a few in depth boomkin questions

I have been trying to figure out how to improve my dps but i am terrible at reading logs and I apparently cant post my logs until i have posted a few times in forums myself.

1. Dot'ing- i pretty much always refresh my dots at the last second of a peak buff. I refresh during every solar and every other lunar. Should buff/procs change the way i refresh dots? and how so?

2. Lunar Empowerment- I nearly always cast a starsurge just before exiting lunar so that when it comes back around I have two lunar empowerments waiting for me. When it comes back around I normally cast wrath until my two empowered starfires will be at 100. This means I have 1-2 wraths that land on the Lunar side. Is that correct? Or is it better to start casting an empowered starfire even if it means one might land around 60-70 lunar? I hope this question makes sense.

3. For some reason my aoe is terrible. I'm embarrassed to even say that lol. I'm not sure if its because my guild has a ton of aoe or if im just bad. We have two warriors, two enhance shams, an ele sham, two booms, 2 dk's, a spriest, etc... seems like we burst aoe stuff down so fast that my starfall doesnt get much time. Regardless, can someone explain in detail how to best aoe. so many fights are aoe right now that i feel like I'm holding my guild back some by under-performing.

Thank you so much for your time. Once I'm able to I will post some logs. Scrubkin from Greymane. guild is caleld "All the Single Ladies" ... if you want to look them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubkin View Post
    2. Lunar Empowerment- I nearly always cast a starsurge just before exiting lunar so that when it comes back around I have two lunar empowerments waiting for me. When it comes back around I normally cast wrath until my two empowered starfires will be at 100. This means I have 1-2 wraths that land on the Lunar side. Is that correct? Or is it better to start casting an empowered starfire even if it means one might land around 60-70 lunar? I hope this question makes sense.
    Ideally, you want to be starsurging when ENTERING an eclipse, and re-applying DoTs when LEAVING an eclipse.

Deleted
    3. For some reason my aoe is terrible. I'm embarrassed to even say that lol. I'm not sure if its because my guild has a ton of aoe or if im just bad. We have two warriors, two enhance shams, an ele sham, two booms, 2 dk's, a spriest, etc... seems like we burst aoe stuff down so fast that my starfall doesnt get much time. Regardless, can someone explain in detail how to best aoe. so many fights are aoe right now that i feel like I'm holding my guild back some by under-performing.
    Don't worry too much about your aoe with those classes/specs in your raid. While boomkin has decent burst with all cooldowns, adds generally don't have enough health for you to do any real damage compared to others, especially in normal or heroic, and spells like bladestorm have so much more aoe value than what you can achieve. The strength of boomkin aoe is consistent damage no matter if adds are stacked up or spread out. Think of Council where you can keep dots rolling on 3 targets while melee is pretty much forced to cleave only 2, or xhul'horac when voidfiends can be all over the place but they'll still be in range for dots/starfall.

Thanks a lot for the responses.

You should always think about how long your dots are going to stay on tagets before you decide to actually use them, if adds aren't spread using sunfire for anything other than refreshing it on groups seems like a waste in aoe situations, moonfire on targets that live for 15 seconds seems like a waste aswell.
    Also consider priority targets, if there is an add that needs to be bursted down, consider casting spells at that target rather than spending time to do useless dps on aoe targets that are better solved by other classes.

Our speciality lies in spread range decay (with CA steroids.), utilize it, our aoe outside of this is starfall, sunfire, which doesn't really hold up to other classes with serious aoe burst. Don't be afraid to cast starfire/wrath instead of dotting up targets that won't die within 15 sec, and every time you cast a sunfire think wheter or not it is actually worth a gcd, chances are if you are only hitting one random add, it isn't. Moonfire, is it going to tick for 24-30 sec at least, or will the target die way before that. It all boils down to is *insert spell* worth to cast at this target over hard casting starfire/wrath on priority target.

Quote Originally Posted by theburned View Post
    You should always think about how long your dots are going to stay on tagets before you decide to actually use them, if adds aren't spread using sunfire for anything other than refreshing it on groups seems like a waste in aoe situations, moonfire on targets that live for 15 seconds seems like a waste aswell.
    Also consider priority targets, if there is an add that needs to be bursted down, consider casting spells at that target rather than spending time to do useless dps on aoe targets that are better solved by other classes.

Our speciality lies in spread range decay (with CA steroids.), utilize it, our aoe outside of this is starfall, sunfire, which doesn't really hold up to other classes with serious aoe burst. Don't be afraid to cast starfire/wrath instead of dotting up targets that won't die within 15 sec, and every time you cast a sunfire think wheter or not it is actually worth a gcd, chances are if you are only hitting one random add, it isn't. Moonfire, is it going to tick for 24-30 sec at least, or will the target die way before that. It all boils down to is *insert spell* worth to cast at this target over hard casting starfire/wrath on priority target.
    Great tip. Thanks a lot.

A big part of your problem is that you're using prophecy of fear. Replace that with DSI as soon as possible. Prophecy is completely worthless for boomkin

10+ Year Old Account
    You should focus on getting as many empowered Starfires as possible during lunar. idealy leaving solar you want your first starfire to hit when at about 50% lunar and then cast starfire, by doing so you get two starfires at 98-100. Dont cast wrath during Lunar, Im not sure if Im doing it completely right (sure as not underperforming tho) but I cast A LOT of starfires. on singletarget its close to 40% of my damage.

as someone else said, try to refresh dots as you're leaving an eclipse, you'll see it lines up very well. Only the first impactdmg is increased by eclipse state.

I have been trying to figure out how to improve my dps but i am terrible at reading logs and I apparently cant post my logs until i have posted a few times in forums myself.

1. Dot'ing- i pretty much always refresh my dots at the last second of a peak buff. I refresh during every solar and every other lunar. Should buff/procs change the way i refresh dots? and how so?

Thank you so much for your time. Once I'm able to I will post some logs. Scrubkin from Greymane. guild is caleld "All the Single Ladies" ... if you want to look them up.
    Unless you're at 3 charges you shouldn't cast a starsurge during the downswing (leaving an eclipse). Assuming you have an SS charge ready to go, you should try and use your SS charge around 50-60% into your eclipse so that your empowered casts are as close to 100 as possible. This is the IDEAL situation and more times than not, depending on movement will not always be able to happen, but that's just the general rule.

As far as DoT refreshing is concerned, personally i try and benefit as much from Lunar/Solar Peaks as possible, thanks to using Euphoria our DoT's usually line up in a way that refreshing them along with the Peak bonus is fairly easy. the only time i refresh a DoT on the down swing is if it is going to have less than 8 seconds left in duration before i leave the eclipse (as it takes 8 seconds to make it back to refresh). If i'm about to leave an eclipse and my DoT is at 9 seconds, i usually just leave it and refresh it on the way back.

As far as AoE goes, there really aren't many fights this tier that cater to our "sustained" type of AoE, everything is just quick short bursts, which is what we are the WORST at. If i'm in Lunar eclipse i just act like the adds don't even exist. If i'm in solar and the adds will leave for roughly 6-10 seconds, ill usually sunfire cleave them and then Hurricane (yeah....I have hurricane on my bar). This is 100% situational though, with the 3 deciding factors being, the time to live for the adds, how many their are, how detrimental it is to the raid if the adds to not die in a timely manner. Example being, i find myself casting hurricane alot on Mythic Mannoroth for the imps because if they live for more than 12 seconds they do an arcane explosion and 1 shot the raid. My damage may be minimal compared to every other class, but in situations like that, even though it is an overall damage loss, it's better than them blowing up at 5% HP because i decided not to help. I also hurricane during kormrok during grasping hand phase if i'm in solar.

TL'DR boomkins suck at HFC AoE...but we cleave very well with SoC, which is beneficial for most HFC fights.
    Last edited by Skyepic; 2015-08-05 at 04:52 PM.

You guys have any tips for Iron Reaver and Kilrogg fights? My DPS is 40K+ single target every other boss but on these two, I'm always around 28K-35K. I don't DOT the bombs in Iron Reaver and I also don't DOT the adds in Kilrogg because they all die in like 6-8s so I just Starsurge + nuke them but I'm always lowest or second lowest on the meters on these 2 bosses.

- - - Updated - - -

moonfire on targets that live for 15 seconds seems like a waste aswell
    Moonfire, is it going to tick for 24-30 sec at least, or will the target die way before that
    Wait, so I shouldn't be using Moonfire on those Hellfire Assault adds? I'm doing around 50K on that fight but your two points above made me think if I could do more by NOT using Moonfire and just Sunfire on clumps of adds + starfall + nukes...

Can someone tell me what the optimal opener currently is? I keep reading different forums and guides and it seems there is a lot of differing opinions.

Currently I have been popping Inc and pot at 3 sec. Then a starfire followed by ca, dots, ss, and two starfires etc. Is this correct or is it way off? Thanks for the help

No, they scale dynamically with everything. Ignore procs with regard to DoTs.

Can someone tell me what the optimal opener currently is? I keep reading different forums and guides and it seems there is a lot of differing opinions.

Currently I have been popping Inc and pot at 3 sec. Then a starfire followed by ca, dots, ss, and two starfires etc. Is this correct or is it way off? Thanks for the help
    Nvm, found the thread on this