Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Holy Paladin (pure tank healer or beacon abuser) see discussion inside!

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. My friend and I were having a discussion about holy paladins. We both play them - but differently. Firstly - we all know that you have to be versatile when healing. Obviously you're not gonna ignore low health ppl. That aside which play style is considered correct at this point in time:

NOTE*: this is with HFC HC/MYTHIC progression in mind.

1. you ONLY heal tanks. When I mean heal tanks, I mean you totally ignore EVERYONE BUT TANKS, even if they are full HP because of our mastery. BECAUSE our job as a holy paladin, with our ABSORBS, and with the mana reduction thanks to beacon. WE ONLY HEAL TANKS NO MATTER WHAT, regardless of healer set up, even if you have a disc!!

2. you place your beacons on tanks and you effectively ignore them, holy light'ing, shocking and eternal flaming everything else in sight and letting your beacons do their job. OFC you ET & heal tanks directly when necessary but for throughput and efficiency we heal the rest of the raid primarily. Healers work together to keep tanks up via beacon, lb, shields etc etc

I personally am number 2 as I have just found it to overall give better results. I'm no expert - which is why I'm asking YOU lot. Are these playstyles entirely dependant on your stat priority and preference or is there more efficiency found in one over the other? THANKS <3

PLEASE BE KIND - BUT ALSO INFORMATIVE: I'm not looking to pick at my friend but he definitely thinks number 2 is the WRONG way to play and that number 1 is how holy paladins at the highest level DO and SHOULD. If you could provide a bit more input. He explains to me its because of the mastery mechanic - and I'm not really a holy paladin main. I feel it's kinda wrong but I am not "qualified" to even be listened to seriously <3
    Last edited by mmoc7ca19446df; 2015-08-04 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalraii View Post
    1. you ONLY heal tanks. When I mean heal tanks, I mean you totally ignore EVERYONE BUT TANKS, even if they are full HP because of our mastery. BECAUSE our job as a holy paladin, with our ABSORBS, and with the mana reduction thanks to beacon. WE ONLY HEAL TANKS NO MATTER WHAT, regardless of healer set up, even if you have a disc!!
    i refuse to believe anyone is stupid enough to think this is real

I think it is not hard to see the correct way to play is some combination of both direct healing tanks sometimes, and not direct healing tanks sometimes, depending on the situation :O
    Smitus of <Solace>, previously of <SNF>

Deleted
    Your friend needs to lay off whatever psychedelics he's taking.

Deleted
    Thanks for the fast replies - I'm not looking to pick at my friend but he definitely thinks number 2 is the WRONG way to play and that number 1 is how holy paladins at the highest level DO and SHOULD. If you could provide a bit more input. He explains to me its because of the mastery mechanic - and I'm not really a holy paladin main. I feel it's kinda wrong but I am not "qualified" to even be listened to seriously <3

Deleted
    Well, for starters, you could point out that he's objectively wrong about Holy Paladins playing that way at the top level. There's simply not a single log of a competent Holy Paladin who plays that way.

At the the top level, you play with tanks that aren't fucking retards and can stay alive for more than 2 seconds at a time without having a healer chain-casting on them. If you literally just chain-cast on the tanks, with competent players on your team, your overhealing would approach 100%. It's already 80-90% on Beacon when playing with a competent, non-warrior tank in most situations - and this is when playing correctly and effectively completely ignoring the tanks.

Your friend is simply wrong and is talking out of his ass with absolutely no solid evidence or experience as pertaining to his claims.

how you play paladin at highest level

1) acquire trinket
    2) beacon tank 1 and tank 2
    3) holy shock on CD
    4) holy light/flash of light after HS always
    5) win healing because the spec is dumb

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    how you play paladin at highest level

1) acquire trinket
    2) beacon tank 1 and tank 2
    3) holy shock on CD
    4) holy light/flash of light after HS always
    5) win healing because the spec is dumb
    The sodium content is approaching dangerous levels in this response.

Even back in Wrath paladins weren't just pure tank heals. If only one tank was going and someone needed a spot heal then a paladin could quickly toss one out and still heal the tank.

Sticking only to the tank is wrong unless they are absolutely getting hammered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    i refuse to believe anyone is stupid enough to think this is real
    Floopa you and I agree on something Holy Paladin related... this world may start self destructing any minute now...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mtvoelker View Post
    Lol there is a ton of salt but he's not far off. Mistweavers (fight permitting) can still outperform Paladins on some fights.
    Last edited by CloudedInSanity; 2015-08-05 at 05:12 PM.
    Feel the hatred of 1̶0̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ 10010 years.

Deleted
    Like I said guys - if I say something reasonable like "but what if the tank is 90%+ hp" ------ "YOU ONLY HEAL TANKS! THATS THE WAY OUR ABSORBS WORK, the absorbs are THAT STRONG!" Is the response I get. It's at the point now I can't be bothered to argue and since I'm not "qualified" I came here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalraii View Post
    Like I said guys - if I say something reasonable like "but what if the tank is 90%+ hp" ------ "YOU ONLY HEAL TANKS! THATS THE WAY OUR ABSORBS WORK, the absorbs are THAT STRONG!" Is the response I get. It's at the point now I can't be bothered to argue and since I'm not "qualified" I came here.
    He's completely, 100%, wrong. Nothing else to say, our absorbs are not that strong. You should inform him that Paladin's are the strongest spot healers in the game and him not spot healing the raid is causing them to die which is as much of his job as healing the tanks.
    Feel the hatred of 1̶0̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ 10010 years.

Link us his logs and progress. I guarantee you if all he's doing is tank healing he's gimping the raid and wasting a raid spot

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Astynax View Post
    Link us his logs and progress. I guarantee you if all he's doing is tank healing he's gimping the raid and wasting a raid spot
    This is the case

Strangely if you go with Number 1 you can actually have a higher output on high damage fights (like Butcher). This is because you can use just Flash of Light (no holy light). The mana refunded from casting on tanks and a decent set of gear with spirit allows you to just go on forever.

So on fights with high tank damage - if you direct heal tanks more and have all other healers focus raid - you end up with better numbers and can have higher output for longer.

Ultimately though, a middle ground between the two is best. And obviously its a complete waste when the tanks are not sustaining serious damage or other healers are also healing them.

Quote Originally Posted by furyau View Post
    So on fights with high tank damage - if you direct heal tanks more and have all other healers focus raid - you end up with better numbers and can have higher output for longer.
    Healing one of your beacons equals to higher output, got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M

Quote Originally Posted by scmeck View Post
    Healing one of your beacons equals to higher output, got it.
    Thanks for being so constructive and not reading anything I wrote....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mtvoelker View Post
    You obviously don't know the eternal hate Floopa has towards Holy Paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by furyau View Post
    Thanks for being so constructive and not reading anything I wrote....
    Name one scenario where healing the tanks (beacons) and letting other healers take care of the raid is beneficial from a HPS perspective.

Edit: I understand that you don't actually play like this or that you think it's the better way to play, but your statement regarding it being at all beneficial is just plain wrong.
    Last edited by scmeck; 2015-08-07 at 06:51 PM.

well how can anybody "win" healing? on meters? lol one tranq, spirit link or whatever at the right time and the fight is over. if you dont have that in your comp then gg.
    13/13

Monk