Deleted

Advice on upgrading GPU

I'd like to upgrade my graphics card but I'm a complete noob when it comes to hardware, so would appreciate any advice:

CPU: Intel i7-3770k
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V
    RAM: 8GB
    PSU: G7 Modular 750W

GPU I want to replace: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB (about 3 years old at this point, the other parts are only 1 year old).

I'm looking for GPU options that won't requiring me changing my other parts ideally although if necessary I can change my motherboard too but it'll give me less money to play with on the GPU.

I don't have an exact budget but I'd like to get something that's currently at a good value, and will be good for AA games on a high setting (I don't need to go crazy ultra or anything), for example, Witcher 3, GTA5, Fallout 4. I have played both Witcher 3 and GTA5 with this existing setup but had to turn a lot of things to low and still got fairly poor performance which made me sad.
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2015-08-03 at 11:57 AM.

What power supply do you have, it will determine what GPU you can use in your pc much more then the rest of the info you provided.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    What power supply do you have, it will determine what GPU you can use in your pc much more then the rest of the info you provided.
    G7 Modular 750W, I'll edit it into the OP.

You did not state what resolution your monitors are. Assuming 1080p since it's the most common, depending on budget a GTX960/GTX970/R9 390 are porbably your best bets.

The GTX 960 will run nearly all modern games at 1080p with High-Ultra settings. With some games, settings will either need to be turned down or deal with slightly sib-60FPS, especially in the next few years. It's still a really solid card for the price though.

The GTX970 and R9 390 will both handle 1080p well for quite some time. If you are planning on 1440p or 4K then the 390 starts to pull ahead at stock clocks, but the 970 OCs better and also runs cooler. Hard to go wrong with either one really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You did not state what resolution your monitors are. Assuming 1080p since it's the most common, depending on budget a GTX960/GTX970/R9 390 are porbably your best bets.

The GTX 960 will run nearly all modern games at 1080p with High-Ultra settings. With some games, settings will either need to be turned down or deal with slightly sib-60FPS, especially in the next few years. It's still a really solid card for the price though.

The GTX970 and R9 390 will both handle 1080p well for quite some time. If you are planning on 1440p or 4K then the 390 starts to pull ahead at stock clocks, but the 970 OCs better and also runs cooler. Hard to go wrong with either one really.
    Oh gosh, I really am not that big on specs of things but I have two of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008L5OGKQ "AOC I2757FM 27 inch Widescreen IPS LED Multimedia Monitor (Mobile High-Definition Link, i-Menu, e-Saver, Screen+, 1920x1080, 5ms, 2 x HDMI)" which I assume is 1080p.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'd go with the Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card as it will serve your needs well. The card has nice passive cooling and runs fanless when not under load, is slightly OC'd compared to reference 970s, but it is a bigger card, so may want to make sure it fits in your case (not listed).
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Oh gosh, I really am not that big on specs of things but I have two of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008L5OGKQ "AOC I2757FM 27 inch Widescreen IPS LED Multimedia Monitor (Mobile High-Definition Link, i-Menu, e-Saver, Screen+, 1920x1080, 5ms, 2 x HDMI)" which I assume is 1080p.
    Yeah, that's 1080p. So it really depends on how much you want to spend. For under $200 you can get a GTX 960 and be fine at 1080p with possibly some settigns turned down or just spring for the $320-350 R9 390 since you probably don't want to OC a 970 yourself. Either is a solid choice.

I'd definitely go for one of the GTX 970 variants as well, the Asus STRIX is a good version but it might be worth seeing if there's any 970s with a good deal around you, as the difference is not that big.

Quote Originally Posted by Abradix View Post
    I'd definitely go for one of the GTX 970 variants as well, the Asus STRIX is a good version but it might be worth seeing if there's any 970s with a good deal around you, as the difference is not that big.
    If you are not going to go with custom cooling and a heavy OC why pay more for a 970 when you can get a R9 390 that performs about the same at 1080p and better at 1440p and 4K? Keep in mind, this is coming from me who is a self admitted nVidia Fanboi. The R9 390 is just better value currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    If you are not going to go with custom cooling and a heavy OC why pay more for a 970 when you can get a R9 390 that performs about the same at 1080p and better at 1440p and 4K? Keep in mind, this is coming from me who is a self admitted nVidia Fanboi. The R9 390 is just better value currently.
    Eh? Prices are about the same on the R9 390 and GTX 970. I can grab the EVGA Superclocked ACX 2.0 for 319.00 right now.. which is about the same price as the R9 390's out there.

4k isnt even worth talking about (neither card will deliver playable framerates at high settings), so it really comes down to... do you want to game at 1440p and is the ~10% performance difference (usually equating to 3-4fps) between the two at 1440p really going to bother you?

Either is a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Eh? Prices are about the same on the R9 390 and GTX 970. I can grab the EVGA Superclocked ACX 2.0 for 319.00 right now.. which is about the same price as the R9 390's out there.

4k isnt even worth talking about (neither card will deliver playable framerates at high settings), so it really comes down to... do you want to game at 1440p and is the ~10% performance difference (usually equating to 3-4fps) between the two at 1440p really going to bother you?

Either is a good choice.
    Just double checked, yeah, they are about the same price. I had it stuck in my head that the 970 was about $50 more. Must be thinking of a 290 or 290x though.