Stood in the Fire Chromeshellking's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question regarding physical memory usage

I Have 16 gbs of ram and have noticed while I play wow and use Google chrome that randomly my usage will spike to 11-13 out of 16 gb and no clue why this happens and why it won't revert after closing both. I use 2 monitors and my Cpu never goes above 50 percent while both are going.

10+ Year Old Account
    Open up task manager and find out what is using it.

For reference, I have WoW, Skype video, excel, hangouts, irc, and chrome (6 tabs) open at the moment and Im using about 9gb.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    And that is about my average as well. But randomly will it spike and I cannot determine nor pinpoint an exact cause. Granted this system is 5 years old now so problems are going to keep showing up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean... Task Manager will show you exactly whats using it up.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Which I look at after I closed both down and still my ram usage was in the range of 80 percent. I cannot understand why after 20-30 min it is still showing such high usage with no chrome or Wow.

Windows uses available RAM for HDD caching because otherwise it would be just sitting idle. I assume you're getting confused between available and unused RAM.

Also Chrome is known to be really bad RAM hog... It's totally normal 20 open tabs use few gigs of RAM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Also Chrome is known to be really bad RAM hog... It's totally normal 20 open tabs use few gigs of RAM.
    ..Yes and no. It handles it with caching sort of weird. When I mentioned earlier I had about ~9gb used with 6 tabs and other stuff? I went ahead an did 'open all bookmarks' and opened about ~60 pages. once loaded, it used about an extra 800mb. Closing chrome freed about 2gb. Chrome front loads a lot of cached ram, so opening more pages doesn't use much.

That said... OP.. you said you looked, but you still aren't providing any info.

Give us a screenshot of your processes, if you can.

Also, do you use Hangouts?

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    ..Yes and no. It handles it with caching sort of weird. When I mentioned earlier I had about ~9gb used with 6 tabs and other stuff? I went ahead an did 'open all bookmarks' and opened about ~60 pages. once loaded, it used about an extra 800mb. Closing chrome freed about 2gb. Chrome front loads a lot of cached ram, so opening more pages doesn't use much.
    It's the sandboxing in chrome that eats RAM. Depends on what kind of content the page has. More plugins/scripts used will use more memory, and very simple pages with nothing beyond pure HTML wont use much memory at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    hangouts no I do not use. and pic here http://i.imgur.com/oZECh9j.jpg and yes it is safe.
    Last edited by Chromeshellking; 2015-08-07 at 09:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds more like something of a memory leak. It is usually caused by some sort of software messing things up on a system level. For example Corsair Link is or used to be a popular culprit.

Would help if the screenshot was with the problem actually happening but seeing you have over a dozen orso chrome tabs open I can image you would be using up a ton of memory. I also don't see a problem with using up system resources like you do that's basically why you have them, if you don''t want/need 16GB you should not have gotten it, unless ofc your computer would be experiencing slowdowns or stuttering.

10+ Year Old Account
    At that time I only had 7 tabs open Chrome has a notorious habit of having more processes vs tabs being open. Would putting the computer to sleep vs shutdown affect that possibility or no?

with chrome running

http://i.imgur.com/YZC4tW5.png

after
    http://i.imgur.com/32Azbmq.png
    http://i.imgur.com/KH7tIxg.png
    Last edited by Chromeshellking; 2015-08-14 at 02:48 AM. Reason: context.