Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Powns View Post
    I might become a bum or a swindler, I think I could be good at that.
    Oh man. That's a point. Think of all the scams you could run that haven't been invented yet. From those cup games in the street where you have to find the marble, all the way up to proper pyramid schemes, nigerian prince 419 scam letters, ohhh the potential!

i would demonstrate electronic principles, advanced math (for those times), demonstrable science and probably get myself burned at the stake for being a witch.

but then i'd also help them with plumbing, irrigation and a shit load of modern conveniences.

there was an episode of stargate where a dude ends up on a planet thats essentially like travelling back to 600AD and he becomes king through the kind of things we take for granted. like a flushing toilet, drainage, sewer pipes, a working shower, soap, etc

i'd love to go back to those times tbh, as much as i'd miss modern conveniences, i'd love only have to work the land to live, but yea, i'd probably get stoned to death for being a heathen or crowned for creating war devices.

you could hasten the arrival of the iron age, there's tons of stuff you dont realise you know until you realise they didn't know it.
    <insert witty signature here>

Deleted
    i´d be fucked by muslims

50% of my country was under the control of the calyphate, and i happen to live in an area that it was lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Oh man. That's a point. Think of all the scams you could run that haven't been invented yet. From those cup games in the street where you have to find the marble, all the way up to proper pyramid schemes, nigerian prince 419 scam letters, ohhh the potential!
    I like the way you think!

7+ Year Old Account
    Why not? Be brave! You can take over the world with love and kindness and progress, instead of violence, if you know how to do that stuff?
    think would stay there instead of trying to go back lol

10+ Year Old Account
    This seems really unfair to people in North America :P

I'd probably just give up and say fuck it... No hope of even communicating, no knowledge of the natives in Ohio of 750AD... At least in Europe you can have a chance of communicating since all of the languages are similar and you could at least maybe communicate with the clergy since most spoke and read Latin and many modern words in every European language are adapted from Latin. Plus the history is well known and documented.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I wouldn't be able to do much in my current location, Finland was basically just a few tribes scattered here and there so it's unlikely I'd even find someone for a while, and I'd have no chance of communicating with them since I can't even properly speak modern Finnish, let alone some ancient form of it.

I do live on the coast though so it's possible I could find some kind of trading post to get me to continental Europe, or even Sweden for a start, although the language would be an issue, old norse or whatever they spoke in that age. Really though, language would be the main issue for everyone in this scenario as I highly doubt there's any language in the world that is even remotely similar today as it was nearly 1300 years ago.

I'd probably try heading for France or whatever equivalent existed during that time, 750AD should be roughly around the time of Charlemagne so I could probably nestle my way into his court by showing various technological and scientifical inventions, quality of life improvements mostly considering early medieval Europe was sorely lacking in such things :P

Maybe somehow I could make myself the Holy Roman Emperor and just sort of take things from there...

10+ Year Old Account
    I could give Britain cannons 500 years early. Could probably try to get or at least set the groundwork for muskets.

Strip naked, claim I'd escaped from Vikings and try to encourage people to move towards the centre of the UK. When there I'd supply them with all available information I could to help in the defense of the nation and promptly drive them out of the country 200 years before Alfred the Great can do it. I'd thus be made into at least a noble and then use all of my future information to help further my status within the United Empire (yes I get to name it whatever I want and British is a silly word) and get trade routes set up world wide, once again centuries before they were originally.

Once we'd established ourselves amongst other parts of Europe, Africa and Asia I would push for us to venture West to the promised land of Emercia where we'll make peace with the native tribes there and once again establish trade routes. Now with all that land I'd be transporting those in poverty and in barely habitable conditions to Emercia where they can tend to their own land and set up homesteads etc, all whilst still expanding trade routes.

Soon enough I'd have pretty much the whole world trading with each other and as leader of the great United Empire I'd set into motion plans to establish a parliament made up from representatives of each country along with elected seats/hierarchic positions taking the leading role. Whilst under the trade laws of the United Empire, any forms of invasion, hostility, blackmailing, racism etc etc would be severed from the Empire unless the populace voted in a new leader. All matters of security and borders would be taken to the parliament and as at most only a couple people would be biased (assuming just 1 representative per country) to some of these decisions the remaining members all having a neutral position.

IF cliques started popping up here and there between countries wherein people are trading votes or stances on important decisions (you know like Eurovision where all of England vote for Ireland cuz our act is crap every year) then once again, new representatives/leaders would be voted in.

10+ Year Old Account
    I somehow think that some shmuck just showing up with knowledge of things that he couldn't possibly make himself with the resources (or even his own expertise) available at the time he ends up in would not be able to manage "Taking over the world" when there are already firmly established leaders in every major historical era who are no doubt vastly more familiar with the people and technology of that time period than you could ever hope to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess my best bet would be to claim to be a wandering seer (although I may be too young to pass as that) from a different region, so that would explain the difference in my language and behaviour. I was probably robbed or attacked by wild animals, that's why I have no stuff or something.
    I could foresee the arrival of Charlemagne and christian missionaries in 50somewhat years. So, if the villagers believe me, maybe they would give me stuff like food, clothing and directions, and I could continue on to the next place. Favorably to the southwest towards the franks and Italy... my tiny bit of Latin could be helpful to communicate once I reach christian areas. The "being a seer" and stuff would probably stop working then, though. Too bad it's too early for Charlemagne, if I had luck and was a man, I maybe could have used my knowledge of the future to get to be an advisor of some sorts...
    Thinking about it.. maybe I'd fare better with the non-christian saxons for now, if the seer-thing works. Do I live a regular lifetime, or can I wait longer to get to a time where conquering the world would be an easier feat? If not, I'd probably be stuck with wandering around, telling the future, and then settling down somewhere, sometime.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    This seems really unfair to people in North America :P

I'd probably just give up and say fuck it... No hope of even communicating, no knowledge of the natives in Ohio of 750AD... At least in Europe you can have a chance of communicating since all of the languages are similar and you could at least maybe communicate with the clergy since most spoke and read Latin and many modern words in every European language are adapted from Latin. Plus the history is well known and documented.
    are you fucking kidding me? looool
    noone would be able to communicate, maybe the mediterraneum people could use some latin but even that is a long long shot
    languages were very different, and in that specific year most of the countries were being occupied

Deleted
    There is no way to become a queen/king.

Deleted
    Man, y'all missing out on the opportunity to tell people you're called "The Doctor" too.

10+ Year Old Account
    No chance in hell....... I'd be dead...... 750 AD center of the USA..
    Them Sioux might have a field day with me, if not then the wildlife..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Man, y'all missing out on the opportunity to tell people you're called "The Doctor" too.
    you dont seem to understand that noone would even be able to communicate
    people didnt even speak english in britain

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    are you fucking kidding me? looool
    noone would be able to communicate, maybe the mediterraneum people could use some latin but even that is a long long shot
    languages were very different, and in that specific year most of the countries were being occupied
    You would at the very least be able to communicate at a basic level. Sure they are vastly different from our modern languages, but modern languages emerged over time, they didn't just start happening one day.

And shit, you mention Muslim occupation of many places in Europe at the time, even Arabic influenced modern languages, so you could, at the very least try to communicate at the most basic of level.

The lingua franca for most of Europe in 750 was Latin, which is what educated people learned and it had been the lingua franca for several hundred years by that point... And most of the languages of the era derived a lot of their words from Latin.

The languages in North America have nothing in common with anything.
    Last edited by I Push Buttons; 2015-08-05 at 12:48 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    you dont seem to understand that noone would even be able to communicate
    people didnt even speak english in britain
    Wouldn't take you too long to learn the language, I'm sure. Assuming you weren't straight up killed. Couple of years maybe to be able to speak passable <whatever>. I mean, people move to like other countries nowadays and learn the language in much less time than that. Obviously that's with a lot of modern teaching aids and stuff, but...

10+ Year Old Account
    what an incredibly American post

I am pretty decently covered for summer here, and I live next to a river, right now at work , I have 2 sets of keys (useless, but metal) my wallet (again useless, might be able to trade it for something due to it being nifty) 2 lanyards (my keys are on) and a fully charged phone. With low power mode on, I can use it for about 20 hours before it goes out (it would be off most of the time incase I need it)

My phone is about the most useful thing I have, I dont just have games, I have random music, and oddly enough science/math books and advanced calculators on it. The battery life is what is going to be hardest to deal with since I can recharge it for about 1250 years, but if I am careful I can use what I get from it to help me out.

First off, I know their are native tribes around here during this time frame, since on the river I would just have to travel. Communication will be a bit... difficult, but assuming they dont kill me immediately, I can use the little time my phone has charge for to probably transcribe some of the information from said books into a more permanent form. Afterwards pretty much going to have to learn whatever language they spoke around this time to convey what the books mean.

Take over the world? Not in my lifetime thats for sure, but I would probably set whatever tribe I am in far more advanced than anywhere on earth at the time, at least in the math/scientific advancement department, along with other basic general knowledge from what I know to set them on the path to discover things way ahead of what they should.