Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How come Americans are so prominent when it comes to "Let's playing"?

Hey,

Just curious to know if someone knows. I've checked A LOT of LP channels on Youtube and almost every time it's an US channel. I should clarify that by "Let's playing" I don't mean people like PDP. I mean those who LP acual console/PC games. I just got thinking about it and found it odd.

Because kids here in the Americas are losing interest in the 99% of crap shows being shown on television, and being gamers themselves they find more enjoyment out of LP's the likes of Gopher. I suppose it's just that many of that demographic has either become LPers themselves or older gamers from the 70s and 80s who dreamed of being able to make money off of playing Super Mario Bros. are now realizing they can do it in this economic depression.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because USA is #1

Quote Originally Posted by Gunvor View Post
    Hey,

Just curious to know if someone knows. I've checked A LOT of LP channels on Youtube and almost every time it's an US channel. I should clarify that by "Let's playing" I don't mean people like PDP. I mean those who LP acual console/PC games. I just got thinking about it and found it odd.
    Funny, currently my favorite "Let's Play" guy is a fellow called Christopher Odd who is from Toronto.

Anyway, if I was to hazard a guess I'd say it's because consoles are huge in America - though I don't have better worldwide numbers - if you know what you're doing it's pretty easy to monetize and figure out your self-employment taxes, youtube and google are American companies and in much of the country we have a very good infrastructure.

Some of my favorite LPers and and twitch streamers are Canadian or from a European country.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Affixiation View Post
    Because USA is #1
    I should have seen this coming But seriously, the US population is what... 315 million or something? While that's a lot of people, Europe does have a LARGE combined population as well. You almost never see a scandinavian let's player for example.

I should have seen this coming But seriously, the US population is what... 315 million or something? While that's a lot of people, Europe does have a LARGE combined population as well. You almost never see a scandinavian let's player for example.
    Gopher from Scandanvia and his 300k+ subscribers (For Steve!) would like to have a word with you...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Eternal View Post
    Because kids here in the Americas are losing interest in the 99% of crap shows being shown on television
    Not just kids. I canceled my Direct TV subscription because there's nothing on that interests me and I don't feel like paying them for the few things I might watch. And the Let's Plays are way more entertaining than what's on T.V.

10+ Year Old Account
    For whatever reason, the US has always dominated western culture. Singers and rapper from the US are known around the world and many foreign artists endeavor to make it big in America. Although I honestly don't know why that is.

Also, size really has nothing to do with influence. Just look at Japan.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Firstly, English is kinda an universal language to communicate with the rest of the world, hence it is the official language of these forums. When it come to audio commentary, i like the person hosting the playthrough to speak and articulate proper english.

i, for instance, am french. While fluent in english, my speaking skills are plagued with a french accent, in way that i could never be a succesful streamer if it was something i would want to do. I could do it in my own language, which would limit drastically my audience to the point it would be difficult to make a living. That's why i think people whose english is their native language have an inherent advantage. USA, UK (such as totalbiscuit), canada (quill18) to name a few.

that being said, pewdiepie is swedish i believe, but he doesn't have a thick accent though.
    Last edited by Vankrys; 2015-08-02 at 11:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I had to take a guess, 1 is English being pretty widely spoken, also youtube were a lot of this started is big in the U.S

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably has something to do with English being a universal language, sort of.

Also probably has to do with the amount of exposure people in the states get from T.V, Movies and the like. All that exposure towards entertainment seems to breed some rather unique individuals. Not to downplay the rest of the world. It just seems American media/entertainment has a far reach.

If I make a let's play it would sound weird because I have an accent that is not American, so it wouldn't be watched very much.

10+ Year Old Account
    because as much as people on the right and left would like to think, life in the us is pretty good compared to most places in the world. youd probably see more canadians if there was more of us in general doing lets plays.
    3ds fc 0576 4895 9192
    ice safari with snorunt sneasel and lapras

pm me if you add me!

10+ Year Old Account
    idk, there are some in my country, i just hate them tho, they produce quite a big pile of dooky, thank god they play on one of the worst gw2 servers =P
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the US have more native English speakers than all other countries combined. And, since "Let's play" is an English sentence, well... Most people from non-English speaking countries do "Let's play"s in their first language, and sometimes they even write the phrase "Let's play" itself in their language, so it doesn't show up in the results of your search.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to see this being a thing in other countries too. I'd love to make a LP Channel, but it will never work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draganid View Post
    because as much as people on the right and left would like to think, life in the us is pretty good compared to most places in the world. youd probably see more canadians if there was more of us in general doing lets plays.
    a lot of Canadian youtubers though. Same difference IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find let's plays to be boring as hell. The only time I ever watch them is if I'm stuck in a game and I need to see a video of how to get past where I am. But to watch the whole thing? Hell no. I'd rather play the actual game than watch someone play it. Maybe like a quick 3-5 min video but I know there are some that go up to like an hour long and people actually watch the whole thing like some kind of TV show. Hey but if that's your thing though, whatever floats your boat.

I do like those funny fail videos though like what Rooster Teeth does where the game will have some sort of bug or glitch. I enjoy watching those.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2015-08-03 at 06:54 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    I'd like to see this being a thing in other countries too. I'd love to make a LP Channel, but it will never work.
    I've been dreaming of making a "Let's play" channel for some time, but I honestly do not see it working for myself. First, I cannot talk straight for 1-2 hours without getting terribly tired and losing my voice. Second, the commitment of doing it nearly every day for people to keep watching me will probably make me enjoy the process less. Finally, there are so many popular LP channels nowadays that, to really compete with them, I would have to radiate a unique personality, someone people will remember after listening to or watching, someone like Day9 or boogie - I don't think I am that kind of person.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.