LastLast

Looking for board game suggestions.

Here is what I need in a game:

1. Easy to learn
    2. Good for young teens
    3. Not based on "Victory Points" to win, or similar
    4 Takes an hour or less to play a full game

Under $40 USD.

A bonus would be if it was in the horror genre.....

Oh, and not that train game by World of Wonder.... we have that.... it's "OK"... not great.
    Last edited by GarlicGuy; 2015-08-06 at 02:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Talisman is always fun.

If I could only have one board game it would be monopoly. Risk is also a pretty fun game. Yahtzee is another classic plus the 5 dice come in handy for playing dice poker.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    That will be hard I think. A board game, for teens, that is easy to learn (hard to master?), no victory points and take about an hour to play and doesn't cost more then $40.

Eldritch Horror (Fantasy Flight Games) fits the three first points, it takes about twice as long to play (depending on the amount of players) tho when you know the rules (which are very easy) but it costs usually about $60. Could probably finder a cheaper copy on Amazon etc. It's the "light" version of Arkham Horror.

Touch of Evil & Last Night on Earth (Flying Frog Productions) is more or less the same as above (boardgame, easy, no victory points ...). Might be a bit faster but it costs about the same.
    Last edited by looorg; 2015-08-06 at 02:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monopoly duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Talisman is always fun.
    Takes under an hour.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    Monopoly duh.
    Is only good if you don't add in all the house rules like money for free parking and other things not in the official rules.

Pandemic is great fun. You are on the same side against the game about 45min. Then have other add on if you go that route.
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30549/pandemic

boardgamegeek.com is a great site.
    Last edited by Logwyn; 2015-08-06 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    If I could only have one board game it would be monopoly. Risk is also a pretty fun game. Yahtzee is another classic plus the 5 dice come in handy for playing dice poker.

well, I was hoping for a more "Outside the Box" kind of suggestion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    Monopoly duh.

My kids hate Monopoly because I ALWAYS win. For them to win, I would have to cheat myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    R......I......S.....K

promotes strategic thinking, in a playful way..

Or.... simpler.... Barricade.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Talisman is always fun.
    I cannot second this hard enough. Well almost, it's over $40. But if you're looking for a horror genre, consider Arkham Horror, a Cthulu (sp?) based game.

Try watching some episodes of Tabletop, Wil Wheaton's boardgame show on Youtube. There's a heap of great games there for all audiences.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a board game that's like the opposite of Plague Inc, and I can't remember the name. Requires you to band together with others and discuss how to solve the issues and save the world.

Not a board game, but the munchkin games are pretty good. Dunno if that falls under your "victory point" ban though.

I honest to god love me a good boardgame and two good ones I found recently would be Zombicide and Arcadia Quest (they retail for $80 though so its a slight hit). The first offers some good co-op gameplay with goals for each campaign to complete and some can go 15-60min depending on how long people take to make decisions, while the second is confrontational and has the option to beat down on the other players in addition to completing the goals of the campaign. The rules can be lengthy but if one person reads them they are easier to explain and both have shorthand versions of the rules on the back of the books.

Uh, another one that's not a board game, grave robbers from outer space. Card game that makes fun of funny b horror movies.

7+ Year Old Account
    Settlers of Catan! Great game once you learn it. I'd buy it if I wasn't a poor college student
    You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of Humanity in your hearts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What exactly was the bet I made with the Klingon sex workers?

I hope someone doesn't sig this post...

The ones I used to play with my family growing up... were Sorry!, Monopoly, Risk, and the Life. Sorry! doesn't take very long either. The other 3... not so much. Uno is also fun, and so is Apples to Apples... which I've played at family gatherings a few times.

Some of those are way over an hour though :P

Quote Originally Posted by DocHibb View Post
    Settlers of Catan! Great game once you learn it. I'd buy it if I wasn't a poor college student
    Victory points.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Victory points.
    Ya, I'm guessing that settlers was the reason he excluded games with victory points.