Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

This expansion announcement is the most important one ever

I think this is going to be a make or break expansion for a lot of the players of this game. For the most part I think people just stuck around through ups and downs but after WoD's end game (Facebook game) and the 6.1 patch, a lot of that loyalty from the playerbase has been broken down.

Thursday, this is going to be the most important expansion announcement in the history of World of Warcraft and it's going to dictate whether this game can win back loyalty or make the decision to go to FF14 or GW2 much easier.

Yeah, its going to have to be huge this time. Something fans have wanted for a long time coming. If its just another orc themed expansion or the 2nd half of WoD then I don't even know what to say.

If they do demon hunters and bring back Illidan, I might consider leaving the game. I'm sick of them pandering. They pandered when they made easy content. They pandered when they made gear so easy to get. They pandered when they made leveling a joke. Pandering for the sake of subs is what killed the game.

I still get this sneaking suspicion that the next expansion will be AU Azeroth....I hope im wrong, but....

I agree, WoD was a disaster and if this expansion isn't at least decent then WoW is basically going to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, this is my feeling as well. The problem is, they will most likely promise lots of stuff, then cut back the most interesting of them before the release.
    This being said, we'll be able to figure out quite a lot of stuff hopefully. Especially whether they're still planning on the "raid or die" content model.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    If they do demon hunters and bring back Illidan, I might consider leaving the game. I'm sick of them pandering. They pandered when they made easy content. They pandered when they made gear so easy to get. They pandered when they made leveling a joke. Pandering for the sake of subs is what killed the game.
    You're speaking of pandering in terms of accessibility.

They never pandered in terms of lore/classes. No one ever asked for Cataclysm, MoP or WoD. After Wrath I only ever heard people ask for Demon Hunters, Azshara, Old Gods, Tirisfal and South Seas.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they choose to do a Wrath of the Lich King 2.0, they're pretty much through. Of course, subscriptions will spike at the beginning due to nostalgia, but ultimately the numbers will sink. See: WoD being hyped as BC 2.0.

Deleted
    just give me old orgrimmar back and im happy!

Like ive always said....Demon Hunters seem too specific for a class, but if Blizz just puts them in because people want them....then it'll show me just how lazy Blizz is....and what kind of effort i can expect from the next expansion.

I'm very sure we said the same thing about WoD's announcement.

To be realistic though, without the pandering WoW might have been a better game, but nowhere near as many subscribers that is has now. The only reason why WoW has been able to survive for over 10 years in the first place is because it's adapted to changing gaming trends. Unfortunately WoD came at a time when idle clickers and mobile grindfest games were popular.
    You just lost The Game

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    You're speaking of pandering in terms of accessibility.

They never pandered in terms of lore/classes. No one ever asked for Cataclysm, MoP or WoD. After Wrath I only ever heard people ask for Demon Hunters, Azshara, Old Gods, Tirisfal and South Seas.
    That's the point. If they suddenly go "amg we need subs, let's try bringing back Illidan and giving demon hunters" then it's pandering. And no that's not accessibility. That's called dumbing the game down on the things I listed. It was making it so someone's inbred brother Cletus could play the game even though he really is not the target for the game.

I'm sure they'll also be taking into consideration what impact this will have at the box office for their upcoming movie. Some jaded fans might not even bother to go see it and will probably end up just pirating it.

I think they are just going to have shorter expansions now. I wouldn't be surprised if this one coming up only has three raid tiers as well. Blizzard seems to have been losing a lot of their bigger name people and are currently hiring on their page. Personally, I think something is up and that something is going to effect what we get from the game for awhile in a negative way.
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    To be realistic though, without the pandering WoW might have been a better game, but nowhere near as many subscribers that is has now. The only reason why WoW has been able to survive for over 10 years in the first place is because it's adapted to changing gaming trends. Unfortunately WoD came at a time when idle clickers and mobile grindfest games were popular.
    What has more subscribers done for the game? Everyone acts like adding all the terrible players that have come to the game made the game better. The game was good when there were less subscribers and got worse after there were more. They lured people in and then said people demanded the bar be brought to them and nothing really amazing that couldn't have happened without them happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    But if they do stuff the way you like it is ok, right? So, in other words... 'pandering' is only bad when it's not you they're pandering to?
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I agree 10 year player here... Never dreaded logging into WoW like I do now EVER...

Warlock always and forever, Necromancer otherwise
    It is better to be feared than it is to be loved, if you cannot have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangshang View Post
    I think they are just going to have shorter expansions now. I wouldn't be surprised if this one coming up only has three raid tiers as well. Blizzard seems to have been losing a lot of their bigger name people and are currently hiring on their page. Personally, I think something is up and that something is going to effect what we get from the game for awhile in a negative way.
    We only had 2 raid tiers this time. I don't know what the as well part was. Highmaul and BRF were the same raid tier just like MSV, HoF, and ToES were all the same raid tier. MSV was open at the start and then the others just like this time. There were TWO raid tiers in WoD. You got duped by their tactics.

I took a hiatus for the first time after playing for 7 years for the past 4 months. I logged in last weekend and logged off shortly after. Perhaps I'm getting burnt out, but I want to enjoy the game again. Hopefully next expansion will bring something fun along with it.