10+ Year Old Account

Rift causes constant disconnects with Windows 10?

My boyfriend and I decided to dig this one back out and derp around in it for a bit. I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday, and I've had no problems until now. Whenever I open Rift, I can stay connected a maximum of 10 minutes before I disconnect. Now, the weird thing is...it looks like my -entire- internet connection goes out. Except that everyone else in the house is fine. I can access the internet on other devices while my Windows 10 PC says it has no internet connection. If I reboot the computer, I have internet connection again...at least until I try to connect to Rift. This doesn't happen with any of the other games I play, including FFXIV.

I can't figure out what the issue is. This is so weird. :| Any suggestions?
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

15+ Year Old Account
    the problem is these games just are not ready for windows 10, but the devs are working on trying to get the game to work correctly with windows 10 as quickly as possible. there is a thread on the official rift forums in tech support about windows 10 and rift may want to browse that and see because other people probably are having the same issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post
    the problem is these games just are not ready for windows 10, but the devs are working on trying to get the game to work correctly with windows 10 as quickly as possible. there is a thread on the official rift forums in tech support about windows 10 and rift may want to browse that and see because other people probably are having the same issue.
    I did, I found a similar error but the posts weren't clear enough for me to be able to tell if they're having the exact problem I am. The error in question is basically the glyph launcher going, "I don't have internet connection! Halp!" In my case, my entire internet connection appears to be dropping, but it's only for my device and no other devices in the house are experiencing this. When I reboot, internet connection is back and just fine.

I just had it happen when I tried to download an updated version of my Anti virus software. Same thing - download started, internet connection suddenly didn't exist. So I'm thinking it's a Windows 10 thing, not a Rift thing. I'm seeing scattered reports of WiFi simply not working on Windows 10, or constantly dropping connection (similar to my issue), but I'm on a wired connection. So the whole thing is weird. :|
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a rule when it comes to new operating systems: never use them.

They are always buggy as fuck for a while and I'd definitely not recommend using a new OS if you're a gamer. I remember the windows 8 fiasco where it would jerk your mouse cursor around and half my raid couldn't play properly...

No idea what else to tell you but wait for an update

10+ Year Old Account
    Was it an upgrade from Win7/8.1 to Win 10? or did you do an upgrade and then do a clean install?

If a clean install you might need to reinstall DirectX 9.0c files but seeing as you can run Rift before the Net goes it's prob not that, i know there's issues with Windows Update automatically installing Drivers and there's no real way to stop it without using a tool from Microsoft to uninstall the driver then run that tool to prevent it updating said driver again

The culprit was an Nvidia Graphics Driver, the one from Windows Update caused a lot of issues and you had to clean that out and manually install 353.62 WHQL manually.

Now, all the above probably has nothing to do with your issue, you never said are you using wi-fi or are you connected to the Net by cable? just typing 'windows 10 wi-fi dropping connection' into Google brings back a lot of posts about people having the same issue, might be something as simple as a Network driver needs updating for Win 10 but if you're not on wi-fi? not sure what's going on

Also somebody mentioned Glyph, you will need to run Glyph as Administrator, Win 10 seems a bit more 'twitchy' when it comes to user permissions

Right-click on your Glyph shortcut, go to the end 'properties' then go to the 'compatability' tab, near the end tick the box 'run this program as an Administrator' click apply and exit.
    Last edited by Slipmat; 2015-08-01 at 10:04 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    I have a rule when it comes to new operating systems: never use them.

They are always buggy as fuck for a while and I'd definitely not recommend using a new OS if you're a gamer. I remember the windows 8 fiasco where it would jerk your mouse cursor around and half my raid couldn't play properly...

No idea what else to tell you but wait for an update
    windows 10 is designed with gaming in mind i think. so lets be honest, once a lot of the issues are solved and the game dev companies upgrade their games to work with win 10, then win 10 will be the best choice of windows for gaming.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sorry this isn't a helpful suggestion, but I seriously wish Trion would just nix the whole "glyph" thing.. I wish you the best getting it to work though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the ideas guys. I still haven't found a solution. But, I will say that when I'm able to run the games, they do look a lot smoother on Windows 10 than they did on Windows 7.

@Slipmat: I did a straight upgrade. I went from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post
    windows 10 is designed with gaming in mind i think. so lets be honest, once a lot of the issues are solved and the game dev companies upgrade their games to work with win 10, then win 10 will be the best choice of windows for gaming.
    It's not so much an update from MS, the OS works wonders and I have only had good experiences so far. There will be devs though that are a bit behind and possibly haven't worked out or completely tested compatibility for Windows 10.

Lazuli is right in that waiting does help. I will simply accept the possibility of some issue or another and work around it or simply reinstall Win 8. Your're not a fool for trying something new, only if you expect it to go 100% error free.