Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Your average condo starts at ~400K

http://www.zillow.com/seattle-wa/home-values/
    Yeah but condos are for rich fuckers with too much money. >_>

my friend growing up had one. and also always got to go on vacations and get the newest thing. so much jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    the entire complaint seems based on the idea that anyone that made less than you is "lazy" and "doesn't deserve it" and "now there's no reason to work for my pay". Uh.. how about the same reason before? It does not affect you, in the slightest, if Joe makes as much as you. Nor does it prevent you from getting merit raises or higher annual reviews if you work hard. ALL it does is make the minimum not as shitty as it was ($30k in Seattle? Who are they kidding?).
    Not lazy; different capabilities.

If you have someone that has the education, experience and skillset to make a company $100k in revenue a year, and does, and you have another employee that makes a company, with their education, experience and skillset to make the company $40k in revenue a year, and does, why would you pay them the same?

And in that situation, where the employee's know that everyone is being paid the same regardless of performance, and they know that competitor will pay based on performance, your high performers will leave, regardless if they are "doing fine" based on the publics perceptions of that persons lifestyle.
    Last edited by Raeph; 2015-08-01 at 10:19 PM.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

I can understand the thought process-- not quitting in 'protest' or whatever, but the feelings behind their complaint.

A similar situation happened to me. I was working at a gas station for about a year and a half. I'd gotten some tiny 15 cent/hour raise at some point in that time. Then, the state decided to raise the minimum wage to something above mine (up by like 50 cents or something). Instead of adding the additional raise to my wage, I was just boosted up to the new minimum.

I felt slighted because all the new hires now made the same wage I did, even though I had 'earned' a raise and was an experienced employee. It sucks to have your accomplishments taken away regardless of how little they were. I didn't quit over it, and I certainly wasn't upset that the minimum wage was raised... but... you know... it would have been nice to have been given that extra 15 cents. Monetarily it didn't really mean anything, but it certainly hurt my willingness to continue to work at the level I had been.

Seems to me the company is better off without these people, clearly they have no interest in the growth and safety of the company.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but condos are for rich fuckers with too much money. >_>

my friend growing up had one. and also always got to go on vacations and get the newest thing. so much jealous.
    Condos are just apartments that you don't pay a monthly rent.

It's like buying a house, except it isn't an actual house. Houses start at ~700K ish for something that isn't a shack with a single bathroom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let them quit...... it's a non-issue...
    For everyone who quits because they're butthurt, two others stand ready to take over their job place.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Raeph View Post
    Not lazy; different capabilities.

If you have someone that has the education, experience and skillset to make a company $100k in revenue a year, and does, and you have another employee that makes a company, with their education, experience and skillset to make the company $40k in revenue a year, and does, why would you pay them the same?

And in that situation, where the employee's know that everyone is being paid the same regardless of performance, and they know that competitor will pay based on performance, your high performers will leave, regardless if the are "doing fine" based on the publics perceptions of that persons lifestyle.
    Except here's the big kicker..

the only people affected are people already making crap wage. it's ALSO a three-year program, which means the people making $70k now? Aren't going to be making $70k when it comes into effect unless they are, in fact, the ones with the "different capabilities". The wage bump for this year is (from the example in the article) $9k. Also, again, it DOES NOT mean that people anywhere on the spectrum can't get a raise above $70k, or get a raise period.

So yeah, you can separate your wages based on merit. But being in a low-paying job and quitting because someone else gets bumped to a wage that's actually liveable because you don't feel they deserve it is a bit psychotic.

The high performers will raise higher than the $70k minimum before it even hits. The ones that don't will bitch and moan that the "undeserving" people that "just clock in and out" are making the same as them. That's not a problem with a higher minimum wage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your average condo starts at ~400K

http://www.zillow.com/seattle-wa/home-values/
    http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...=Seattle%2C+WA

The average squaremeter price is the same as in Helsinki, Finland. And 70k is about double the average salary in Helsinki.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Condos are just apartments that you don't pay a monthly rent.

It's like buying a house, except it isn't an actual house. Houses start at ~700K ish for something that isn't a shack with a single bathroom.
    Aren't most condos one, maybe two rooms?

Might have also just been where I was at, they were all more fancy hotel suites than anything you'd care to live in long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Let them quit...... it's a non-issue...
    For everyone who quits because they're butthurt, two others stand ready to take over their job place.
    Yes two others will come in...but that isnt the issue, the issue will become experience. As another posted stated, if I as a prospective employee have a choice between a company that provides a path for advancement vs a company that decides that everyone should be paid the same regardless of ability, I will choose the path that provides advancement EVEN IF THAT PATH PAYS LESS.

Being recognized for your value is much more important to me than the dollar amount I make. If my employer doesnt give a crap about my value, then why should I work there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I heard about this on the news, some of his customers left, he got new accounts to replace them but then he had to hire more people at $70K to handle the new accounts, his long time partner quit and is now suing. lol. No good deed goes unpunished I guess. Now he might lose the company.

Also his oldest and most prized employees quit because they were already making $70K and didn't get a raise. lol. So he lost all that experience.
    Not really the cause of the "minimum wage" increase itself, but because of brainwashed corporate fascist shills doing what they have been programmed to do...

But I digress..

Aren't most condos one, maybe two rooms?

Might have also just been where I was at, they were all more fancy hotel suites than anything you'd care to live in long-term.
    Condo is not a real definitive term. You can have a 20 room condo, you can have a 1 room condo. It's just one building with subunits that are individually owned.

Deleted
    Of course, men might get jobs, so we can't bring those back.
    Truth is stranger than fiction, Ms. Vanyali.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seattle Real Estate: 2 bdrm Low -> High listing

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...A/beds-2/sby-1

Starts at 80k for apt. and 165k for single family home
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    This debate always amuses me because people are fighting over scraps. Bring our jobs back from China and India etc and you will have more social mobility.

But for some inexplicable reason, you are probably against that, right Vany?
    Bringing back the factories from China is going to make your vacuum cleaner in the store cost 100% more at the same quality level (same materials, same technology).
    Provided you dont get a salary increase, how is your wallet going to handle the massive increase of commodity prices?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Condo is not a real definitive term. You can have a 20 room condo, you can have a 1 room condo. It's just one building with subunits that are individually owned.
    I see!

Makes sense. Most people that had 'em in my town used them as a place to maybe stay overnight, mayybee two days at most, so you could have a 5min walk to the beach and come back to an indoor pool.

Quote Originally Posted by bladebarrier View Post
    Bringing back the factories from China is going to make your vacuum cleaner in the store cost 100% more at the same quality level (same materials, same technology).
    Provided you dont get a salary increase, how is your wallet going to handle the massive increase of commodity prices?
    He's saying there would have to be a salary increase because the competition for workers would increase. I'm not saying I agree, but that's what he's implying.

This is the exact same mentality that leads a lot of people on this very forum to argue that LFR should drop shitty loot because filthy casuals don't deserve good rewards.

People often value what they have not on its own merit, but in relation to what other people have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bladebarrier View Post
    Whatever it takes to make the west more self-sufficient is a small price to pay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...=Seattle%2C+WA

The average squaremeter price is the same as in Helsinki, Finland. And 70k is about double the average salary in Helsinki.
    Financial status isn't the same as Finland though. We have to pay for all medical stuff, insurance is really expensive etc. etc.

Housing can be the same, but if there are additional costs it comes out differently.