Unhappy Is it my GPU or CPU casing WoW to lag?

Hi,

I was looking for some help with upgrading my PC for playing WoW. My current setup is:

i7 2600 3.4GHZ
    nvidia GTX 550ti
    8GB RAM

I last upgraded my PC at the end of Cataclysm and it could run the game on pretty much all ultra, over the course of the next few expansion and the graphical updates to WoW that has been downgraded to 'good' with some things on low. when doing a world boss in a 40 man raid or even in a 30 man pug group it lags like mad when time warp is used.

I'm just wondering is this going to be because of the graphics card or the processor? if I upgrade my GPU would it make much difference to the lag? and if so what one is best in my budget (up to approximately £200 / €290 / $310)

thanks for any help you guys can offer!
    Battletag: Chris#23952 (EU)
    Warlock

I run WoW on a 1st Generation Core i7 850, with 12Gb of Ram, and a GTX 680. I run the game on mostly best settings at 4k with anywhere from ~60 to ~80 fps. Kazzak fights get choppy, but thats becuse its usually 40+ people. But I raid with the same settings with no issue.

I would have to say your video card is holding you back. You have a far better processor than I, but the video card is far less powerful. Get a GTX 960 ($200ish) or a GTX 970 ($320ish)

GPU probably. Test it by reducing graphics settings.

Upgrade to: nVidia GTX 960 4GB or AMD 380 4GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Avikur View Post
    Hi,

I was looking for some help with upgrading my PC for playing WoW. My current setup is:

i7 2600 3.4GHZ
    nvidia GTX 550ti
    8GB RAM

I last upgraded my PC at the end of Cataclysm and it could run the game on pretty much all ultra, over the course of the next few expansion and the graphical updates to WoW that has been downgraded to 'good' with some things on low. when doing a world boss in a 40 man raid or even in a 30 man pug group it lags like mad when time warp is used.

I'm just wondering is this going to be because of the graphics card or the processor? if I upgrade my GPU would it make much difference to the lag? and if so what one is best in my budget (up to approximately £200 / €290 / $310)

thanks for any help you guys can offer!
    add 30 or so £ and get a gtx 970 and you will be set for everything at 1080p for a while

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rynin View Post
    I run WoW on a 1st Generation Core i7 850, with 12Gb of Ram, and a GTX 680. I run the game on mostly best settings at 4k with anywhere from ~60 to ~80 fps. Kazzak fights get choppy, but thats becuse its usually 40+ people. But I raid with the same settings with no issue.

I would have to say your video card is holding you back. You have a far better processor than I, but the video card is far less powerful. Get a GTX 960 ($200ish) or a GTX 970 ($320ish)
    I seriously doubt that since you kind of need to get at least a gtx 980 or some sli to run wow smoothly at 4k, especially on high details and in raids.

would the GTX970 not be overkill for WoW? would the 960 4gb not run it on Ultra in nearly every situation? this is the one I was looking at:

http://www.ebuyer.com/705200-msi-gtx...-960-gaming-4g

thanks for your help :-)
    Warlock

Quote Originally Posted by Rynin View Post
    Calling Shenanigans on this.

Deleted
    Right, theres 2 scenarios you have mentioned you get large frame drops, world boss fights (which always had massive drops in FPS when theres a lot of people, more hardware wont fix this) and when time warp is used ( more actions in a given time is executed and is likely to be caused by recount or the like).

These scenarios tend to be more data driven then gpu driven, spell effects would less likely to hinder you with a stronger gpu but you will breach that limit fast, a nvidia 960 is the only thing I would recommend here unless you play more AAA modern games but even then its a strong card for the moment for this.

Try to disable recount and see if you repeat the same situation or some addons for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Avikur View Post
    would the GTX970 not be overkill for WoW? would the 960 4gb not run it on Ultra in nearly every situation? this is the one I was looking at:

http://www.ebuyer.com/705200-msi-gtx...-960-gaming-4g

thanks for your help :-)
    The 4GB 960 is never worth it. For what the card is designed for, 1080p high-Ultra Settings, you will not need beyond 2GB. It's pretty much a waste. Take a look at these benchmarks:
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/18...-vs-2gb/Page-2

Yes, you can see in nearly every instance the 4GB EVGA 960 very slightly beats out the 2GB ASUS 960. The only reason for that is the EVGA 960 has a higher overclock, it is the EVGA SuperClocked Edition. It has nothing to do with the RAM.

The 970 is a bit overkill for WoW and the R9 390 is currently a better value anyway. If WoW is the only game you play, a 2GB 960 will be plenty for you. If you play some other games occasionally, or want to play some more demanding titles that come out in the next few years, the 390 is a good investment.

EDIT:
    Here is a better comparison:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...review,18.html

As you can see, the cards are dead even. If you look at all the other games they tested, the most of an advantage you saw with the 4GB card was 1FPS. Not worth the extra cost.

thanks for your help guys, I went with the GTX 960 in the end, I'm planning on building a new PC in a few years and figured this will do fine until then ... and if it runs WoW on high/ultra it's one less component to replace when I do the rebuild! thanks again for your help
    Warlock