probable scenario? Think about your computer. How easily could a person grab your computer, fill it with drugs and return it to you without you noticing? Oh, and they'll want a way to get the drugs back on the other end of the trip, so they need to do it twice.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I don't care she is a 22 year old model, I don't think she deserves death, but what she did was pretty fucking stupid.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

What she did is stupid, but the death penalty for someone you could easily just kick out and then ban from your country is just...what

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe
    the death penalty for someone you could easily just kick out and then ban from your country is just...what
    Hypothetical. It's just hypothetical. The thread title misstates things considerably. A woman was arrested. She has not been sentenced. It isn't clear at this time if the death penalty is a possible punishment for the (currently undisclosed) amount of (currently unknown type) of drug she was arrested for. Among the crimes that China assigns the possibility of capital punishment are unauthorized trafficking/selling of cocaine. It is not, however, a mandatory death sentence.

Note that, in theory, the very same can be said of drug offenses in the US -- the US in theory could apply the death penalty for some kinds of drug case, including cocaine.

Of the two countries, the US appears to be clearer that a large amount would need to be involved, but the death penalty might apply to a wider variety of drugs.
    China does not seem to be clear on amounts, but lists heroin, opium, morphine and cocaine -- whereas the US may include PCP, LSD, methamphetamine, and marijuana.

Various categories of defendant may be excluded from the death penalty in China, including those under 18 at the time of the crime, women who are pregnant at time of trial, individuals over 75 at time of trial (with limited exceptions), and those whose mental illness at the time of the crime made them unable to recognize or control their act. There is also automatic review of death sentences.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

How fucking dumb do you need to be to smuggle drugs abroad? China especially ffs.

7+ Year Old Account
    They're not silly.

It looks that I'm the only one that agrees with countries like China, Singapore or Malaysia when it comes to those motherfuckers. In Europe we like to suck smugglers cocks instead of killing them (cause we are merciful), while complaining that so many lives are wasted to drugs. Two days ago they found 330 kg of heroin hidden in a truck with modified gas tanks trying to cross the Romanian border, destination Netherlands. What do you think it will happen to those responsible? 2-3 years in prison, it's a fucking joke lol

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergar View Post
    How fucking dumb do you need to be to smuggle drugs abroad? China especially ffs.
    As an average model.

(sorry, was too easy, couldn't resist >.<)

But yeah... smuggling drug is already stupid, doing so in China is pretty much... suicidal :/
    Oh, hi.