Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    How do some of you even manage to upgrade a computer when you cant figure out what information is being told here.

The free windows upgrade is tied to your MOBO, if you change pcs you need to buy the windows 10 full license that you would normally have had to buy if they wernt giving it away for free.

Hasn't it been like that since Windows Vista (or maybe even XP)? When you register your Windows installation it's tied to your hardware (so that you don't use it for multiple PCs). What has changed here?
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    So say if you upgrade your entire computer would you have to buy another windows 10 even though you already bought one before?
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Hasn't it been like that since Windows Vista (or maybe even XP)? When you register your Windows installation it's tied to your hardware (so that you don't use it for multiple PCs). What has changed here?
    Absolutely nothing has changed. For whatever reason, someone latched on this tidbit as a reason not to upgrade and the media has been running with it. Even if you change motherboards, you're given the option to call a number and go through an automated process to reactivate the key for the new hardware.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    So say if you upgrade your entire computer would you have to buy another windows 10 even though you already bought one before?
    Just call Microsoft and you should be fine using the key you already own.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Quote Originally Posted by nebula View Post
    Absolutely nothing has changed. For whatever reason, someone latched on this tidbit as a reason not to upgrade and the media has been running with it. Even if you change motherboards, you're given the option to call a number and go through an automated process to reactivate the key for the new hardware.
    Ah alright so nothing wrong with windows 10 then besides the private info thing going on
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    What else do you need to know?

You might be wondering what happens if you upgrade your current PC to Windows 10 and then decide to build a new machine? Given that Windows 10 will be tied to your current machine, we don't imagine you'll be able to transfer the activation to another system.

How does that translate to smaller hardware changes? That remains a bit of a grey area, but we've changed the hard disk in one of our Windows 10 PCs and we've been able to carry out another clean install and activate without a problem. We suspect that bigger changes - a new motherboard, for example - may scupper the activation but we've yet to confirm that this is the case.

What if you're running Windows XP or Windows Vista? Sadly, you're out of luck - the free upgrade offer is only applicable to users of Windows of Windows 7 and Windows 8.

What if you've bought a retail copy of Windows 10? You can go straight to Step 3 and clean install using the product key that came with your software.

And then there's the big question: should you even bother upgrading to Windows 10? It is, in our estimation, shaping up to be the best Windows to date, however it's also unique in that this is the first Windows to be delivered as a service. What this means is that Windows is changing from a product that sees periodic major releases to one that's frequently being updated. As such, Windows 10 is never entirely finished, and at launch there are still bugs being squashed - there's already been a day-one patch weighing in at over 1GB.

Waiting for the quirks to be ironed out isn't the worst idea, and the free upgrade offer is currently scheduled to run until July 29, 2016, so there's really no hurry. And who knows, other, less-convoluted methods of clean installing may become available in that time.

taken from http://hexus.net/tech/features/softw...-10-usb-drive/

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well if they don't let me use my license again after a minor hardware change i will be pirating it
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Romire View Post
    http://imgur.com/gallery/8OJ4t

that sounds kinda screwed knowing you have to re buy a new license every time a hardware change happens
    Depends if you trust more a Customer Representative outsourced in India, probably hired for the launch 1 week ago, or a Microsoft MVP: http://imgur.com/gallery/YjnAD/new

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Wtf do you mean is this even legal. They are giving you a FREE upgrade, and your asking if its legal that if you change the pc you got the FREE upgrade on they require you to buy the full version.
    I do not own Win7 or 8. So I don't get a free Update.. If I pay 150€ for a license I expect the OS to run on 20 Devices if i wish, just not at once. The Microsoft Agent says if any part fails i should rebuy the license. This can't be right.

It seems it's just the free upgrade that is in question. Still kinda shady.
    answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-know-if-you-can-transfer-your-windows-10/4996f410-13fe-4073-b53a-347ac354d362?auth=1

Quote Originally Posted by sauoasch View Post
    I do not own Win7 or 8. So I don't get a free Update.. If I pay 150€ for a license I expect the OS to run on 20 Devices if i wish, just not at once. The Microsoft Agent says if any part fails i should rebuy the license. This can't be right.

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-know-if-you-can-transfer-your-windows-10/4996f410-13fe-4073-b53a-347ac354d362?auth=1
    With my W7, and 8.1 Keys, when I ran out, all I did was call Micro$oft, immediately asked for a manager so I don't have to deal with the read-from-the-book-trolls so I can actually get something done, and request addition renewals on my keys on my in-house systems with the excuse "I got a new harddrive."

If I can, just going to do the same with Windows 10. Though, I'll probably just have DreamSpark upgrade my Windows 8.1 to a Windows 10 Pro.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

It's just the Motherboard that's linked.You can change anything else just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by sauoasch View Post

You can expect a hooker as well, doesnt mean what you expect will happen.

I dunno, i heard it was the same way for Winders 7 and ive rebuilt my PC twice already. New mobo, ram, cpu, vgu...everything. Reinstalled windows and never had an issue. You can tell that was some outsourced tech. barely even understood what the guy was asking or what he was telling him.

Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    I dunno, i heard it was the same way for Winders 7 and ive rebuilt my PC twice already. New mobo, ram, cpu, vgu...everything. Reinstalled windows and never had an issue. You can tell that was some outsourced tech. barely even understood what the guy was asking or what he was telling him.
    Retail or OEM? Guessing Retail.

Reinstall Windows 7 on your new PC, upgrade it to 10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgenix View Post
    It won't matter how many times you tell people something, social media spreads misinformation like wildfire and the people that don't know what the truth is just run with it
    Yea but why does Microsoft work like this? You own Windows so why is it tied to a motherboard with OEM? This is something Microsoft started doing since Windows XP which was controversial. They generate a unique ID based on your PC hardware. Change too much hardware and you have to reactivate Windows through a phone call to Microsoft or online. And if you own a OEM copy of Windows then when you change the motherboard you're screwed.

People give me laptops they're going to throw out and I repair them. Usually the motherboard needs to be replaced and now I have something like 7 laptops. All running Linux Mint because I don't want to deal with the Windows license headache. Also I don't game on laptops, at least nothing like WoW. Though I could and do game on them just nothing that would make me hate playing with like WoW or Dark Souls. Simple games like Shovel Knight and Skulls of Shogun which runs natively on Linux.

For me and my desktop computers the Windows 10 upgrade is giving me headaches. On my gaming desktop if I leave FireFox running it will corrupt when I resume from standby. Drivers are an issue especially digitally signed drivers. Trying to fix a bricked HTC One and I need a driver for "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008". Don't know what they did with Windows 8 and 8.1 but in Windows 7 when I put the PC in test mode I no longer needed digitally signed drivers. Doesn't work like that in Windows 10 so I have to disable this before booting the PC. My HTPC sometimes doesn't output picture when I resume that from standby. Magic ISO won't work on Windows 10 at all, which is what I used to mount ISO images.

These aren't problems I have to deal with in Linux. The broken HTC One which btw needs a jtag, has drivers automatically loaded in Mint 17.2. I can leave FireFox running and resume the PC with no problems, and this is using open source drivers. Latest unstable open source drivers. Mint 17.2 has built in ISO image mount, though Windows 10 does too but if you installed MagicISO like I did then you have to follow these instructions. Don't like what Microsoft is doing then pressure companies like EA and Blizzard to bring their games over to Linux. Valve is doing a great job so far.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2015-08-04 at 03:25 PM.

I read this thread and think it's amateur hour with some of the posts. You can install all the new drivers your new motherboard will need and not have to reinstall the os. Yes it works the same way for windows 10.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/making-...e-motherboard/
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2015-08-04 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrgenix View Post
    Social Media at it's worst.

ANYONE that knows ANYTHING about computers knows that it is only tied to the motherboard, clearly the person who posted the pictures and the microsoft person talking to them know NOTHING about computers. This thread furthers the list of people who aren't familiar with how computers work. You can change your ram, graphics card, all your components outside the motherboard and not have to buy a copy of windows 10
    I find it funny that you say this and one of the top comments on the image was
    "I'm guessing that Microsoft hired a bunch of new tech support in anticipation of Windows 10, and they know as much as Jon Snow."

10+ Year Old Account
    you do not own windows you pay for a license and that license depending on which has certain terms, such as it being bound to hardware in oem case