Deleted

Laptop crashes due to High CPU usage?

Hey, i have a Laptop thats been crashing, sometimes it doesnt get to windows, other times its when i start doing something like clicking an image on chrome.

Before the crashes occured i had some Temperature problems and installed Speedfan to monitor that. SpeedFan also has a CPU usage Bar and thats what i am thinking is the problem.

I think my CPU usage is so high its crashing my laptop. Is this possible?

I experienced it 2 times while SF was open as soon as i went to Chrome it rose up the bar, then i clicked an executable and Boom it crashed the 2 times.

What exactly do you mean by crashing? Just powering down on the spot or something else?

CPU's are designed to run at 100% load at stock speeds and are very rarely faulty. Most of the times there are problems relating to CPU load even on desktop it's due to a problem in cooling and/or power delivery, not the CPU itself giving errors

many laptops are underbuilt and can't handle sustained 100% loads even when they're clean of dust, in some cases you will see some that power down when load is applied because they had bad temperatures in the first place and then they got a few years of dust in them. You can easily see CPU temperatures anyway and should judge using cpu core temperatures, not how hot the laptop itself feels

could be way off because "crashing" is very unspecific
    Last edited by Svisalith; 2015-08-02 at 11:25 AM.

Deleted
    Yes it powers down on the spot, when i had the temperature problems i cleaned it up(there wasnt much to clean) but still it got slightly better. every parameter from speedfan is around 60 degrees when doing nothing. When i click on CHrome it rises to 70s, when playing WoW (for example) it goes to the 90s.

Mind you this was before the crashings occured. Now i dont even have time to start anything, it just powers down which makes me question if the temperature is the problem...

How bout' cleaning the laptop? Dissasembly it, clean it, change thermal paste and put it back together...
    Fractal Design R5 |MSI Z87-G45 | i5 4690k @4.6Ghz | Noctua NH-D15 | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 | MSI 980ti G6 |
    XFX 850W | WD Black 1TB | Samsung Evo 850 1TB | Samsung Evo 850 250GB SSD x 2 | Intel 180GB SSD | Rog Swift

Deleted
    The Laptop is clean and still has some thermal paste.

applying thermal paste properly can actually be very important, you need to clean and reapply it after removing heatsinks etc

Deleted
    do you really think it is a temperature problem even if it powers down after 2 mins of starting the laptop?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmond View Post
    do you really think it is a temperature problem even if it powers down after 2 mins of starting the laptop?
    Yes, an easy way to find this out is using HWMonitor and check the CPU temp. If it's over 80C then something is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Garmond View Post
    The Laptop is clean and still has some thermal paste.
    Still has some? You didn't clean it and put new thermal paste?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Still has some? You didn't clean it and put new thermal paste?
    I Cleaned the dust it had, did not apply paste has it still had paste around.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright ye its temperature, CPU temp spikes above 70s degrees sometimes it even shows 100 degrees. Guess i will try to apply some paste soon.

Thank you for the help everyone.