Rubber Noctua nff12 pegs

I bought this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

It came with metal screws and these weird rubber anti-vibration mounts:

http://www.technogog.com/wp-content/...13/02/noc7.jpg

I've tried and tried and I cannot get the rubber mounts to actually go all the way into the holes. There are no screw holes so I can't use those. Notice how the pegs get wider halfway up toward the flat top part. I can't get them to go in past that. They just don't fit in this fan. They came with it so I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong, but I applied enough force on them that I felt like I was going to break my fan. What do I do?

They are pain to put on, how to get them on though.. you just got to pull hard on the thinner end, where the problem comes though is when you are mounting them in a hard to access place and your hand just doesn't fit there to pull the mount through.. I pretty much gave up on them and just use screws nowdays.

But how are you going to use the rubber mounts if there are no screw holes?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    A better question is how he can miss the screw holes as he's completely incorrect. Every mobo has mounting holes for the heatsink.
    Not sure you understood my question or you just didn't read my post. I never said I was having issues attaching a fan to my motherboard. This is a case fan, it's not attached to the motherboard. The case has screw holes, the fan does not. The fan has holes for the rubber mounts but they are not screw holes. They are smooth, non-riveted holes. The instructions clearly show that I am supposed to put the mounts through the four holes that are the typical holes you'd put screws in (as is the case in my old fan) but they are not for screws.

https://www.megekko.nl/productpdf/00376133-manual.pdf

Notice the four holes, one on each corner. The mounts fit into them til I get halfway through, and you're supposed to put them there. My problem is, regardless of the amount of force, the mounts that came with this fan will not fit into those holes. I fear that I am going to break the fan applying too much force and I want to know if it's typical for you to have difficulty like this ramming those rubber mounts into the fan holes.

Look:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...tempfanpic.png

Notice the four holes. They do not fit screws, they are smooth and for the rubber mounts. This fan does not have screw holes.
    Last edited by Silver Forte; 2015-08-02 at 12:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah! I finally get it.

Fans don't normally come with the holes the way you think they should be, just put the screws there and force them rotating clockwise. They'll easily go through creating the mold needed to fixate them in place.

Edit: The material is made this way so you can use whatever screws you want. Jut rotate until you're done doing the mold.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-08-02 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Fans don't normally come with the holes the way you think they should be, just put the screws there and force them rotating clockwise. They'll easily go through creating the mold needed to fixate them in place.
    Indeed the screws need to be bigger than the holes, because the screws need to grip to the plastic, basically making the threads as you screw them in. Just don't over tighten them you might dig the threads up and then you just can't mount the fan with screws anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post

Notice the four holes, one on each corner. The mounts fit into them til I get halfway through, and you're supposed to put them there. My problem is, regardless of the amount of force, the mounts that came with this fan will not fit into those holes. I fear that I am going to break the fan applying too much force and I want to know if it's typical for you to have difficulty like this ramming those rubber mounts into the fan holes.
    You just got to pull hard on the tip of the mount once you've passed it though everything it needs to go through, but at the same time push the fan tightly against the mounting surface, hence stretching the rubber mount making it thinner and letting it pass though the fan hole. And once it snaps though it grips the fan pretty firmly. You can try it before mounting it to the case, by just pulling the mount with your dominant hand while applying pressure to the fan at the corner you are pulling the mount through.

I see, so the error was on my end. I can either continue to force the rubber grips or... tear the mold by forcing in the metal screws? That's so odd, guess I have a lot to learn. Thanks guys, big help!

10+ Year Old Account
    Make the molds before putting the fan at it's place, just like green said.

I use a pair of needle-nose pliers to pull those rubber mounting things through the mounting holes. You need to apply a quite excessive amount of force to get the silicone rubber to break.