Why no dual wield BM?

If Blizzard were dead set on a melee hunter spec why did they choose to go with 2handed survival over dual wielding axes as Beast Mastery, like Rexxar? 2 hander just feels so wrong. I can't even think of a single hunter in lore that fights with a massive stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Deleted
    This is awful. Imo they need to change BM to be the melee spec, it makes more sense. How can a spec that is about traps and surviving make more sense as a melee than a spec that fits in with lore (Rexxar) and fights with it's beast controlling them? It's absolutely ludicrous. MASSIVE mistake by Blizz. Contemplating rerolling, ngl.

This isn't entirely true. They have a 2H Polearm (it's called The Eagle Spear), which does make sense imo. Hunters use spears. Only in WoW would they not, although they had them back in WotLK and earlier.

I'm glad you aren't a class designer.

Survival originally had the melee abilites, it's also the spec the suffers most from being out of place.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    Get over the stupid rexxar thing ffs. I swear everyday I read the same 3 people complaining on why bm isnt melee instead of survival. Just because of one freakin lore character happened to have a pet and melee weapons doesnt mean they should build a spec around it. Seriously every thread its the same freaking post with the same example of rexxar. Get over it, be happy they are changing the state of hunters next expansion and stop crying. The 3 different identities of the specs makes sense on paper, lets see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Survival originally had the melee abilites, it's also the spec the suffers most from being out of place.
    Yep. There used to be various melee abilities (Wing Clip, Raptor Strike, probably a bunch that I forgot) and they were all part of the survival tree, with survival talents that modified them.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Quote Originally Posted by Kissthebaby View Post
    angry teenage rage
    Why should I be told by you, or anyone else, what I find fun? I don't want to fight with a slow 2 hander. If you do, good for you. But don't spread aids in a thread because you don't like the topic.
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a lore-junkie, I can relate to the wish of having BM be the "Beast Master" spec as per Rexxar.

However, as a common sense-junkie, I can see that Survival feels like a "forced" third spec, as long as it's ranged, just like the Devs were talking about with the Demon Hunter on why it only has one DPS and one Tank spec. Making it into a melee spec that uses the old abilities like Raptor Strike, Mongoose Bite, and Wing Clip, is the only way to give it its own unique identity.

I, for one, am giddy with anticipation to try it.
    I make videos of SimCity mainly, but am open to suggestions; check me out!

YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheArcan...?feature=guide
    Twitter - https://twitter.com/TheArcaneBagel

Quote Originally Posted by theArcaneBagel View Post
    As a lore-junkie, I can relate to the wish of having BM be the "Beast Master" spec as per Rexxar.

However, as a common sense-junkie, I can see that Survival feels like a "forced" third spec, as long as it's ranged, just like the Devs were talking about with the Demon Hunter on why it only has one DPS and one Tank spec. Making it into a melee spec that uses the old abilities like Raptor Strike, Mongoose Bite, and Wing Clip, is the only way to give it its own unique identity.

I, for one, am giddy with anticipation to try it.
    I'm still looking forward to it. But I just feel that if there was ever going to be a melee hunter it would have been dual wield rather than a slow 2hander. Just feels clunky to me. They may prove me wrong though with some amazing mechanics, let's see.

Deleted
    Having SV be the meelee spec makes sense. If BM was the meelee spec then we would do shit dmg and our pet would be the big thing , now we can wreck face and have the pet there just to back us up. love it

I gotta agree with some of the other posters, Survival definitely seems like the odd man out spec when it comes to hunters. I like that I can AFK while my beast wrecks face as BM...

Quote Originally Posted by Fourthchester United View Post
    Why should I be told by you, or anyone else, what I find fun? I don't want to fight with a slow 2 hander. If you do, good for you. But don't spread aids in a thread because you don't like the topic.
    Fighting with a 2h doesn't have to be slow. Look at unholy DK's, their combat is far from it and they use a 2h. I like the idea of a melee hunter spec - The idea of an 'explosive/serpent/raptor strike' all sounds some-what appealing to just smack into an enemy, though honestly i've no idea how it'll work.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why should we be told by you something YOU find shit?

I do want to fight with a 2H survival Hunter.

I just hope they bring back some familiar abilities with the sv melee spec (counterattack for pvp!) Also tbh if I could choose a dual wield spec I would want blizz to add 1h pistols and give Marksmanship a gunslinger style feel just my opinion but would probably feel out of place in WoW.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2015-08-08 at 03:30 AM.

I am on board for melee survival. I have played MM almost exclusively since Late vanilla. Vanilla was the last time I liked Survival. Why? Because in vanilla survival had all the stuff that allowed you to do stuff in melee while you broke out of the dead zone to cast shots and aa.

It also makes sense. If you are going to be using traps to lure prey in and keep it in place, why then would you waste consumable(irl) ammo to shoot it when you can just get safely close to it and poke it with a spear.

Why waste a ton of poison in multiple arrow heads when you can poison one spear tip and poison more than one target with it. Why risk shooting your faithful companion who is eating your enemies face with a badly aimed arrow, when you can instead safely stab them in the back while you friend has them thoroughly busy at the front.

The flavor is just so much more cool now. I might actually play survival when this happens. This is how I have always played rangers in D&D/Pathfinder as a flank buddy with my animal companion.

Also the spear is only for Legion as it is the ancient weapon. Hunters can RIGHT NOW equip every weapon type in the game accept for 1h and 2h maces and wands(No really log in and do it!). So leveling hunters from level 10-100 as survival will be using something other than a polearm, and after legion when we won't be using artifacts anymore Survival will Be using all manner of weapons I am sure since there is no reason to remove from an established arsenal.

I could say a lot more on the matter but this is my opinion on the matter.

Would a DW BM melee/throw spec be cool? Absolutely but BM already has great flavor and with MM losing pets and Surv going melee BM will hopefully be able to be as fun and cool as it was in older days like BC since it won't have to share it's tricks anymore.

Get over the stupid rexxar thing ffs. I swear everyday I read the same 3 people complaining on why bm isnt melee instead of survival. Just because of one freakin lore character happened to have a pet and melee weapons doesnt mean they should build a spec around it. Seriously every thread its the same freaking post with the same example of rexxar. Get over it, be happy they are changing the state of hunters next expansion and stop crying. The 3 different identities of the specs makes sense on paper, lets see how it plays out.
    Chill the fuck out, dude. They are just having a discussion, if anyone is crying it's you...

Get over the stupid rexxar thing ffs. /snip/ The 3 different identities of the specs makes sense on paper, lets see how it plays out.
    Thank you.

Seriously, rexxar was half ogre. Because he had *faithful* companions doesn't make him the center of a beast mastery specialization. He didn't use exotic pets etc, if you read TCG cards on the owner of the hunting spear (huln highmountain?) he was a melee Hunter who would give reach. A pet shouldn't make you a beast master.
    So sick of the "rexxar had pets = beast master".
    Hell if anything I would consider rexxar a master tracker. He liked to live amongst the wilds.. Maybe he was a master survivalist ?

If Blizzard were dead set on a melee hunter spec why did they choose to go with 2handed survival over dual wielding axes as Beast Mastery, like Rexxar? 2 hander just feels so wrong. I can't even think of a single hunter in lore that fights with a massive stick.
    I think we got way too many dual-wielding agility melee fighters. Rogues, Monks, Enhancement Shamans... Monks can use 2h but DW usually stays ahead in DPS, so it's rare to have a WW 2H monk. I'm not sure we can could the druid since he stays in cat form all the time and doesn't technically 'use' the weapon. Hunters 2H would give some diversity to the agility-melee characters.