Deleted

Help needed with upgrading old build.

Hey folks so I bought a pc a few years ago. Now im thinking of upgrading it either with a gtx 970 or a 980, still not sure.

The price/quality increase from the 970 to the 980 is kinda bad imo. the 980 costs around €579,- and the 970 around €379,- and the 100 million edition which is rumored to be made of better parts cost €400,-

so its about a 50% price increase and what a 10% increase in frame rates? So im still kinda indifferent about that.

Old build:

Cooler : NH-D14
    GPU : MSI N660Ti PE 2gd5/OC
    CPU : Intell i5-3570k
    power : ModXStream Pro 500W
    Board : Z77 Extreme4
    Ram : 8GB DDR3-1600 kit

link to latest pc build of the month:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/?page=8

So pretty much my question is if I were to upgrade my GPU (and meaby OC if I were to buy the 970 ) which other parts would I have to replace? I think the CPU might be a bottleneck but im not sure. Also Im wondering if my powersupply would be enough If I were to OC.

I know you guys know this stuff a lot better then I do, so thank you guys in advance.

Also I am looking for 2 new monitors in the €100-200 price range(each.) I checked the latest builds which gets posted on this site but the monitor in the unicorn build got some bad reviews because of a anti glare coating which effects the collors somehow, Dunno what to think of it. Probably there is a cheaper monitor out there what would do the trick.

link to monitor:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B005JN9310

Also im wondering why they used the asus gtx 970 in the unicorn build instead of the msi one. I read a few reviews and most of the time msi comes out on top.

Regard,

Mark

EDIT:

Total budget for upgrades is around €1200,- but I can increase that a bit if necessary.
    I would like to run the monitors at 1440p.

I live in the Netherlands so some parts are pretty pricy down here.

I want to play games like the witcher 3 (Best settings.), WoW, Batman, skyrim etc. Other then gaming I use my pc for college where I sometimes need to do some 3D modelling and video editting but thats pretty much it.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright so I went out there and tried to find myself some good monitors. I know that IPS is prefered over TN, 144hz over 60Hz and that gsync is nice. But finding a monitor that has all that is hard and they are expensive.

What can you guys recommend if I want monitors that are good for both FPS (BF4, CS:GO) and games like skyrim, witcher, WoW etc.

I found this one for example which seems to be quite good:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-XL2411Z...ch+LED+Monitor

But this one catched my eye, its more expensive but it looks to be a good one for its price.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-G2460PG-...HAI&ascsubtag=[site%7Cthauk[cat%7C[art%7C[pid%7CB00LBSZHAI[tid%7C14387183053096488[bbc%7CLEPRIX

Since im no expert what do you guys think?
    Last edited by mmocc29434e79e; 2015-08-04 at 01:32 PM.

The basics of your machine are fine. Cpu is still a great cpu. Just change the stock cooler to a decent air cooler or prewater filled cooler, and overclock it. Gpu wise take a look at the 390 amd card at the moment.

If you can get them cheap enough there a steel and better than a 970 when overclocked. Psu wise as crossfire or sli maybe in mind, Consider corsair psu or superflower maybe something like 850 watts+.

Monitor wise i am not that sure whats going really so i cant help too much on that front lol. I will assume all the big names like Acer Benq and asus are the brands to look out for. Gsync and freesync is the stuff look at also on monitors. Id probs if possible be looking at 2560 by 1440 resolution on monitors

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gooseuk View Post
    The basics of your machine are fine. Cpu is still a great cpu. Just change the stock cooler to a decent air cooler or prewater filled cooler, and overclock it. Gpu wise take a look at the 390 amd card at the moment.

If you can get them cheap enough there a steel and better than a 970 when overclocked. Psu wise as crossfire or sli maybe in mind, Consider corsair psu or superflower maybe something like 850 watts+.

Monitor wise i am not that sure whats going really so i cant help too much on that front lol. I will assume all the big names like Acer Benq and asus are the brands to look out for. Gsync and freesync is the stuff look at also on monitors. Id probs if possible be looking at 2560 by 1440 resolution on monitors
    Thanks for the reply,

Yea I already switched out the stock cpu cooler for the NH-14 Noctua which is still very good. Glad to hear I dont have to buy a new cpu just yet.
    But there are a lot of different opinions on the GPU cards some say the 970 is better when oc'd and others say the 390 is and that is pretty much the only factor im looking at since they are available to me for the exact same price.

Ill look into the PSU btw probably should increase the wattage.

Monitors witch G-sync, 1440p and 144hz and meaby even a IPS screen are way to pricy for me. Im looking for a monitor thats great for FPS games and stuff like skyrim, WoW, witcher 3 etc. Dont know what I should pick. Aaah decisions.. decisions xD

I would go with a 390 over a 970. Possibly even a 290.
    Why specifically do you want a 144Hz monitor?
    You mention that you play FPS games, but for games like Skyrim, Wow and Witcher, having a monitor that looks better will look better (no duh) than having a fast one.
    And I'd honestly say that few FPS games are fast enough to warrant a 144Hz (unless you find it unbearable to use 60Hz today) unless you're at the bleeding edge of competetive play.

At 1080p, the 390 and 970 are about equal in performance. At 1440p and 4K the 390 pulls ahead at stock. With mild OC the 970 pulls slightly ahead at 1080p and gets about even at 1440p, 4K shouldn't really be a concern for either of these cards. To OC the 970 to be much better you need to go with custom cooling. Even though I am typically an nVidia fanboy, the 390 is just a really good value.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I would go with a 390 over a 970. Possibly even a 290.
    Why specifically do you want a 144Hz monitor?
    You mention that you play FPS games, but for games like Skyrim, Wow and Witcher, having a monitor that looks better will look better (no duh) than having a fast one.
    And I'd honestly say that few FPS games are fast enough to warrant a 144Hz (unless you find it unbearable to use 60Hz today) unless you're at the bleeding edge of competetive play.
    Well I wanted a 144Hz monitor because I play FPS games like counterstrike, battlefied etc. But I also read that 144Hz can make the colors seem washed out.
    And since I also play WoW, Skyrim and Witcher 3 I might just go with a 60Hz monitor and try to find myself one with a ips screen and g-sync.

For the Graphic card a lot of you have suggested the AMD card, so I think im gonna stick to that one. One question though, if I would buy the 970 can I just run it in my current build without upgrading my PSU? Probably need a better PSU for the AMD card but not sure for the Nvidea one.

Asus among others is supposed to lauch a 144hz ips monitor with g-sync this fall so, that would give you speed and good colors (Asus PG279Q model)