Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    why would you tip for deliver?

Even if you go for tipping, surely its for service above and beyond? The basic minimum is for the package to be delivered on time and in good condition. How can a driver improve on that to deserve a tip?

My job makes the customers pay a delivary charge of 3 bucks but we only get a dollar out of that for 3 or 4 runs and those runs will sometimes take an hour. I'm happy with a tip of 5 dollars or more. Even though we get paid hourly we really do work for tips since we don't get that many hours

Why would I tip them? They get paid by their job.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Zero. Thankfully, the tipping culture is almost non-existent here.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fast and great service? 10.00
    Late and bad service? 4.00
    You cared enough to post.

Nothing, I pay online and I don't carry cash. Besides, they make more money than the people in the supermarket and I don't tip them either.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

As a delivery driver I get about 10% when everything is said and done. This includes the money I get from the Delivery Charge. Where I'm at, we have a $2.50 DC and drivers at my store get $1 of the $2.50 unless there are multiple deliveries going to the same address. It's used to compensate gas expenses.

We also make $5.25 / hr while on the road and $7.25 / hr while standing around in the store (we usually do dishes while we wait).

For a rough breakdown....
    Large orders usually give me right around 10%
    Poor part of town usually gives me less than 10%
    Better part of town with orders around $20 usually give a $5 tip

#murica where legitimate jobs get paid like shit.

In England you'd never dream off tipping a delivery guy basically because they earn a decent wage.

We also make $5.25 / hr while on the road and $7.25 / hr while standing around in the store (we usually do dishes while we wait).
    Thank god thats illegal here, we get paid same on the road as in the store.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually tip $5 because I live on the edge of town. I have tipped like $3 a few times, on occasion I got the "this it?" look. Though most of the time I get the omg thank you look either way.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Really? another thread about tipping?

15% if you're feeling cheap
    20% if you're a normal person
    More if you're awesome.
    For a delivery driver... Really...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    Fast and great service? 10.00
    Late and bad service? 4.00
    Why would you tip for bad service?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Why would you tip for bad service?
    People here have bleeding hearts.

Honestly nobody should tip. They're legally required to get minimum wage if their reported tips don't meet at least minimum wage. And the rules will never change unless we STOP tipping.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

I give a bit more then whatever gas is priced in my area. So 2.99... I usually just tip 5.00. I know most of the places that deliver to my house aren't very far from where I live. But I also know places like Dominos or Pizza Hut will do multiple deliveries per driver. So... I tip a bit more. 5 dollars on a 17 dollar bill is pretty good, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait you tip delivery drivers in the US....well that explains the rather annoyed driver when I visited Florida...

I delivered pizza for 7 years. I usually considered $3 to be an acceptable tip, anything less was kinda cheap. My average was typically higher though, more in the $4 - $5 range. Many people tipped more, some tipped less or nothing. Delivering was good money for what it was, with some caveats: Wear and tear on my vehicle and the risks involved in being a delivery driver. The latter is the primary reason to give your driver a decent tip. I did not expect most people to really spend time making such an analysis, they just wanted their noms quickly, accurately, with as little hassle as possible.

As for how much to tip, beyond a minimum amount such as $3 or $4, consider your distance from the store, size of your order, and weather conditions. You don't have to spend 10 minutes thinking about it, just give it a moment's consideration. Tips during snowstorms were often abysmal. Why? Only the assholes would make someone risk their safety to deliver them food. Tips during rainstorms were sometimes awesome. Why? People who were going to order anyway still order, they just add an extra dollar out of consideration.

I would not worry about percentages unless you are ordering $500 worth of food (I once got tipped nothing on such an order). You don't need to tip $10 on your $50 order. That said, really good tippers get better service and vice-versa with people who consistently stiff. If I have three deliveries, and I know one always tips $5 and the other nothing, you know who is getting delivered first and who last. This is obviously only relevant if you order enough that the drivers know you. But if you order semi-frequently and tip well or tip nothing, I guarantee that the drivers know you.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Wait you tip delivery drivers in the US....well that explains the rather annoyed driver when I visited Florida...
    No people in florida suck at driving. I live here, trust me they suck.

When I retire I'm going to be that asshole who retires to work at the DMV just so I can stop morons from getting licenses.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    I give a bit more then whatever gas is priced in my area. So 2.99... I usually just tip 5.00. I know most of the places that deliver to my house aren't very far from where I live. But I also know places like Dominos or Pizza Hut will do multiple deliveries per driver. So... I tip a bit more. 5 dollars on a 17 dollar bill is pretty good, imo.
    More deliveries means more houses more tips.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nietz View Post
    I delivered pizza for 7 years. I usually considered $3 to be an acceptable tip, anything less was kinda cheap. My average was typically higher though, more in the $4 - $5 range. Many people tipped more, some tipped less or nothing. Delivering was good money for what it was, with some caveats: Wear and tear on my vehicle and the risks involved in being a delivery driver. The latter is the primary reason to give your driver a decent tip. I did not expect most people to really spend time making such an analysis, they just wanted their noms quickly, accurately, with as little hassle as possible.

As for how much to tip, beyond a minimum amount such as $3 or $4, consider your distance from the store, size of your order, and weather conditions. You don't have to spend 10 minutes thinking about it, just give it a moment's consideration. Tips during snowstorms were often abysmal. Why? Only the assholes would make someone risk their safety to deliver them food. Tips during rainstorms were sometimes awesome. Why? People who were going to order anyway still order, they just add an extra dollar out of consideration.

I would not worry about percentages unless you are ordering $500 worth of food (I once got tipped nothing on such an order). You don't need to tip $10 on your $50 order. That said, really good tippers get better service and vice-versa with people who consistently stiff. If I have three deliveries, and I know one always tips $5 and the other nothing, you know who is getting delivered first and who last. This is obviously only relevant if you order enough that the drivers know you. But if you order semi-frequently and tip well or tip nothing, I guarantee that the drivers know you.
    That seems rather stupid to me, what if the guy who tips the least has a better flowing route if you get to him earlier?

Why is 3 or 4 the minimum amount?

I really don't understand people tipping drivers like waiters...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    Don't the major chains like Dominos or Pizza Hut provide transport for the delivery driver where you are? They always turn up on branded scooters or in company vans where I've had deliveries, and it's normally only the non-chain Chinese or Indian restaurants where the delivery driver uses a "normal" car or bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleuria View Post
    #murica where legitimate jobs get paid like shit.

In England you'd never dream off tipping a delivery guy basically because they earn a decent wage.
    But since tipping IS a big thing here our hourly rate then becomes just part of the total compensation. I can assure you, while my base pay rate was a dollar or two below minimum wage my actual take home was well above. I made damn good money while I delivered.

"but but but, if you were paid a better hourly rate you wouldn't have to rely on tips"

Who cares? It's a 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Yeah sure tips are not assured and we can have some pretty bad nights, but the average always worked out for me. I always made AT LEAST double minimum wage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Don't the major chains like Dominos or Pizza Hut provide transport for the delivery driver where you are? They always turn up on branded scooters or in company vans where I've had deliveries, and it's normally only the non-chain Chinese or Indian restaurants where the delivery driver uses a "normal" car or bike.
    Not typically no. I can't speak for all of the different chains, but MOST of the Domino's (at least) are independent franchises. The only stores that have transportation for the drivers are some of the very few corporate stores.
    Last edited by poser765; 2015-08-02 at 12:01 PM.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!