Thread: New laptop

New laptop

Just killed my old laptop trying to pull it apart (there was a broken screw holding it together that I couldn't get around and when I tried to I wrecked my motherboard.

Can someone point me in the right direction of a laptop that I can get for cheap that will run wow (even at low settings) without being completely shit. Thanks heaps.

NOTE: I have a gaming rig at home the laptop is mostly just to mess around with the girlfriend on WoW or play for like an hour a day at uni. Doesn't need to be anything flash.

How much have you got to spend?

Because below £800 there is just a sea of disappointment. Not sure why that is exactly, but there's very little middle ground between expensive and shit.

Well, preferably as little as possible. My gaming pc at hoMe is a monster so the laptop would only be for uni work (I do IT so most of my uni work involves using office and surfing the Web, I just want wow to run even at low without a huge amount of fps lag on lfr would be great. My girlfriend would play it sometimes when she's over and I might play it at her house.

My last laptop was a toshiba qosmio x500/02G. I don't need something as flashe as that, as that was my main gaming pc when I bought it so that's why I splashed extra cash on it.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't bother with a high end laptop. You'll just end up throwing so much money that it's not worth it.
    Simply get something with an SSD, or fast HDD, fast CPU and enough memory. That's it.

Talking from Nvidia, any gpu from x10 to x30 will just not be enough, making the iGPU better. And you might be lucky finding one on discount with smething as a x40/50. But unless it's cheap, don't bother. Because anything with x60, x70 or even x80 will cost TOO much. And it will perform better, but we're talking about a double in price.

But yes. Since you're doing homework and school related stuff on it. Drop the GPU, get a fast CPU, i7 or i5. And an SSD. 8GB of rams. That's it.

X is the series number of the Nvidia GPU. Currently, if not mistaken, we're at 9. And the second number is simply the grade of the GPU. The higher, the better.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=31203

something like this? PS thats $AUD im aussie

I know it doesn't have an SSD but I can use the one from my last laptop as thats still a pretty decent samsung one i bought seperately

As far as I can tell for that price point this laptop seems really good, and nice size screen should suit well. The next step up goes upto like 1500-1600 $AUD I think am I doing something retarded? Last time I bought a laptop I literally just went down to jb hi fi and handed it over in cash with no research at all.
    Last edited by Oncereborn; 2015-08-04 at 11:45 PM.

The CPU on that will be fine. The GPU...

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Scroll down. It should run WoW (just), but it really will be low settings.

Thanks for the reply, Im changing my mind to the Lenovo Y-50-70 instead as I can get it for a pretty good price as part of their education promotion as I have a .edu email for uni.

Some of the features:

Processor
    Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor ( 2.50GHz 1600MHz 6MB)

Display Type
    15.6"FHD AntiGlare 1920x1080

Hard Drive
    256GB SSD

Memory
    8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600MHz

Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 960M (2GB)

I can get it for $1400AU including delivery, down from $2000AU. Seems overall a much better unit for only an extra $300, its a little more than I was hoping to spend but it also seems better specs wise than what I was probably going to get. Somewhat futureproof for a few years anyway in terms of being able to casually play WoW.