15+ Year Old Account

So what are your impression of this early yet live version of EDGE?

I used it alot since launch and I would kind of sum it up as great potentional but not really there yet.

Unsure of the English word but the Reading View(?) is a really nice feature.
    They UI is clean and crisp due to its minimalistic layout. In fact in my view it is outstanding.

I like it very much but it got some rather prominent hick ups as of yet.
    * Scrolling down a page sometimes stalls for a few seconds efore continuing to scroll
    * No extension support, Wellcome back all Ads.
    * Quite often it load a page, just noticeable slower than Chrome.
    * Some times when I ctrl-T for an additional page the cursor does not start at the input box so I need to click or tab before I can start typing

Hopefully they will get sorted soon enough at least the performance issues.

What are your feeling of Edge.
    Like it / hate it / tied too much to google that its pointless to change / what?
    Last edited by Bakis; 2015-07-30 at 05:58 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I don't mind ads much in general.
    I kind of filter them out, the only problems are especially obnoxious ones (pop-up or popunder, super-flashy) and click-bait sites, where I disable them, because fuck click-baiters.

I quite like the modern version of IE and I'm liking what I've seen of Edge thus far.
    Then again, I'm happy to use anything other than Chrome or Fx.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's fast but because of ads it's slower than Chrome and FireFox. It's IE but fancier.

15+ Year Old Account
    No extensions -> not going to use it.

Chrome has awesome extensions + it's synced with my Android phone and Chromebook laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

15+ Year Old Account
    One thing I forgot, as I mentioned with scrolling it also happens when I type.
    Sometimes it will 'freeze' for 2-3 secs. Annoying as fuck but baby issues in its infancy I HOPE.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bigger difference of Edge in comparison to the others is that Edge is a modern windows app and is DPI aware by default. What does that mean? It means that text isn't going to look blurry if you use it at a 4K laptop with a 15 inch screen, where normal win32 programs would display an obnoxiously small text by default, then try to make it bigger by a system override and while it works sometimes, it looks really bad when it doesn't. And inconsistent with things getting bigger and others things not changing size.

But there's a slightly problem with it being DPI aware and looking the "same" for any res you throw it, it doesn't see pixels as win32 programs do and therefore can't use sub-pixel rendering to sharpen it's text in normal DPI displays. (a 1080p 23.6 inch display is a normal DPI display, same for 1440x900 19 inch or 1024x768 / 1366x768 for 15 inch)

While you need to have both browsers opened to notice the difference, and clear-type (it's on by default), Microsoft is betting on the future of high DPI display, and while having a large screen real state is something very useful for anything related to getting work done, having high density instead is beautiful for the majority of tasks.

(never noticed how Android looks the same regardless of phone res? That's what DPI aware means.)
    posting from my own phone so, might have something written wrong.

While edge doesn't use sub-pixel rendering, it has a grey-scale smoother that has the same objective while isn't as effective.

Edit - Better text separation and some more things below:

This is what clear-type does:

Here the difference with it off and on:

Another one showing the actual screen instead:
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-07-30 at 08:25 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    A question:

What's the point of 4k 15" screen?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Supposedly extension support will be coming in the future but who knows when that it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    A question:

What's the point of 4k 15" screen?
    Same as 720p, 1080p or 1440p Phone displays. They're all way more dense than the average monitor.

I said 4K as an example, but:

The Surface Pro 3 has a 2160x1440 12 inch display.
    The Del XPS13 has a 3200x1800 15 inch display.
    Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro has a 3200x1800 13.3 inch display. Same story with the Yoga 3.
    Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus has a 3200x1800 15 inch display as well.
    Apple has a Macbook with a 2560x1600 13 inch display.

And then you have Toshiba with a 3840x2160 15.6 inch display at the P50T. Which is literally a UHD 15.6 inch display.

You ask me what's the point? Try going back to a 320x240 smartphone. That's the point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Supposedly extension support will be coming in the future but who knows when that it.
    They gave us a vague answer "before the next year".

15+ Year Old Account
    From what I have heard, it is kinda like a browser for like a mobile browser. Can't right click links and copy address and such.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    From what I have heard, it is kinda like a browser for like a mobile browser. Can't right click links and copy address and such.
    The right-click menu seems limited, but you can definitely copy links.

10+ Year Old Account
    It lacks some options, like "Paste and go" or "search google".

Potential is the word that comes to mind. If it had extension support I'd probably be using it. I can't stand ads so I'll have to wait until they add extension support. Which I read they will be doing.

It's better than explorer. It seems as quick as chrome even without adblock etc. but I block ads for more than speed so it isn't making me switch from chrome any time soon.

It is a huge step in the right direction tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have good eyesight cleartype always looks like a pretentious attempt at smoothing and will always look blurry, you can't tell me what I see.

You can't argue that with a higher DPI screen cleartype makes fonts appear smooth, they will appear smoother and crisper anyway.

Going to repeat the obvious and mention the dire need for extensions. The UI tops the competition IMO. The performance is great until I open up an ad littered page.

Going to add in another needed fix for Edge, the top border bezel (or w/e it's technically called). The tabs leave no space available for me to click and drag the window. If you are filled with tabs, you're forced to click on the top-right area in order to drag.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    If you have good eyesight cleartype always looks like a pretentious attempt at smoothing and will always look blurry, you can't tell me what I see.

You can't argue that with a higher DPI screen cleartype makes fonts appear smooth, they will appear smoother and crisper anyway.
    Edge is DPI aware and doesn't use cleartype. And it is crisper and smoother than any Win32 browser regardless of cleartype or whatever at high DPI displays for this exact same reason, it's DPI aware and can render itself correctly instead of using workarounds. But even if they looked exactly the same, modern apps are still fairly superior when it comes to rendering themselves at different DPIs.

What you have to do with Win32 things at high DPI display to make them not look obnoxiously small is setting windows to scale them bigger at the display settings, but that's inconsistent.

This is a Yoga 2 desktop without scaling
    There's no way to actually use it, everything is just too tiny. And you have to increase the scaling:

Here a glorious example of windows shit scaling in action:

There are things that get scaled and things that simply don't:

Moving to modern apps, which were made with this in mind from the start, is a nice choice since they were never able to fix Win32 and high DPI behavior completely.

From my experience FF looks sharper than anything else at normal monitors, sharpen than Chrome which should also use CT but I'm not sure what makes them render text slightly different. Might have something to do with it using Directwrite but I don't know. And yes, if I look at Chrome I agree with you about it being blurry, but FF is better for some reason.

Edge greyscale anti-aliasing isn't bad, it's the same thing used at all modern apps, and honestly speaking I'd be surprised if many people can noticed the difference if they don't swap between browsers constantly.

Edit:
    Here is the difference at my computer, keep in mind that it obviously doesn't look like that at the screen since the image can't reproduce subpixel behavior, but it's good enough to spot how differently it's done.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-07-31 at 12:40 PM.

I really like it. The UI looks very nice and I've been using it for two days now. Some small issues here and there, but it desperately needs extension support, which is possibly gonna become available later down the road. Once all the small issues are fixed, and extensions are up, it's gonna be amazing. I even use the "Ask Cortana" option and she's been very helpful so far!
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"