Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I never did get into Runescape. Didn't appeal to me. Pretty cool that it's still around though.

In case any new guy wonders what is Runescape... It's essentially the grindiest game ever with the most unique character progression from any MMORPG.

At the moment there are 2 versions of the game; Oldschool Runescape and Runescape 3. Latter being the original game with user data spanning from over 10 years ago. However the Oldschool version is a recently(3 years..?) re-booted version of the 2007 version of the game(think of it like Blizz doing TBC servers), which actually is neck-in-neck in popularity with the main game at the moment.

OT: Still play both OSRS and RS3, started playing sometime in 2003 or 2004(very early rs2 days). Still enjoying both versions of the game with over 10k hours played.

10+ Year Old Account
    Might have to hop back in and mess around. RS was the only game that has ever managed to give me the same feeling WoW did when I first started playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    In case any new guy wonders what is Runescape... It's essentially the grindiest game ever with the most unique character progression from any MMORPG.
    wouldn't say most unique... it's just less restricted and the game doesn't balance exclusively for the cap.

It is cool how much of the combat stats still retain some passive defensive bonus against certain effects and then also nifty how "pure" characters could still be nasty at times by working out the right strategy. A lot of those old guides aren't as useful now with how combat changes have gone through over time (like weapons 'specs' going away at one point and most of those turning into skill based abilities and then coming back).

man I miss my poisoned dragon dagger =/

Deleted
    I'd argue in favor of RS having the most unique character progression. Can you even be a 'skiller' in any other modern MMO? Also the permanent-ness(?) of what you leveled without any kind of re-spec system was a huge thing. The questing was phenomenal because quests were not for leveling, but for rewards. Imagine WoW class quests back in vanilla, except there were hundreds, and some of them took legitimately days to complete, especially if you didn't use any online guides. I still remember doing The Temple of Iban with like 30 agility when the recommended was 50 and I kept failing the obstacles SO MANY TIMES.
    Last edited by mmocaa8b08b6ba; 2015-08-04 at 02:26 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I literally just started playing again on Sunday night aswell.

Currently farming Greater Demons and doing a few Clue Scrolls.

Managed to retrieve my original account as well so I have the 10year Veterans Cape. YEAAAHHH BOOIII.

personally love dungeoneering with friends. had 2 buds I'd drop in with and we all jumped into basic roles. I was the melee, friends took ranged and magic and we all had 80-95 in everything we needed to get going and acquire whatever mats we needed. I grew and fished up materials, someone else cooked and provided ammo and we'd take 20 minutes getting our equipment and consumables ready for when we threw down with a boss.

I wish more games did a 'dungeon' thing like daemonheim where you go in with nothing and work your way into something.

Gon tear up dem barrows son. Not played RS in around 9 years. Had a lvl 101, my first mmo. Checked to see if my char still existed- he doesn't. No fucking way am I going through all of that again. Despite its flaws, when it was good it was good. Castle wars with the barrows mage gear+ancient magic=a pile of corpses at my feet. The sense of danger you got when out questing could never be replicated in the likes of WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

I literally spent days in castle wars at a time. Days. I would not leave that place for days.

- - - Updated - - -

Does old school runescape still get updates?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Yeah, they're even developing unique content for it that was never in the main game.

Every single thing they implement is voted on by the community. http://services.runescape.com/m=poll/oldschool/index.ws

I really really wanted to get back into Runescape, I've tried so many times as I literally spent most of my childhood in that game. Unfortunately whenever I try booting RS3 it just feels so, "not Runescape" and I don't like it and whenever I boot OSRS I a) dread having to level everything again b) feel super sad about the graphics.
    Last edited by mmocccd4d485ac; 2015-08-04 at 12:35 PM.

I started when Runescape was brand new due to recommendations from friends in my mmo-mud type game. I gave up around the 3D model update because it honestly instantly lost its appeal to me when they changed it. I kinda preferred the shitty 2D sprites and stuff.

Still log on to RS3 from time to time, simply because i feel like the only "classic" thing about osrs is the graphics.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never returning to that and made sure of that by selling all my rares and items years ago that became worth billions for a couple of hundred euros.

Deleted
    It's incredible to once in a while read the zybez clan fights forums and see guys like Divine Forces, The, Clan Europe, Reign of Terror, Violent Resolution, Echo of Silence, Damage Inc., Final Ownage Elite, Team Brutality and The Last Pures still kicking ass after 10 years.

Still seldomly playing RS3 as paying sub with ingame gold is pretty cheap. I feel like the game has the most varying content of all MMOs with all minigames, quests and skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    I literally just started playing again on Sunday night aswell.

Currently farming Greater Demons and doing a few Clue Scrolls.

Managed to retrieve my original account as well so I have the 10year Veterans Cape. YEAAAHHH BOOIII.
    ha I need to see if I can get my old account I miss goood ole metroid

vondukes is my OSRS name

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Astralos View Post
    Still seldomly playing RS3 as paying sub with ingame gold is pretty cheap. I feel like the game has the most varying content of all MMOs with all minigames, quests and skills.
    Slayer IMO is the grind fest skill that intakes all of what makes other MMOs annoying and turns it into a skill... go kill 200 demons for me is content and quest lines in other MMOs, in Runescape its a skill.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I literally spent days in castle wars at a time. Days. I would not leave that place for days.

- - - Updated - - -

OSRS gets bosses and soon a new continent, Zeah.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not to rock the boat, but has anyone who thinks RS is so awesome tried playing Eldevin on Steam? To me it seems like a better Runescape than it ever was, but I never was big on it so idk. It's worth checking out if you like that type of MMO.
    BAD WOLF

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit.

I find this crazy to say, but Runescape (for members at least) has SO MUCH FUCKING CONTENT in it. To the point where I Open up like 5 different Menus that are just packed with different activities and my brain just freezes for a moment whilst I try to figure out what to do first.

My Friend bought me a Bond on it for 14days Members and my content went ballistic.

If it's gardening system is not on par or better than its garbage.

Ya there is alot of content in runescape and if you ever finish it all there are tons of fun mini games

Now that there is a client I might try it b again.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Runescape is, fundamentally, an awful and shitty game.

That said, it's a (somewhat) guilty pleasure of mine. I wish Jagex weren't a bunch of clowns and could do what needs to be done to the game to make it more playable and viable. It's just far, far too grindy for no reason and the game just suffers because of it and will continue to suffer until it eventually, well, dies.

I am not the kind of man to jump on a game and say IT'S GONNA DIE IT'S GONNA DIE, because that's immature and retarded, but Runescape (and Jagex) are legitimately dying. All Jagex seems to know how to do is invest millions of dollars into failed project after failed project and it's really too fucking bad, it really is.

Runescape is a quaint, quirky little game with a charming world and fun lore. It has the potential to be a legitimate MMO-lite, but it'll never be anything but an example of "what not to do" if Jagex doesn't do something fast.