Poll: Would you support a dictatorship that aligned with your views?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Question Would you support a dictatorship that aligned with your views?

Suppose a dictator came to power in your country, and you agreed with the dictator on all the issues, and this dictator had the capacity to make all your desires on these issues come true.

Assume they are not crazy/evil. They just believe very strongly in how the country should be run, and are willing to use force as a last resort.

Would you support the dictator? Or would you be against them because they are a dictator?
    Last edited by Only the Best; 2015-08-03 at 09:57 PM.

Well, even if the dictator and I agreed on most things, many people wouldn't agree with him. And then there would be revolution and I would be shot as a sympathizer.

So democracy is fine.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Well, even if the dictator and I agreed on most things, many people wouldn't agree with him. And then there would be revolution and I would be shot as a sympathizer.

So democracy is fine.
    But the dictator has the capacity to make all your desires on these issues come true. One of which would be a lack of revolution
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    If there was such a thing as a benevolent dictator that made every dream come true for everyone what would be the problem? It would be a time saver that we didn't have to go and vote every so often, the government would be stable and shit would get done in a timely manner. Less, nearly, pointless stuff I would have to think of. No problem really if everyone was cool with it.

That said if the dictator is great to me but a cruel and brutal ruler to many others it becomes a bit more iffy. As Hubcap said; I don't really fancy being hung or shot as a sympathizer when the revolution eventually comes.

Democracy is the worst system. But it's still better then all the other systems we have tried so far.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Nope. Because power changes hands from time to time. You don't want the framework in place to keep that system going.

Furthermore, just because I have my views on different issues doesn't mean I'm actually 100% right. Discussions and compromises have immense value in making the world work well.

10+ Year Old Account
    My view is liberty based voluntaryism, so there wouldn't be a dictator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basmothel
    Lacking ammo, the forum troll darts into the realm of personal insults and doomsaying; the most primitive means of gaining attention from its peers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyadore View Post
    You know something, none of us ruined the game. We make it better. And so do most of you.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk View Post
    My view is liberty based voluntaryism, so there wouldn't be a dictator.
    I feel like society would collapse (or at least be awful) based on voluntarism. No taxes? Means big businesses will be in charge of EVERYTHING (because without tax money, the government won't be able to pay for streets, utilities, post offices, etc.). Fees, licenses, restrictions, and advertising as far as the eye can see.

15+ Year Old Account
    In this perfect example, yes. In the real world, no.

No corruption, no idiotic delays and obstacles because of party rivalry, no deceit, optimization.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck yes. Anything I can do to help my daughter get ahead in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

I wouldn't support it because I recognize that people are different. It's fine, and probably somewhat healthy that not everyone has the same views in a society. I wouldn't want to live in a society where my shared views were in place by force at the expense of others.

Ya, I'd support that dictator. The first thing we'd agree on is that neither of us believes there should be a dictator.

Assume they are not crazy/evil. They just believe very strongly in how the country should be run, and are willing to use force as a last resort.
    That's not a dictatorship.

No, because the only person that would align with all my views would be me, and I don't support me being in charge. Too lazy for that kind of shit. And a dictator would support my lazy ass, by also being a lazy ass. You ponder my boggle yet?
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Deleted
    no
    Because a stoner dictator would soon forget he was a dictator and we would go back to being a democracy.

My views are largely for individualism, personal liberty, and power from the people.

Sooo... I guess?

I would absolutely support myself.

"Would you support a dictatorship that aligned with your views?"

Definitely not. Differing views are essential to finding solutions to problems. Anyone who said 'yes' is really not thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarion View Post
    "Would you support a dictatorship that aligned with your views?"

Definitely not. Differing views are essential to finding solutions to problems. Anyone who said 'yes' is really not thinking.
    Well, part of my 'yes' was that he'd agree we'd get rid of the dictatorship.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    The problem with a great dictator comes at the time of finding a successor since no man is eternal and most successors to great men tend to never measure up to their predecessors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

My views are extremely anti-authoritarian, so a dictator aligning with them would be a contradiction in terms.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.